Rear brakes - interesting colors? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Rear brakes - interesting colors?

Broke into the rear brake assembly yesterday, and posted pics (Gallery under my name) of what I found. LOTS of earth tones - cleaned up with CRC cleaner (yikes that stuff's toxic!), but can anyone tell me what's breaking down to create that color? The pads have a little life left in them, but I'm pretty sure the drum is shot. Do I have to replace the entire rear wheel? <sigh>

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 06:52 PM
and the Adventure Cycle

The color you see is most likely just brake dust. I wouldn't worry too much about that.
As far as the drum, what size did you get when you measured it ?
7.086" - 7.093" is standard size. 7.116" is the recommended service limit, but you could go a little beyond that (with fresh pads)

AKA: Tim & 'The Adventure Cycle' VROC #24567, NEVROC, SteelCity VROC

"When life throws you curves,
Aim for the apex."

Author Unknown
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Ummmm...I didn't measure the drum itself. Somehow that didn't dawn on me. But the rear of the bike is still totally disassembled ('cept I put the wheel back on after I lubed the splines), so I can check it in the a.m. Is it possible for the drum to just warp, though?

C

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2006, 09:42 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365
Ummmm...I didn't measure the drum itself. Somehow that didn't dawn on me. But the rear of the bike is still totally disassembled ('cept I put the wheel back on after I lubed the splines), so I can check it in the a.m. Is it possible for the drum to just warp, though?
Cindy -

I doubt that the drum can warp as it is part of the wheel center and lots stronger than a regular drum brake.

From the pictures, looks like brake dust residue.

Clean it good with brake cleen and check as Hyper said above, if within spec, throw in some new shoes and adjust the linkage.

Should be good to go.

I honestly use my rear brake very little as the front is pretty stout, especially after the stainless lines went on. Mostly just use the rear to hold on a hill when stopped.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)

Last edited by 93VN750; 11-23-2006 at 09:46 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2006, 03:11 PM
Geek

Took a look at the shoes. From what I can tell they look like they have plenty of meat left. I think if you just clean everything up they would be good.

Ron from Jersey
2005 VN750
HellFire windshield
Kaw extended backrest
Cobra exhaust
Re-located stator wires
Side bags
15,000 Miles July/2012
It's PAID OFF ! May 2009
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

I thought they looked okay, too, but what concerned me was the gap between the drum and the final drive and the brake side. I added a pic to my "rear brake" album (https://www.vn750.com/photopost/useralbums.php)
...hmmm. That link may not work. Okay, now i think I attached a pic to this message, but that may not have happened, either. Anyway, there's a small gap (2 mm) between the drum and the final drive, and a 1mm gap between the drum and the brake cover. That's what's making me think that there's a problem with the wheel overall - it's just not a very snug fit. So it may actually not be a problem with the brakes or the drum, but something else? Or maybe a gap like that isn't to be fretted about? I dunno - maybe my tolerances are lower than Kaw's.

C

Last edited by Crobins365; 08-29-2007 at 09:31 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2006, 10:46 AM
Search Goddess

Yes there is a small gap on both sides of the wheel, the final drive side a little more than the brake side. You have a real good example of this on your running bike. I think if you compare the two assembled you will see that they are about the same.
One note, if you by chance left one of the collars out or the large o-ring and tightened the wheel down, chances are it would lock up on you and not spin freely

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 09:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna
Yes there is a small gap on both sides of the wheel, the final drive side a little more than the brake side. You have a real good example of this on your running bike. I think if you compare the two assembled you will see that they are about the same.
One note, if you by chance left one of the collars out or the large o-ring and tightened the wheel down, chances are it would lock up on you and not spin freely
You're right...although for some reason it looks like less of a gap on the drive side of my running bike. Hmmm. As for a missing collar, I checked the shaft before I put the wheel on (it spun) and checked it again after I put the wheel on (it spun, too). I'll keep mucking around with it - I still don't like the way the drum cover sits on the wheel (maybe that's warped??), but I could be looking for a problem where there's not one. It's just, ya know, the brakes...!

C
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 10:50 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to 93VN750
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crobins365
You're right...although for some reason it looks like less of a gap on the drive side of my running bike. Hmmm. As for a missing collar, I checked the shaft before I put the wheel on (it spun) and checked it again after I put the wheel on (it spun, too). I'll keep mucking around with it - I still don't like the way the drum cover sits on the wheel (maybe that's warped??), but I could be looking for a problem where there's not one. It's just, ya know, the brakes...!
But it is only your rear brake, which like I said, I rarely use. The fronts provide probably 90% of the stopping power on these bikes used correctly.

Just make sure that mechanically all else is right.

Jon

93VN750, under re-construction
vn750.com Member # 828

Rick's Stator and R/R
MF AGM Battery
Coastered
Degoated
Shaved & Jetted
Iridium's
MAC Tapered Staggered Pipes
Battery/Temp/Clock Gauge
Stainless Steel Brake Lines
Dunlop D-404's
23,XXX miles and holding pending gasket change (underway!!!)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-26-2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

I actually use my rear brake consistently, tho' I know that 3/4 of the stopping power comes from the front. But given the bike's weight, if I only use the front brake, I end up getting tossed forward a bit too much from momentum. I find I come to a more balanced halt with a steady rear brake application... and lord knows that some percentage of riding is looking good doin' it!

C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement