putting new shoes in rear hub,1st time on this bike,suggestions? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
JES

putting new shoes in rear hub,1st time on this bike,suggestions?

i have done brake replacement on other bikes but not on one with a drive shaft,what should i be careful of?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:35 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
i have done brake replacement on other bikes but not on one with a drive shaft,what should i be careful of?
There is a spacer inside the final drive itself that can fall out and roll away and getting the rear wheel to mesh with the final drive gear can be a real PITA. I've never replaced shoes on my bike neither, but it looks fairly straight forward.

Just a tip, you only need to remove the left side rear shock. The right side can stay on and not interfere.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM
Chasin' the blacktop

Since the brake shoe springs are hooked pretty deeply into the shoes (lot of curve to the spring's hooked ends) I couldn't get the springs to unhook on mine so I just pulled them apart (screwdriver for leverage) and over the posts. I've found it easier to unbolt the final drive (4 nuts) from the driveshaft and hold the final drive in place on the wheel and roll the whole assembly out. This makes getting the final drive to wheel splines easier to align when reinstalling. When installing just line up the final drive to the drive shaft (don't forget the spring in the middle) and jiggle the tire around a little to make the final drive line up with the driveshaft. Good time to lube your driveshaft splines while you’re in there.

[/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] The mini-skirt is a very functional article of clothing. With it a woman can run much faster; and because of it she may have too.
North Georgia

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 01:26 AM
Ndr

for getting the shoes off, I've done about the same as FoolAmI. Spread the shoes apart and pull straight off with the springs attached. Attach the springs to the new shoes off the hub and then spread them apart with a screwdriver to put back onto the hub.

As far as putting the wheel back on and alighting the splines to the final drive, I've found it easiest to put the axle in backwards to center the wheel on the final drive (leave off the space that goes between the outside of the wheel and the right side of the swing arm). Raise the swing arm so the wheel is off of the ground (attach at least one shock back up?) and spin the wheel to align and push into place. once you do that, pull the axle back out and install properly.

As Blaz noted, don't loose the spacer that goes inside the final drive. If that's not installed, the wheel will seize up and not spin when you try to tighten up the axle bolt.

......I'd rather wake up in the middle of nowhere then in any city on earth.

*2014 VN900 Custom (16,200 miles and counting)
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
JES

doesn't sound too bad.......

thanks for all the advice,got the new shoes,will try to install them as soon as time permits,what kind of grease should i use on the splines?also,even with a floor jack for cycles,will i need help to take the tire on and off the bike,it looks heavy,any other tips appreciated!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 01:20 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Pull the shoes from the farthest point from center. The shoe will pivot right out, now remove the other shoe with it. Note that one end is flat. Remove the springs and install into new shoes. Put one shoe in place and pivot the other one into position. I hope this makes sense, it is very simple and easy.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 02:57 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES View Post
thanks for all the advice,got the new shoes,will try to install them as soon as time permits,what kind of grease should i use on the splines?also,even with a floor jack for cycles,will i need help to take the tire on and off the bike,it looks heavy,any other tips appreciated!
Read Fergy's spline lube procedure thread before starting.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17274

There are lots of pics regarding the lubing of the drive shaft to final drive splines, and wib714's later contribution of info on final drive to wheel hub splines check/clean/lube.

Most widely recommended lube for splines is Honda Moly60.
100 gram tube commonly found for anywhere between $10-25.

http://www.bernardiparts.com/Honda-M...8734-0001.aspx
At $8.10 this may be the best price I have ever seen for moly60, depending on what shipping charges are.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-16-2013, 09:49 PM
Bearcat

I took off and put my wheel back on by my self. I used a metal wheel chock to support the tire up while I lined everything up. The tire was cradled in the curve and the chock was on its pointed end. I usaly work alone and don't have a extra set of hands around

Keep her rubber side down.

Last edited by Jamesoct1990; 06-16-2013 at 09:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement