Front Bearing Removal - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 12:34 AM Thread Starter

Front Bearing Removal

I know someone already posted a bearing thread but it was WAY down the list and I thought I had some more information (or at least some clarification).

If any of you read my very first intro post, you will know what I went through before I even got to the bearings, so here is that chapter of the novel that is becoming this bikes repair list.

I saw that some of you had brought your front tire to the shop to have the bearing pulled, and I will admit that I was on the verge of doing so myself. I took a break after hammering on this thing for like 3 hours. I was very frustrated and my vocabulary for swearing at things was running real low. I came back to the site to search again for a removal description and finally found one, but it was a little non-descript. It did give me another way to look at it, but the fact is, I got lucky.

What I did was this: tire laying left side up (speedo side) I took the brass drift and tapped on the spacer where it meets the bearing inner race, trying to move it over a little more. I moved it a lot. Then I flipped the wheel over and could actually see the inner race of the bearing for once. I hammered on that with a mighty and frustrated blow and freed the bearing finally. I dont think I needed to hammer that hard, but hey, I was pissed off. Thing is, If you try to free the opposite end, you won't get it because the inside of the hub tapers down to a seat for the other bearing. You have to do the left side first, after tapping the spacer way in (it moves quite a bit), and flipping it over in order to hammer it out. Took me about 2 minutes to finish up from there, so I hope that someone reads this before going through two day of swearing, a smashed finger, and a bruised ego.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Hey, yeah, where were you when I needed you two months ago??? Just kidding - my easy solution was to go to my local mechanic and borrow his blind bearing puller. Popped 'em right out, none the worse for wear. Had the toolkit back to him in 10 minutes.

C
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2007, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Clymer Stinks

I have found the Clymer manual very usefull for most basic things, but you wont find a very descriptive bearing removal procedure. My buddy has an '85 zn700, which is very similar to the vn (frame-wise anyway). His clymer manual gives the EXACT same bearing removal procedure. I'm dissapointed in the manual. I also have yet to find anything on the ACCT in there. I'm hearing that "chattering" from my heads, now. Well, more like a full blown conversation. How hard a fix is that?

Well, I hope my trouble with the bearings helps someone out in the future, anyway.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 09:02 AM

Getting them out is easy when you have the correct tool. Have fun putting the new ones in. Dont pull a page from my book and use a candelstick holder and a claw hammer to press them in (although it worked ) Get the correct tool.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LurchChaos View Post
Getting them out is easy when you have the correct tool. Have fun putting the new ones in. Dont pull a page from my book and use a candelstick holder and a claw hammer to press them in (although it worked ) Get the correct tool.
Lurch, you used the candlestick holder for the front wheel bearings, right? Not for anything having to do with the ACCT?

C
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM

I'm going to let the shop sort my front bearing out - but it has gone and the bike has only done 13000 miles. The guy in the shop says that the bikes are fairly heavy and this is not unusual - does that sound right ?
Thanks
Simon
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:55 AM

Front bearing lockup

I have a 85vn700 that I fished out of a salvage yard and rebuilding
I have it running ok but the other day the front wheel locked up on me luckly
i had just left a stop light so I didn't do a face plant the thing is when I got the new bearings they where sealded on both sides but when i pulled the front tire the hub was full of old grease . are the bearings normaly sealed on both sides or just one

85VN700
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 03:53 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkdg View Post
are the bearings normaly sealed on both sides or just one
With there being no grease fitting on the wheel, sealed on both sides is fine. But it wouldn't hurt to carefully pull one seal off (a small pick works good), pack the bearing with as much grease as ya can, then replace the seal.
Most bearing have very little grease in them when new.

Good to hear ya weren't going too fast when the wheel locked up!!
And best of luck on the rebuild.

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingbender View Post
I have found the Clymer manual very usefull for most basic things, but you wont find a very descriptive bearing removal procedure. My buddy has an '85 zn700, which is very similar to the vn (frame-wise anyway). His clymer manual gives the EXACT same bearing removal procedure. I'm dissapointed in the manual. I also have yet to find anything on the ACCT in there. I'm hearing that "chattering" from my heads, now. Well, more like a full blown conversation. How hard a fix is that?

Well, I hope my trouble with the bearings helps someone out in the future, anyway.
The chattering is pretty easy to fix, especially compared to replacing wheel bearings! If you order the new springs from TOCmanufacturing.com for about $20, their instructions are pretty good. But if you do a search here for ACCT instructions, you will find a better set that one of our members did for installing the new springs. New springs properly loaded should fix the chatter. Good luck!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement