Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1500 rear tire on 750?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  vnnikolouzo 
#1 ·
So today, I was helping my Dad tear down his rear-end to check his splines. All good. This got me thinking, what if the rear tire fit on my 750? I think the final drive would mount right on and it would also replace brake drum with a disc brake. Only thing I am uncertain about is the width of the 750's swing arm versus the 1500's. Anyone here attempted this conversion? I think it would really update the rear end by having a disc brake versus the current drum.

#2 ·
It had been done in mock up... I am not sure of how far the mock up went... Ron Mullix aka Lance368 was doing the mod when he passed on. All i know about the deal is what he told me on the phone late one night as he was picking my brain. he was having problems mounting the master cylinder. in the correct spot. the best bet is snag your dads tire and wheel combo and try to put it on your VN750, and then report back to us... btw... the gear ration is taller in the 1500, so it might not be a good choice.

#3 ·
you will run into drive shaft problems.The 1500 drive shaft is completely different.Te front end of the 1500 has a much larger diameter splined outpute shaft and it also has a provision for a lock ring with a pin that snaps in internally

#4 ·
If I had a 1500 wheel to try, I would first determine whether the 750's final drive would mate up to the 1500's wheel hub. If so, then that solves the drive-shaft issue and I could proceed to getting the rear disc brake adapted. The wheel hub internals look identical to the 750's; unless, the internal splines are different (different # of splines).

I feel the only difficulty would be spacing. I am uncertain if the 750's swing-arm is wide enough to handle the 1500's wheel and brake caliper bracket and spacer. If there is room, then the very least I would need is a new spacer made. Then I would need to fabricate a way for the bracket to remain in place (like our drum brake uses a bracer bar) by using the existing mounting bolt from the 1500. Once that is accomplished then figuring out how to adapt the rear brake rez and pedal to the 750 would be the final challenge.

I know this looks good in writing; however, I imagine it won't go as smooth in reality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.