Bleed the Brakes... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Bleed the Brakes...

I changed the nasty brake fluid today. During the procedure, I let the fluid get too low in rez and introduced air into system. I have worked on restoring proper pressure; however, the lever still feels too squishy even though the brake operation is much smoother than before. The lever gets within a 1/4 inch of grip before brake kicks in. The pressure is great enough to where I cannot touch the lever to grip.

So question, is their an easier alt. to restoring pressure other than the normal bleed procedure?

Thanks!

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:24 PM

Garage
Reverse bleeding is best on bikes.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 04:42 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

but most of us don't have a pump for reverse bleeding. You can try using a turkey baster with a long airtight tube to help suck fluid and air from the bleed fitting. I've done it on hard to bleed cars and it actually worked. Have one person gently squeeze the brake while you slowly let the baster suck on the bleeder fitting as you open and close the valve. For some reason the light vacuum seems to get the air bubbles to move better.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoolAmI View Post
but most of us don't have a pump for reverse bleeding. You can try using a turkey baster with a long airtight tube to help suck fluid and air from the bleed fitting. I've done it on hard to bleed cars and it actually worked. Have one person gently squeeze the brake while you slowly let the baster suck on the bleeder fitting as you open and close the valve. For some reason the light vacuum seems to get the air bubbles to move better.
I took the bike for a quick run and the brake operation seems to be much better than before. I could lock up the front if I wanted too. In comparison to my Dad's 1500, my brakes kick much later than his. His lever only moves slightly while mine stops at about 1/4 inch from the grips.

I thought I read on here that letting the bike sit over night with the brake lever tied down would force the air bubbles towards the bleeder valve. IS this true?

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:08 PM
Banned

Yes blaz, gravity bleeding should work. Do not seal the reservoir, and do not let it low enough to uncover the port.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

My brakes where much like yours blaz after a fluid change (and cleaning out crap from master cylinder).

I tied brake handle back over night a couple times, helped some. but I think the biggest improvement just came over time.. as the air bubble worked its way out of the system (back to the master cylinder I can only assume, as I did no further bleeding)
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganteddybear View Post
My brakes where much like yours blaz after a fluid change (and cleaning out crap from master cylinder).

I tied brake handle back over night a couple times, helped some. but I think the biggest improvement just came over time.. as the air bubble worked its way out of the system (back to the master cylinder I can only assume, as I did no further bleeding)
Ah, ok. Well, I'm not concerned at this point. The brakes work and that's all I care about.

post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-09-2013, 06:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Look up speed bleeders online, they are awesome. you can do the whole job alone and in minutes, including changing the fluid annually, which I do now because it's so easy. They are made in Illinois and replace your current bleeder fittings. There is a check valve inside so you don't have to open and close them manually while bleeding the system.
I like it so much I put them on all my vehicles.
Bronson

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Just a regular guy

Ok., so about 2 weeks ago I decided to change the fluid in my brake system... like an idiot I let the fluid get to low... now I have zero pressure at the lever. I have tried everything short of reverse flow bleeding. I have tied the lever, bought the one man bleeder from Advance Auto, everything... The weather is beautiful and I want to ride!!!

The brakes worked great before I messed with them, so I guess my question is... how come I have NO pressure? A little air shouldn't cause this much trouble...

"Pain is weakness leaving my mouth! *&%^$ that hurt!"

Promo code for 10% off at leatherup.com..... 55634

===2001 Vn750====
New Chrome agm battery
Ears shaved
Coastered
Sportster pipes
R/R relocated
12v adapter installed
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 01:20 PM
Dr. Vulcanstein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris32250 View Post
Ok., so about 2 weeks ago I decided to change the fluid in my brake system... like an idiot I let the fluid get to low... now I have zero pressure at the lever. I have tried everything short of reverse flow bleeding. I have tied the lever, bought the one man bleeder from Advance Auto, everything... The weather is beautiful and I want to ride!!!

The brakes worked great before I messed with them, so I guess my question is... how come I have NO pressure? A little air shouldn't cause this much trouble...
You didn't.strip the.bleeder valve did you? It doesn't take much to over torque them and the slightest air leak will cause problems.

.... - " " - .
..( ___/\ /))
.( l vv/ )(
.) \ O/ )((
..(( .)(. )\ \
.....) . ( / /
.....( )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement