Spline Lube scheduled maintenance? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

Spline Lube scheduled maintenance?

Having read many posts about the factory not lubing the splines properly raises a question in my mind. I just wonder how many owners of a new VN-750 actually had the splines lubed at the 6000 mile scheduled interval? And how many actually lubed them every 12,000 miles after that? My 2002 VN-750had close to 10,000 miles on it when I got it, and the previous owner stated that he had never had the splines lubed. Dummy me, a few months back I thought that the shaft drive would be relatively maintenance free like shaft drive on a car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:33 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Drive lines even on some trucks (18 wheelers) have sealed u-joints. however, this joints also wear out and need replacing. They do last for many miles. The drive line on this bike will last for a lot of miles with just one lubing. IMO many riders on this forum do the lube on the drive line too often. Those that do that is. It is best to do it than not to lube it at all as others do. Again this is MO. So it is relatively maintenance free.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:43 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezyrider View Post
Having read many posts about the factory not lubing the splines properly raises a question in my mind. I just wonder how many owners of a new VN-750 actually had the splines lubed at the 6000 mile scheduled interval? And how many actually lubed them every 12,000 miles after that? My 2002 VN-750had close to 10,000 miles on it when I got it, and the previous owner stated that he had never had the splines lubed. Dummy me, a few months back I thought that the shaft drive would be relatively maintenance free like shaft drive on a car?
That 6,000 mile scheduled maintenance is only for the u-joint. Nothing else on the drive-shaft. The next scheduled interval is 36,000 miles. Nothing in my bike manual or the downloaded manual even suggests lubing the splines. Even the local mechanics in my area have never heard of a VN750 drive shaft fail. That's why I was so reluctant in doing mine because I had the warranty which would cover the failed part. Fortunately, when mine did fail, M_Angell had a spare used one I traded for. Splines are lubed now!

Also keep in mind, a driveshaft on a bike will outlast a chain or belt resulting in less maintenance and money. The VN900C I had for a short time was belt driven. I considered buying a new belt for it until I found out it was gonna cost me upwards of $500+ for a new one! I thought the drive belts were much like serpentine belts. I guess not, LOL.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 06-11-2013 at 01:49 PM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 01:56 PM Thread Starter

Silly me, I thought that the female splines were part of the drive shaft?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:03 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
OH! What a stupid way to word things! When the book talks about the propeller shaft joint, I assumed the u-joint. I never would have imagined the coupler being called a "sliding joint". *facepalm*

Even then, if the joint was lubricated @ 6,000 miles, the lube should last until 36,000 miles before needing maintenance. That's a long time since most of these smaller bikes get passed around so often with high years and low miles.

I only understand what I don't understand.

Last edited by blazblu82; 06-11-2013 at 02:07 PM.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 02:16 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The u-joint has no grease fitting. It is a sealed unit. And it last many miles with the original lube. And the slip joint is part of the drive line.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
They are, female splines on both ends of the driveshaft.

Mine looked like they'd never been greased, but clean and dry with no rust. I can tell this bike was not left outside overnight or in the rain much. When moisture is allowed to permeate every crack and crevice, I think that's when the trouble begins in the splines with no grease. Rust takes hold and further riding does the damage.

People leave bikes and mowers out in the weather and it rusts everything down to it's core. Cables, wiring, contacts, machined surfaces, all go to hell in no time with repeated moisture cycles. Rain and dew are the two worst culprits.

I would also bet that a hot driveshaft can sweat, just like a hot tailpipe.

2003-21k mi
Shaved w/UniPK92+Stock Jets-TPE/MOSFET-Shinko Tires-AGM batt-bags-chrome-LEDs...more
__________________________________________________ ____________
Repair Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/mj7z81..._Catalogue.pdf

Owner's Manual: http://www.mediafire.com/file/nscb5f...ers+Manual.pdf

Last edited by Spockster; 06-11-2013 at 03:31 PM.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 03:47 PM
Old Truck Junkie

The splines at the front end of the drive shaft have minimal movement and a coat of oil will keep rust from building up. I don't mess with those.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 04:07 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazblu82 View Post
OH! What a stupid way to word things! When the book talks about the propeller shaft joint, I assumed the u-joint. I never would have imagined the coupler being called a "sliding joint". *facepalm*

Even then, if the joint was lubricated @ 6,000 miles, the lube should last until 36,000 miles before needing maintenance. That's a long time since most of these smaller bikes get passed around so often with high years and low miles.
Probably some of the same thoughts or miss-interpretations the shop guys have!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2013, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

Schedule maintenance, splines!

Talked to a dude at the Factory customer service. And he said the first one at 4000 miles and the next one at 24,000 miles, and every 20,000 miles there after. Claims he got it from the factory service manual. But I personally think the guy was screwing goobers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement