Lost speedo drive cable today - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2004, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Angry Lost speedo drive cable today

Went for a medium-short ride this morning. Somwhere in PA on Rte 372 between Quarryville and Buck my speedometer stopped working. Thinking, oh-sh!t, what now? Cable snapped? Drive gear stripped? Speedo went out to lunch? Stopped at Lock 12 on the other side of the Norman Wood bridge to take a look. Speedo cable housing had unscrewed itself from the drive at the wheel. Inner drive cable nowhere to be found. Retraced the last 15 miles looking for it, but no joy. Called Pete's Cycle, they have one in stock. That's new, they usually have to order everything. Went and got it, $17.99 plus tax for the cable assembly. Not as cheap as I could probably get it on the internet, but available now. New cable is installed with a little dab of blue loctite on the the threads. The kind that comes in stick form so it won't dribble into the drive gears and lock them up.

Bike has almost 16,000 miles on it. My guess is that the mech who put my new tires on a couple months ago didn't tighten it enough.

A word to the wise, check the cable housing connection at the drive end. It's hard to see, kind of buried behind the left slider.

I will have to ignore the lousy gas mileage computation that I will get at the next fill up.

Dennis in Maryland
AKA - The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'
http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 01:18 PM

Re: Lost speedo drive cable today

Dennis...sounds like an easy install. You don't have to unscrew the connector from the speedo...just lube & install from the drive unit at the bottom???
I will be replacing my tires myself soon...maybe I'll just replace the speedo cable also after 31,000+ miles...
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 02:49 PM

1. yes, you can feed it up from the bottom (I watched Starr do it).
2. A little moly grease on the cable goes a long way (again, learned from Starr).

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 03:28 PM
spence

Send a message via AIM to spence

Been there done that

1982 KZ1000
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 04:45 PM Thread Starter

The new part included the drive cable and the housing. I replaced the whole thing. If anyone needs the housing, I have a used one with about 16,000 miles on it.
Drive cable was prelubed with some kind of black grease. I am assuming it's moly. Sprayed a little lube in anyway.

Dennis in Maryland
AKA - The Krusty Old Phart
Still turnin' burnin' and lurnin'
http://photos.yahoo.com/krustyoldphart
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-19-2004, 08:36 PM

What kind of lube did you spray in there? I hope it wasn't somthing that would dilute the grease. It's a good idea to grease the speedo and the tacho cable once a year.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 05:23 AM

Knuckles we do not have a tach cable. Its electric.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-21-2004, 09:34 AM

True. I was thinking about my old Honda Shadow. My speedo cable broke shortly after I bought it. I replaced it and lubed up the tach cable at that time. It was also a little rusty. Good preventive maint. I may go crazy and lube my wire anyway. I just can't get enough good lubing.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-10-2004, 07:09 AM

Smile Re: Lost speedo drive cable today

I recently had a problem with the speedometer on my Vulcan. Thought it was the cable, so I ordered a new one from Dennis Kirk....good customer service, ups shipped it th the wrong address, a call to them solved the problem. Anyway, after getting the cable and installing it, it wasn't the fault of the cable. I needed a new speedometer drive or sending unit. It's located on the front wheel left side, cable screws into it. Got that part from Kawasaki through the dealer. It was the same price as aftermarket vendors. It was an easy installation, took about 20 minutes, and poof....working speedometer. Bit by bit, and piece by piece, I'm getting a new 1985 Vulcan 700....
Wayne
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Forum Faciliator

What Knuckles said is correct. You should not use standard cable spray lube on the speedo cable. It needs to be greased. You can remove the speedo cable very easily. (First pay attention to how it is routed and hooked, so you can put it back the same way) Once you remove the speedo cable, you can pull the inner cable out of the sheath, and grease it and put it back in. The standard cable spray lube will just dilute/wash out the grease that is in there, and that is not good.

RB

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisinmd
The new part included the drive cable and the housing. I replaced the whole thing. If anyone needs the housing, I have a used one with about 16,000 miles on it.
Drive cable was prelubed with some kind of black grease. I am assuming it's moly. Sprayed a little lube in anyway.

Red Baron
Binghamton, NY
Alright Already, Lets Ride!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement