Front brakes won't decompress??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter

Front brakes won't decompress???

I'm having a problem where the front brakes don't seem to want to decompress.
It also seems to occur after sitting awhile or overnight. After this occurred yesterday I tried to clean up the pistons in the calipers. I removed the pads and pumped the brake lever to expand the pistons out of the calipers just a little bit and used some emery cloth along the outside of the pistons. I didn't want to remove the piston entirely because my local Kaw dealer didn't stock the seals/dust covers. I did this to both calipers. It seemed to work for a while. I took the bike out for a test ride and later last night for a short ride, and all seemed fine. Once again today after a short ride the I can barely squeeze the brake lever. I was thinking of ordering seals and dust covers and rebuilding the calipers but was wondering if maybe the master is the problem. I replaced the master cylinder with a used one recently. The brakes have been bled several times with a MightVac so I am pretty sure I filled with clean fresh DOT4 brake fluid. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-29-2007, 10:25 PM

my first reaction would be none of the above-

you have a classic case of constricted lines-- replace your soft brake lines with new ones and I bet the problem goes away.

especially after sitting for a while, this can be a problem--
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-01-2007, 06:57 AM

Your problem sounds like the plunger on the master cylinder. I know this sounds like a big deal, but it isn't. The next time this happens take the brake lever off and try to pull the plunger out with a pair of plyers. You can buy a new plunger or possibly a rebuild kit. I had to do the same with mine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement