Brake Lever for 1990 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Brake Lever for 1990

This is a great forum. However, I have searched here but not found an answer to this seemingly simple question. Where can I get a replacement front brake lever for a 1990 Vulcan 750 (rectangular master cylinder)? Kawasaki parts houses do not seem to have OEM brake levers for sale any longer. I have searched Ebay, Amazon, the Web in general and multiple supplier/retailer sites without success.

I must be missing something, and I apologize for that (as well as all my other faults) in advance! I just cannot find anything.

It would be great if anyone could give me a source and a part number for this item. The existing lever (silver) still works, but I broke off the ball-tipped end. The clutch lever is fine, but I am not opposed to replacing both levers with aftermarket items if that is what I must do to have a matching set of levers.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:28 PM

ebay

i got a pair on ebay for around 17.00. just did a search for vulcan 750 brake lever, and got 181 listings. i am sure there will be something you wouls like.

1994 Vulcan 750 13000 miles
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 04:53 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Lever changed after 93.
Here's a few for 86-93 models:
http://m.ebay.com/search?cmd=SKW&kw=...ke+lever&pgn=1

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 06:55 PM

If you have a rectangular MC, then its off of an 85/86....I might have one...will check tomorrow....the brake side for the round MCs (newer ones) wont work on the rectangles w/o machining....

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter

Brake lever for 1990

Thanks to everyone for the information so far. Let me respond to some of the points raised before this gets even more confusing!

My bike is a 1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750.

According to the many Kawasaki OEM parts fiche sites, the part number for the front brake lever for this year is (in the fiche diagram) 46092. The fiche display shows only a rectangular master cylinder. If you look at the same OEM fiche for a 1991 Vulcan, the part number changes to 46092/A. The 1991 display also shows a circular master cylinder.

When you compare the two levers as they appear in the fiche, they are clearly different. I think I have successfully added an image to this post which shows the levers side-by-side as they appear in the OEM fiches (PartShark.com in this case). The one on the left is for 1990; the one on the right is for 1991.

I mean no disrespect to anyone when I make the following comments. Indeed, I may once again be only demonstrating my (sometimes appalling) ignorance:

Wolfie: I am confused by your post advising my lever must be from an 85/86. The fiche for 1986 does seem to show the same lever shape and design as for 1990. Perhaps there is a difference that is not obvious in the fiche? I do appreciate your offer to see if you have one. If you do have one in good shape, please let me know.

Knifemaker: Your post advising that the lever style changed only after 1993 seems unsupported by the OEM fiche material I have seen. The 1994 fiche, by the way, shows the same style lever as in 1991 although the part number next to the lever changes back to the 1990 number of 46092 and not 46092/A. Your suggested search at Ebay does turn up multiple levers of both styles. This is a big part of the reason for my confusion and hesitation to order a replacement. However, now that I have taken the time to carefully look at the fiche diagrams and create the attachment to this email, I have a graphic which should help me sort through the Ebay items and pick out the correct lever if Wolfie does not have one. Frankly, I should have done this before seeking help from the forum members.

Chucklesmii: See my comment for Knifemaker.

Again, I mean absolutely no offense to anyone who has been kind enough to respond to my original post. I certainly do not have the experience and knowledge that so many of the members of this forum possess, and I always appreciate any help I can get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lever1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	10978  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2013, 09:09 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Exclamation

I'm not offended here. I might have the date of the change wrong. I couldn't remember and was just going by the info posted on eBay.

To make this perfectly clear for you, through its entire model run, the Vulcan 700/750 only used two different brake levers. One for the rectangular master cylinder and one for the round one. Early models used the former. Whether it was 1990 or 1993 when they changed to a round master cylinder don't matter, you just need to get the one that fits your master cylinder.

The eBay link I gave you was for you to simply pick out the one you have, as I saw it showed both types. Seems you're over thinking this, but you likely did not know that just about every part on the bike is interchangeable with any model year, from 1985 to 2006..... The only exception is the front brake lever.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 06:40 PM

I could be wrong on the date they changed over as well....I thought it was only the first 2 years that had the rectangular....but regardless....if you have a rectangle, you need the specific to fit it.....

I found one, but was for the round....I'll check more boxes tomorrow....Im sure I got one...

The older ones were black too....the newer ones silver....

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-04-2013, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

Brake lever for 1990

Thanks Wolfie. Don't spend too much time looking. I see now that Ebay does have a replacement. Surprising, though, that all of the vendors seem to be in the UK! None of the aftermarket suppliers (Bikemaster, e.g.) in the US appears to offer any if my searches are correct.

Knifemaker, I think you are exactly right. I have over-thought this way too much. Still, the responses from forum members like you forced me to look at the problem a little differently, and that has made all the difference. Thanks to all.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-05-2013, 01:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I'll add that several folks have replaced their rectangular MC's with the "newer" round one so they could install the wide blade levers still available.....and so they don't have to worry about finding replacements later if needed.

As time goes on finding the older lever will likely be harder.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement