Need to know orientation of speedo gear drive on front wheel - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Linkmeister Supreme

Need to know orientation of speedo gear drive on front wheel

I did not take any pics, or pay enough attention to the orientation of the speedo gear drive when pulling the front wheel assembly.

It appears to me that the cable should come out underneath the brake caliper, up through the elongated chrome guide ring, then up to the speedo head. In this orientation there is a small aluminum protrusion on the lower/outer fork tube that sits in a small opening or "valley" on the drive unit that only allows it to rotate a few degrees forward or back.

The problem I have is that the cable seems stretched tighter than previously, and I can't screw the cable nut onto the head.

NOTE that the inner cable is broken and seized, so the square end does not turn easily to align with the female coupling in the head.

I ended up taping the top end of the cable sheath to the fork tube until I get a new/used speedo cable to replace this one.

If someone could confirm my speedo drive orientation is correct I will be most appreciative. A picture or two would be helpful as well.

Now a report on my first attempt at changing an mc tire

I changed out the front tire today for a 110/90-19 Challenger by Kenda.
Same model as the 100/90 it replaced.

Got it from the Honda/Suzuki dealer last week for $62, the price quoted and written down by parts man on the back of his business card 6-8 moths ago. Tire prices have gone up apparently as the current price was $78 when I phoned to check if there was one in stock. I needed the tire so I went to get it even at the higher price.

Showed the card and handwritten price to guy at the desk. It was his handwriting and he honored the price quote.
Pretty decent of him I thought, and he bought some goodwill and positive word of mouth reputation for his store.

Because of the tire price deal I decided to buy an 8 oz bottle of Ride-On tire sealant and balancer from him too, even though it cost more at $25 and change, than I could have bought it online.

Was gonna try the zip tie tire dismount and mounting procedure in Spockster's thread a few weeks ago, but could not break the bead with my C-clamps.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23647

Went over to a retired mechanic friend's house who is also a rider, and we broke in a set of his new tire irons and rim protectors.

We took off a 1 oz crimped on lead weight, and balanced the tire using the axle suspended between a pair of jack stands. Used three 1/4 oz stick-on weights to achieve a static balance.

Have not gone for a test ride yet to determine how good my balance job is.
Want it close before adding Ride-On to tire. Working the math equation for my tire size, their recommended quantity for my tire was about 7.5 oz. If you do not do a static balance, you can use just Ride-On, but they recommend using 25% more, or about 9.5-10 oz for a 110/90-19 tire.

I will report more after some riding on the new tire. I commute about 200 km/120 mi to work each week, and have a 400 plus km trip planned for next Saturday to the South East Alberta Rally, my first . I will ride for a few days before adding the Ride-On to see if I can notice a difference in ride/balance/bouncing/etc. before and after.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 06-16-2013 at 02:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 AM
Dr. Vulcanstein

The routing of your cable is correct (speedo drive hub should be facing straight down, find a vn750 image on Google images) , however you need to be cautious when you get your new cable. If it isn't an oem replacement chances are it'll be about 5" too short. I bought mine off eBay and both were short forcing me to rout the cable up over the caliper rather than underneath it. I've put about 15 miles on it at about 75 mph, so far its doing fine ,only time will tell.

As far as balancing goes I like to use dynabeads, takes all the guess work out and you get a perfect balance.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 10:44 AM

I must have the mother of all c-clamps, the front tire gave up first try.

Sounds like you have it right, OHC. But the drive on my bike was facing straight toward the rear instead of straight down. If it was straight down, the cable would have to make a 90 turn upward, or maybe that's 180. Also with straight down, you only engage one of the stops, instead of getting between the two.

Mounted mine Friday, Pics here: https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...t=30881&page=3

I had a scratch n dent bottle of Ride On, so I only put about 7oz in my front tire, it's working great. Didn't do any static balancing.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 06-16-2013 at 11:53 AM.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I always set it almost straight back or just a little bit up from straight back.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-25-2013, 12:29 AM
2001 VN 750

Oh, oh!!! I actually know the answer!! I just changed my tires last week. Looking at the speedo in your left palm with the flat side down, point the nipple that has threads for the speedo cable tword your fingers. There are two notches with alittle space between them on the top side of the speedo, (should be beside your index finger knuckle) there is a little metal piece on the fork that HAS to be between the two notches on the speedo. When you get the axel in and into the speedo, if you haven't positioned the speedo correctly, it will spin all the way around if you push on the nipple. If it dosen't spin and faces tword the rear tire, you just tighten the cable on and away you go!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement