Progressive fork springs - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Progressive fork springs

I'm going to put Progressive fork springs on my Vulcan but not sure if I want to use the lowering springs or the other springs I'm kinda stuck between the two and hoping others will chime in on what they've liked and yes I know it's all what I'll like but not sure which one handles better. I've got her tore down at the moment doing lots of work it her and won't be done until early next year and want the best handling Vulcan I can have. I'm putting 412 12" rear shocks on to lower the back some but not to much and not sure if I want to lower the front any just want her to handle better and to handle bumps better. I'll be riding country roads that aren't the best and my wife and I both have screwed up backs so I'm looking more for a comfy ride. I'm only lowering the back slightly since both my knees have had surgeries on them and it's a little to high for me right now so that's why I'm looking at 12" rear 412's and not 12.5" 412's. this forums is the best Ive seen for our bikes it's helped me out greatly already and can't wait to get my bike done. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 05:54 PM
Prowling Tiger

I put Progressive 412's on mine which dropped the bike 2.25 inches. DO NOT PUT THE SPRING PRELOAD ON HIGHEST SETTING! Holy cow I felt like a milk shake, LOL! I've got it on 2nd lowest setting and it's better, but still rather bumpy with only me on it. Hadn't tried with a passenger yet.

As for handling, you'll want to drop the front as much as the rear. If you drop 1/2 inch rear then drop 1/2 inch front. If the rear sits too low compared to the front, the bike will turn like a dog during slow maneuvers. My bike suffers from this a bit, but I like the slanted stance it has so it doesn't both me any.

I only understand what I don't understand.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 06:55 PM
Old Fart

Garage
If you only lowered the rear a 1/2 inch, use the regular springs in front and just move the fork tubes up 1/2 inch in the clamps.....if you want.

I'd likely just leave them alone really...why lose more cornering clearance? A half inch lower in the back ain't nutt'n. I do suggest using the Progressive springs and cutting the spacers to 7-1/4"....and 10 or 15w fork oil.

You didn't say what you weighed of if your wife rides as a passenger...

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:02 PM Thread Starter

Our total weight is about 400 right now but we've been losing weight pretty steady. I'm not sure how much the 12" progressive shocks will actually drop the rear end I figured not to much but I'm not to sure since I haven't seen a VN750 in person with dropped shocks on it yet so it's hard for me to tell. I'm not gonna go with any shorter shocks since I weigh over 250 pounds by myself. We do a lot of 2 up riding otherwise I'd go with 11" shocks lol.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Now since the stock shocks are 12.5" how much would 12" progressive 412's drop the rear just 1/2" or more? I'm trying to get as much info as I can and searching the web hasn't answered all my questions yet so that's why I'm turning to the guru's on here.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsoldier35 View Post
Now since the stock shocks are 12.5" how much would 12" progressive 412's drop the rear just 1/2" or more? I'm trying to get as much info as I can and searching the web hasn't answered all my questions yet so that's why I'm turning to the guru's on here.
If they are 1/2" shorter then the rear would be 1/2 inch lower....given the spring rates are the same. Keep in mind you should set the preload on the shock so the rear of the bike goes down 1/2 inch when you sit on it. You should add more preload so that figure is the same when your wife gets on....

This in mind...if you only want the bike to be 1/2 lower than stock, you should first measure how much the stock shock is compressing when you sit on the bike now. If its more than a half inch you might just need to alter your shopping list.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

I'd really like to drop it more but not sure how much just yet I'm going to have to get my helper over to determine how much it drops with me on it and then with my wife on it then I'll be able to figure out how much I can really drop it then. I'd like to go with 11" rear shocks and front lowering springs but don't want to bottom out that's what I'm trying to avoid. I didn't know the stock shocks and the progressive shocks have the same spring rate.

Last edited by hellsoldier35; 06-05-2013 at 07:46 PM.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:07 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsoldier35 View Post
..... I didn't know the stock shocks and the progressive shocks have the same spring rate.
I didn't say that they are....I meant a 1 /2" shorter shock lowers the rear about 1/2" IF the spring rates are the same.

Stock springs can sag a bit after time, and they have no preload adjustment.

Progressive 412 shocks do have a preload adjustment, so how much they compress is changeable.

As I said, ideally the rear should sink about a half inch when you sit on the bike. As the 412's allow you to adjust this, and the stock units don't, this is why you need to do a bit if measuring to make sure what you're buying will give you what you want.

Generally, lowering the bike any amount reduces ground clearance in turns. Shorter shocks usually have less travel, so comfort may not be as good.

I always suggest lowering the seat before lowering the bike. If all you're after is getting your feet on the ground this much better than changing the height of the bike itself....

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Well I'm 5'8 and I touch the ground just fine my biggest issue is my back and my knees Ive had 2 left knee surgeries and getting ready for a right knee surgery and my back is all screwed up that's why I'm not going to get my bike ready to ride this year I'm waiting for surgery which sucks but it needs to be done. Swinging my leg over the bike is getting harder that's the biggest reason why I want to lower it but I also like the way this Vulcans look so I'd hate to sell it these are great bikes. I'll be doing the measurements here in the next few days so then I'll know which way to go. Thanks for the help Knifemaker it helped greatly.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-05-2013, 10:02 PM
Prowling Tiger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
I didn't say that they are....I meant a 1 /2" shorter shock lowers the rear about 1/2" IF the spring rates are the same.

Stock springs can sag a bit after time, and they have no preload adjustment.

Progressive 412 shocks do have a preload adjustment, so how much they compress is changeable.

As I said, ideally the rear should sink about a half inch when you sit on the bike. As the 412's allow you to adjust this, and the stock units don't, this is why you need to do a bit if measuring to make sure what you're buying will give you what you want.

Generally, lowering the bike any amount reduces ground clearance in turns. Shorter shocks usually have less travel, so comfort may not be as good.

I always suggest lowering the seat before lowering the bike. If all you're after is getting your feet on the ground this much better than changing the height of the bike itself....
Doesn't the damper adjuster do the same thing as a pre-load adjuster?

I only understand what I don't understand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement