Couple of newb questions about brakes... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Couple of newb questions about brakes...

I just bought an 86 750. Its my first bike, and its in fair condition. A couple of questions I'm hoping experienced riders can tell me...

* Are there any "how to" guides out there for changing the front brakes. I think I can figure it out, but a "how to" would help.

* What thickness/depths are usually needed on the tires/brakes to pass an inspection? I'm planning on replacing tires & brakes anyway, but the bike is not inspected and I'm wondering if the old ones will pass in the meantime.

* How much does it usually run to get a set of tires installed?

* And finally, I have a little oil around the brake pad area. The bike's been sitting for a long time, and I don't see any obvious leaks. Is this normal, or is this a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:08 PM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
Is the oil by the front brakes, If so it might be the fork seals leaking.
I'm not sure about inspection, Illinois you don't neet to do a inspection.
The front brakes are not to hard to do.
just do one side at a time, when you push in the caliper on one side it can push the other side out.
Tires will depend on what kind you get and if you bring the tires to be done off the bike or you bring them the bike.
I got my Metzlers installed, I brought them the rim's for a little over $300.
That was front and back with a 110 on the front.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Thanks -- I know the fork does leak slightly. Is the fork leaking a big problem (its only a drop or two that I noticed on the upper part of the shock when I compress the shocks a lot)?

I heard a lot of people mentioning removing the wheels before going in to have them replaced. Is it a big deal to remove them, or does it cost a lot more at the shop if you just ride there?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:14 PM
HAWK

Here is a link to when Bulldog and myself did his.
http://www.breyn.com/vn750/forkseals.htm

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Wow, that looks like quite an effort. How long does it take for a small leak to become a big problem? Is it okay riding as is (with a small drop here or there)?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:41 PM
HAWK

It took us a couple of hours, but I am a master mechanic and can do things easer.
You don't want to run out of oil. That is your dampining system, without the oil the front end will get bouncy, Not a good thing to have on a bike.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Two weekends ago, I just pulled apart my front brakes (and two additional pair I have sitting around), for want of anything better to do. You'll want to make sure you catch brake fluid when you unscrew the hose from the caliper, and when you open the bleed valve (should have a rubber cap on it, towards the top of each caliper). As you push back the piston, it'll spew brake fluid otherwise.

To get the pads out, so you can at least check them for thickness, the inside pad should pop right out. The outer pad can be a pain. I used a c-clamp to make sure the piston was all the way in (thanks, Carl!), and then I could remove the outer pad. I cleaned both pads with steel wool, and decided they needed to be replaced. But it at least gave me a chance to check 'em. I also pulled out everything I could (spring clip thing, caliper arms) to clean and inspect. Put each caliper back together, reattached the hose to each one, and then learned how to set the brake pressure (thanks, Carl, again).

The thing I'm learning is that when in doubt, pull it out and inspect the part. If you have a digital camera, your 'before' pics can help you when you go back to assemble stuff. But there's tons of folks here who can walk you through stuff, too. The first time is hard; after that, you gain a little confidence and you'll be looking for things to dismantle.

C
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 09:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Get a Clymer's manual. A Kaw service manual can be had here http://www.tocmanufacturing.com/File...nd%20Parts.pdf. Between these two and asking in here, you get all you need to know.

One of your most important areas is your front brakes. The back does next to nothing. It's not a tough job, but for a bike thats 22 years old, I would replace the front pads, replace the fork seals & fork oil, and put on stainless steel front lines. I can't stress how important those front brakes are to your well being.

Set of pads is under $ 30, complete fork seal parts around $ 30, stainless steel front lines under $ 100. I can't spend your money for you, but these are some of the first things I did when I got my 93.

There are plenty of us here to help you through these tasks. If you are only slightly mechanically inclined, it's a Saturday job. No special tools needed.

After your front brake, comes your tires. I paid $ 1340 for a set of Dunlap D404's delivered. Another $ 45 to get them mounted and balanced when I rolled them inot a Honda dealer. While that front tire is off, your a ways into whats needed for the fork seals and brake pads.

While that back tire is off, you're ready to lube the front and rear splines.

The rear splines aren't necesarily a safety issue (but could be), but a very expensive proposition to replace if they get ruined.

Again, we are all here to help.

Ask away.

Welcome aboard!

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 AM
and the Adventure Cycle

Welcome to the forum SpaceBoy

For tread depth needed for inspection (atleast here in PA) take a penny, hold it so Lincoln's head is pointing down, place it into the tread, if you can see the top of his head, the tires probably wont pass.

One trick to possibly stop the forks from leaking is to get something like a piece of a negative from camera film and carefully work it between and around the shock and the seal. Sometimes there's just some dirt in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93VN750
After your front brake, comes your tires. I paid $ 1340 for a set of Dunlap D404's delivered.
Jon, that was some mighty expensive shipping for the tires you got !!! LOL

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 07:24 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperbuzzin View Post
Welcome to the forum SpaceBoy

For tread depth needed for inspection (atleast here in PA) take a penny, hold it so Lincoln's head is pointing down, place it into the tread, if you can see the top of his head, the tires probably wont pass.

One trick to possibly stop the forks from leaking is to get something like a piece of a negative from camera film and carefully work it between and around the shock and the seal. Sometimes there's just some dirt in there.

Jon, that was some mighty expensive shipping for the tires you got !!! LOL
Doh!

That was $ 140.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement