Ride-On to fix leak ? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Ride-On to fix leak ?

Ok - to all you proponents of Ride-On

It seems I have a leak in my almost brand new front tire. I'm still looking for the leak.

I have called a couple local shops about patching it once I find the leak and both say they no longer do patches for liability reasons. I started with that route because I have never patched one myself.

I know Ride-On has been discussed on here a lot. I wanted to get some thoughts on using Ride-On in a tire that has an existing leak. Is it worth doing? Would it work? Is it safe?

Of course - I know (or think) Ride-On only helps with holes in the center area of the tread.

I just don't want to replace the tire unless that's my only choice - I just bought it earlier this year. Probably has less than 500 miles on it.

Thanks

Old Bike: 2006 VN750 - Sold

Current Bike: 2007 Yamaha V-Star 1300 Tourer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

This is only my opinion, nothing more or less. I have not used this this product, I know nothing about it. But when it comes to patches I am a firm believer a patch should be a temperary fix. I understand your tires are fairly new, but I mean a new tire isn't really that much ,and not worth flying down the road at a given rate of speed and have it fail on you.

Just sayin

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:04 PM

Garage
I am willing to bet your leak is more likely to be coming from the filler valve than the tire.

Have you tried to tighten the valve core into the valve stem?

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

That's a good suggestion. Does that happen - that the stem works loose? I will check.

It's strange - I went for some good riding in late April. Since then it has been sitting in a garage (except for a couple very short rides) It somehow seemed to have developed this leak while sitting

Last edited by eusjma; 06-14-2013 at 03:49 PM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

ok - have an update. I inflated the tire to about 45 psi and using the soapy water method I found 4 or 5 places on the bead line (if that's what you call it) on the right side of the while/tire where I can see air bubbling out. I don't see it bubbling anywhere else on the tire.

Would this indicate something is wrong/damaged with the tire or wheel? Or just that the bead was broken or became 'unsealed'?

What's the best way to fix it? I thought about overinflating it further but didn't know if that would work nor how far I could/should inflate it safely.

Any other ideas?

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:33 PM

You could always take it to a shop and have them take the rubber off, clean where the bead is on the rim, and then remount the tire. If you brought it to them off the bike, they probably wouldn't charge you more than they would for mounting one tire. This is all kind of obvious. I imagine you'd like to fix it yourself.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuvoc View Post
You could always take it to a shop and have them take the rubber off, clean where the bead is on the rim, and then remount the tire. If you brought it to them off the bike, they probably wouldn't charge you more than they would for mounting one tire. This is all kind of obvious. I imagine you'd like to fix it yourself.
I've never taken the wheel off myself. Seems pretty straight forward though.

I also read an old post that suggested simply breaking the bead and cleaning it up without removing the tire/wheel from the bike. That would be ideal if I can figure out the best way to break the bead

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...highlight=bead

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

If you have a couple c-clamps laying around those will break the bead.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

I was thinking maybe the same. I ended up taking it to a shop down the road - will let them look at it. I don't have the time to do it this weekend.

Thanks for the ideas and input

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 09:53 PM

I mounted my new front today. Aired it up to 50psi and bounced it on the floor while rotating to hit a new spot. That gets the bead seated good, having the rim clean is important to good seating, soapy water helps it slide better. I used a Scotchbrite pad on the rim before mounting, and let it back down around 30psi after checking it with soapy water.

It's not the recommended use of Ride-On, but I bet it's a lot better than Fix-a-Flat and the tire shop guys don't freak out when they see it in your tire. Wouldn't do much at all on the bead I don't think.

The balancing is what I wanted and it works perfect. 10% discount code for Ride-On, use VN750 in the promo code box at their website.

A "patch-plug" would be ideal if the shop could do it for you. Don't like patched tires either but ...

Duh! It's your bead not a hole... I'm tired.....

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement