How do you know if they greased the rear spline?? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Red face How do you know if they greased the rear spline??

Hey everyone hopefully I'm not beating a dead horse here but bear with me.

I am taking my bike FINALLY to the KAW dealer next week, the tires finally came in, to get them put on by them. I am getting new valve stems and I am going to ask/tell them to grease the rear spline. Simple enough right??

(Insert paranoid "Anyone who works on any of my vehicles I don't trust mindset" here)

My question is how the hell do I know if in fact they did grease it, especially if I had to pay a little extra to get it done??? What if they say, "Nah it's not listed on the shop invoice because we always do it when we change the tires, it's included in the price"? Without taking the wheel off myself how do I know?? And if something happens and it is determined to be that the bike broke due to insufficient spline lubrication then what??
The KAW does have a decent reputation in town, not stellar but okay, for repair work but I still can't help but feel a little uneasy.

Am I being overly paranoid or am I on the right track?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:49 PM

The only way to tell is to take off the tire and check the splines yourself. If you are going to do that, you may as well grease them yourself. Grease not only the rear splines, but the slip coupling on the rear of the drive shaft. and also, give a light coat of moly on the grears of the ring and pinion gears. Dont forget the front splines, you can spray them with white grease. just pull the rubber boot and spray the front drive shaft splines.

The dealer would have to charge you at least an extra hour labor to grease the splines. They have to remove the lower shock bolts and pull the rear drive unit off of the drive shaft. The dealer isnt going to give you anything extra for free.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:29 PM

Don't forget the old trick that I used to get free oil changes for the rest of my life from a Jeep dealer in Westchester. I was having carb troubles in my YJ and they were going to put on the 3rd new carb to solve the problem...well i was a bit sceptical so i took out the center punch and marked the parts.

That evening when i picked up the Jeep, in fact it was still in the bay, i paid the hefty dealer charge and went with the manager to the jeep. He said yup look at the shiny new carb, it runs great now...then i asked why is my mark still on the carb body...did you mechanic know my initials? Well after a few law suit threats, a new carb was in place and the owner calmed me by giving me a card with free oil changes for life on the back. Of course i would never go back to him again....

To this day I always mark the parts I think may need to get changed or removed. A few minutes of poking around is worth it, just don't leave the dealer until you check for your marks.

PS: I jumped into this thread cause I figured it would go off topic quick with a subject of " How do you know if they greased the rear spline??"...Congressman Foley??

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 11:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Off topic..... off topic.... we'd never do that!!! how did you like that meatloaf???

Try marking the end of the exposed threads with red paint or white out and then see if it is still there before you leave. mark it from thread to case then you can tell if it has been removed.

PS.. mark more than one bolt.. and mark one on the bottom ( out of plain sight ) and take a mirror to see it.

how's that for an idea??

1980 440LTD
1976 KZ900
1995 VN750 19,500 miles ( start of '08 season ) All mine!
Can't have too many Kaws!
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 AM

95vn750 -> Exactly!!!

Excuse me while I go grease my spline...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Great tips guys.

I haven't looked in the Clymer manual but wouldn't it be really easy to grease the splines once the back wheel is off?

I like the paint marking idea.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 12:47 PM
Search Goddess

With the back wheel off you have to still disconnect the shock on the left and loosen the four bolts holding the final drive unit to the swingarm. Fairly simple once the wheel is off.
I don't know of ANY service department that would "automatically" do the splines with a tire change. If it is done, it should be noted on the invoice. If it is noted on the invoice then you have a document that says they did it.
If they said they did it on the invoice and they didn't, then you have a case against them.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-12-2006, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianna
With the back wheel off you have to still disconnect the shock on the left and loosen the four bolts holding the final drive unit to the swingarm. Fairly simple once the wheel is off.
I don't know of ANY service department that would "automatically" do the splines with a tire change. If it is done, it should be noted on the invoice. If it is noted on the invoice then you have a document that says they did it.
If they said they did it on the invoice and they didn't, then you have a case against them.
It's that "refrigerator light" problem, isn't it? I agree w/ Dianna on the invoice part, although I have to say that the reason I started doing my own work was because a dealer gave me a bill for $230 when I took my partner's bike in for its 800-mile check-up, and nothing was itemized. When I asked if the mechanic had taken care of two very distinct issues I'd asked to be addressed, the "children" at the shop said, "No, it's not on the invoice." Well, *nothing* was on the invoice, I pointed out, so how did they know if the bike had even been touched? At that point, they brought out the service manual for the bike, showing me what is recommended by the manufacturer at 800 miles. They lost themselves in the circularity of their own logic. Anyway, on our way home, one issue that I'd requested be addressed re-emerged, at which point I called and spoke to the service manager. Despite the fact that the issue had clearly not been addressed - or at least adequately taken care of - he defended his employees, saying, "If they said they did it, then they took care of it." (Would've been nice if he'd been an empiricist...).

Anyway, if you're feeling brave and you have faith in the Verses, my suggestion would be to take on the task yourself and then you can be absolutely certain the splines are lubed. Then you don't have to rely on someone else's word, you don't have to worry about "what ifs" in terms of lawsuits, etc., *and*, best of all, you'll have the satisfaction of knowing that you can take care of this aspect of your bike yourself. Fergy's weblink with pics is fantastic - you absolutely can't go wrong if follow his step-by-step instructions.

C
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Crobin, my mind has started to wander even more and I am real close to just rolling up my sleeves and greasing the splines myself. Plus I highly doubt I'm going to like the price the KAW dealer is going to charge.
Between the Clymer manual and the KAW service manual and the website recommnended it sounds dumb not to just do it myself. Plus I feel like from all the brains on this site I could get help with any little snags I might have.

Thanks everyone for your help!
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 PM

If you print up and follow the procedure Fergy put together, you will not go wrong. I used it and it all comes apart and goes together as advertised. It is really very easy and painless as far as maintenance goes.

Jim W
93 VN 750 "Ursula"
Moved R/R 08Sep06
R/R rewire 17Feb07
New R/R, Installed 14Jun08
New Stator installed 10 Jun08
Maintenance Free Battery 12Jan08
21480 Miles
VROC #8542
Sponsored Links
Advertisement