Master Cylinder interchangeability... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Master Cylinder interchangeability...

Hi everyone...I am new to this forum. I recently picked up an 86 VN750 that needs some TLC. Amongst other items, I am replacing the front master cylinder. Is the rectangular front master cylinder from my 86 interchangeable with the round units found in later years?

I have learned the brake levers are different.

Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

If you are changing the entire master cylinder, including the brake line, lever and clamp, I would think it should definitely work.

Ron Ayers parts diagram shows the brake line part numbers as being different, but also says the one from the '86 has been superseded by the same one as on the round master cylinder.
Here's the two diagram so you can compare them....

rectangular front brake lever diagram
round front brake lever diagram

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-22-2007, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help...here the long story. The best price "new" I found was from Ron Ayers ($209.00). Since I only spent $300 on the bike to begin with I was hoping for a cheaper way around. I found on the web LA Motorcycle Salvage and he offered a used master cylinder for $65 plus $15 for shipping. Not too bad...even if I gotta rebuild it. Naturally the round one arrived yesterday. It came with the brake lever and the brake hose attached. But what is throwing me off is that the brake hose seems much longer than the one that is on the bike now. I only "eyeballed" it last night, and quickly decided that it might only be a matter of using the old brake hose. I'm not going to work on the bike again until Saturday morning so I figured I post a question here to ease my mind. In the interim I called my parts guy at my "stealership" (LOL!) and perhaps he offered the best advice. He said put it on and bleed it....if it pressurizes, and dont leak, it works!

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 01:04 AM
Uber Member

Send a message via AIM to Hizzo3 Send a message via Yahoo to Hizzo3
i would also check the hose for cracks being that old. may not leak....yet... small peice of mind for something that can save your life....

'04 Vn750
Currently Installed
nat'l cycle deflector shield
westco 12v30 MF, 30A/h w/ 350 CCA's w/ custom box
TOC stator cover w/ Frankenstator mod!
R/R relo

Soon to have (own or on order)
TOC ACCT's
Mez's 110-FRT 170/80-Rear
Custom rear fender and tail light
Givi hard bags w/ custom rear turn signals

Band Engineer/Webmaster for Josey Contreras Tejano Band
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 08:22 AM Thread Starter

Good Point! The bike is awfully old, and piece of mind is great to have. I've read in these forums about pressurizing the system for 24 hrs by compressing the brake lever and leaving it that way for overnight. I remember someone stating that "if the line is gonna leak or burst, better that it happens then". That sounds like a good idea for starters. It sounded like a great way to insure all the air is out of the system as well as testing for faulty brake lines/connections. Any thoughts on this overnight test? I'm not really sure what my plans are with this bike. My "main" ride is a 05 Classic 1500, but thats sitting on the jack with the fenders and tank out for custom paint. I may just fix the 750 up for re-sale but we'll see. I'm probably not going to know for sure til I hop on for a few days, when the weather breaks. Soon...I hope!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Avid Rider

Send a message via Yahoo to stevebtx12
Securing the front brake lever overnight is a great way to make sure that all the air is out, and the system is leak proof. Did it the last time I replaced the brake fluid, I used a nylon zip tie to secure the lever down, worked great.

Steve in TX
'06 VN1600 Classic
V&H Bigshots
F&S windshield/lowers
Mustang seat/driver backrest
OEM saddle bags/Easy brackets
Phatt II risers
Cobra fatty highway bar/Kury Dually highway pegs
Cobra sissy bar/luggage rack
Iso Flame grips/throttle boss
VROC #22372
-------------
"Some days you're the windshield, some days you're the bug." (me)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 04:49 PM Thread Starter

Looks as though I got the wrong one after all. The Master I got is for 1" bars...the saga continues. My supplier is trying to track down the correct one for me now.

Thanks for the feedback...though!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 07:29 PM
Growling at the World...

Send a message via Yahoo to bulldog485
Keep an eye on eBay. I found one in a box of parts I won from that Pandif seller. I bid $20 for a box of crap that had a kickstand in it that I wanted to get chromed. In addition to the KS, I had a master cylinder that I gave to Professor, some carb boots that I gave to a local VN750 rider who was selling his bike and had a cracked seal, a rear fender, tons of assorted bolts and rubber do-hickies. Whenever someone needs something I might have, I mail it to them. Kinda like a FCC-Chicago. (of course, that is when I remember and when the CRS is not too bad)

Evan Breyn ~ The Bulldog
http://www.bulldogsbike.com
2006 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic FLHTCUI ~ The Big Black Bitch ~ 26,000 miles.
2002 Kawasaki Nomad 1500 ~ The Red Dog ~ Traded in at 22,000 miles of smiles (purchased new 10/05 / Traded in 6/12).
1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 ~ Black Betty ~ 34,999.7 miles
VROC ~v~ 485
McHenry County Road Pirates
Chicagoland, IL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement