front rake and forks.... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

front rake and forks....

So I have read that the 1500 trees fit on the 750. And from what I read the 1500 forks are 41mm? I am wondering if anyone has put on harley forks with a 21" wheel. If so how much wider are the forks compared to tire size? Trying to figure out what work and parts would be needed if I decided to go this route. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
If you go with Harely Forks, you would need the same parts as if you were going with the VN1500 BUBF... which is:
Forks
Triple Trees
Handle Bar Risers
Hand Controls
Handle Bars
Axle
Axle Spacers
Upper Head Bearings (25 x 47 x 15 **Kawasaki Fork Conversion Only** I don't have Harley Bearing listings)
Lower Head Bearings (28 x 52 x 16.5 **Kawasaki Fork Conversion Only** I don't have Harley Bearing listings)
Wheel
Brake Caliper(s)
Brake Rotor(s)
Speedo Drive Hub (assuming you are going to use a mechanical speedo, other wise you will need an electrical speedo pick up sensor)

This is probably the best way to go
1994 94 Kawasaki VN1500 VN 1500 Front Forks Triple Tree Brake Caliper Axle

you mention rake. Just replacing the Forks won't increase your rake that much. the VN1500 Fork is only a an inch at best longer than the 750 forks, and Harley, is 3/4" longer. The benefit is only to get rid of the hideous upper triple tree, and getting a larger diameter Fork Tube. Also if you go with Harley like you suggested then you can use a 21" wheel.

Also with the VN1500 Fork swap, it has to be a pre Y2K model, Classic or standard, No Drifters or Meanies... they use larger bearings and would also need a larger neck.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Yeah I know that not the rake I am going to rake it and and get longer fork tubes. I was debating the harley because extended fork tubes are easier and cheaper for me to come by. My next question then would be if you or anyone knows of a 21" front rim that would fit the vn1500 forks?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:04 AM Thread Starter

Oh and does the 94 1500 triples do a direct bolt in replacement
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:08 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
only thing I forgot to add about the VN1500 swap... you have to machine a bushing for the top of the neck... I forget how thick it is.. but its pretty close to 2 1/2 washers thick.
if you are getting longer tubes, YOu could go with any size wheel you wanted...

here is a link to help you figure out conversions and stuff for forks and every thing related with the front end swap
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:12 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
if you are just trying to get longer tubes.... Call Frank's Maintenance and Engineering, Inc. they have the best pricing and can make your forks for the stock triple tree.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:16 AM Thread Starter

Do you happen to know the distance font fork to fork on center with the 1500 tree. Looking for differences in width
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:21 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
not a clue... I couldn't find axle lengths or fork tube lengths... the conversion chart is a work in progress, I have been piecing it together for several years now.

Email pinwall_cycle_part (ebay store name) and ask him to measure the top tripple for you, or an axle... any VN1500 from 1987-1997 will work, after 1997 a little more modifications need to be done. while you are at it, you could ask him to measure the length of both a stock vn750 lower triple tree pin and that of a 87-97 Vn1500 to figure out how much of a spacer would need to be made.

Last edited by slimvulcanrider; 07-17-2013 at 12:26 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

Ok cool. Thanks alot for all the info. Last question for know is are all the vn1500 triples fit or are the certain years
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-17-2013, 12:52 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
iirc 1999 and earlier. The info is in the chart I listed earlier. First post in the thread links to my conversion chart. Save it to your computer and open it with Ms office then you can search the document for VN750 and find all compatible parts in the front suspension and string parts... I can't remember if I got into brake parts at all... I figured that a person would use brakes of of the donor fork tubes.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement