Splines no good - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Splines no good

Well folks, this is my first major operation as well as my first cycle. I have an '03 with 16,000 miles on it. Just got it last August. Unfortunately, I only found this site recently and so needless to say knew nothing about checking the splines.

I did and they are shot. Lots of red powder in there and the teeth are ground down pretty good. Anyone have a replacement lying around? I'll check Ebay too but there wasn't anything yesterday.

I am very frustrated. I put new tires on it last month and the dealer claims upon a follow-up phone call that he's sure they were looked at and if they needed any grease some was added. Nothing on the bill and certainly no sign of any grease for a very long time. I had asked another dealer since than to inspect them and he replied "nah, they should be good for a while yet". Last night I spoke with a serviceman and he told me that they recently received a service directive from Kawasaki regarding the "importance of this service". He wished me luck. Needless to say this sickens me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Buddy, I feel your pain! Sorry to hear about that. Best you can do is keep an eye on ebay. You'll generally have to ask about the drive shaft splines though as the sellers usually don't know to show the shape of the splines in question.

Check with eriefisherman. I recall he had a final drive at one time.

I also read a post on here today somewhere where a newbie was talking about a friend's 750 that he wrecked and had salvaged. You might see if they can get the final drive and drive shaft for ya. Best of luck to you!

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

Last edited by fergy; 10-27-2006 at 05:31 PM.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fergy, sent him a PM.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:53 PM

Joe, that sux sorry to hear that, I posted a thread in the parts section about a week ago on a salvage yard in Texas, while BSing with the man for a while he told me that when he has final drives he sells them for around 300-350. gonna edit this post with the info once I find it

from my other thread
parts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey all I was talking to a guy down in Texas yesterday that has a salvage yard . southparkcycle.com I believe it was 888-952-9253 his name is Rick Ledet..he was telling me that when he gets in final drives he sells them for $350, maybe some of you from Texas know of this place and could add a comment here. Just thought it would be good to know and keep in mind, ya can't always find them for $100 on EBAY lol and still beats that $1000 at the stealership. I do not know what else he has for our bikes I was mostly interested in weighing my options for my problems.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:55 PM

Sorry to hear about your splines. EasyRector - you reading this??? Only 16,000 miles - shot!

Joepa, we'll keep our eyes and ears out for parts for you. This is definitely the place to post your need!

C
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:56 PM

I've been looking on here and I posted a couple of questions asking folks to look you up if they had the parts. I hope someone comes through for you.

I was lucky to get mine from an 86 on ebay for just over $100 with the drive shaft. You'll only need the coupling but most don't take the time to pull the coupling off the shaft and sell it as one piece. I guess they don't have ring clip pliers laying around. Anyhow, I'll keep helping you look. I have some saved searches that alert me when anything comes available on ebay. We'll find you one!

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy
Anyhow, I'll keep helping you look. I have some saved searches that alert me when anything comes available on ebay. We'll find you one!
That's it, Fergy! THere is no "i" in "team" - or "Vulcan"!

C
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 PM

Man! I just get my backside all burned when I hear about this! I'm a little incouraged that your Kaw tech said Kaw sent a directive about the importance of doing the lube on the 750. Maybe someone somewhere is listening??

Just posted a thread on the yahoo group asking for help too!

No I in team is right! God only knows what I would have done by now without this forum.

Fergy
2002 VN1500 Classic
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 06:13 PM

Well that sucks. Maybe you will get lucky with Ebay. or you might even try Craigslist.com. I had 400 miles on my 06 and I checked the splines, good thing i did, very little grease. So I greased them up with Moly 60. Now they are good to go.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 10-27-2006, 07:01 PM

please let this be a warning to all....check those splines ASAP
I really believe now that the last half of the 750 run the grease guy was sleeping....I was amazed when I looked at mine the other day and saw they looked brand new, still has some grease on them...I bought fresh moly 60 today for when I reinstall.
Joe I will keep my eyes open for you, I will call a bone yard in Ma tomorrow and see if I can find 1 for a good price (or any price) there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement