Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Tires...???

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  shark88 
#1 ·
Anyone runnin the new Metzler ME 888s, lookin to maby put one on the rear and an ME 880 110/90-19 on the front, since they only have a 100/90-19 in the ME 888...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

#2 ·
I have heard several warning against using the Metzeler 880 over on the VROC board.Since their production has moved to South America,tread separation issues are fairly common,I had real good service out of the Dunlop E3 Bias Ply on my bike. I got 10K out of a set .This might not sound like a lot to most riders but I am riding an 800 lb bike.The best I had been getting was 6 to 7 K on other brands.

The only thing I didn't like is that they were still really close on the tread depth as far as wear limits go but had the same problem you had,they had started cupping.Granted I push it fairly hard in the crooked stuff and that may have been a contributing factor.

I just bought a set of Michelin Commander II's front and rear,and the reason I did was others have reported 15k out of them and the fact that I got to see CW-4's rear tire and I liked the amount of tread they had on them.I only have around 400 miles on them now and to be honest I haven't made up my mind about them yet.I have them aired up to 40 psi and need to monkey with the pressure a little to give them a fair shot.They seem to handle well enough but the steering seems almost too light with them .I think I may be running too much air in them.The Dunlops ran at 40 psi and handled very well.I did notice when changing them ,the Michelin has a much stiffer sidewall than the Dunlop. Less pressure may be required to get the ride and handling the way I want.

If you are getting ready to buy, I recommend Jake Wilson,the Michelin's were a few bucks cheaper than the Dunlop as well and free shipping and pretty quick delivery as well.

Any way back to the ME 880 I ran them on my 750 a few years back and they were much better than the Dunlop 404.I know you are out in the sticks a lot so I thought you might want to consider the issues others have been reporting.It wouldn't be fun to be miles from home and have the tread decide to leave your tire.

Again, this is what I have been hearing and it caused me to shy away from them,even after owning them in the past.I haven't bought any in a few years so I cant say from personal experience.The Sportster may be light enough to not cause this problem,Just letting you know.

#4 ·
it is too bad the 750 tire size does not work for any of the dunlop elite 3 tires, those tires are AWESOME.

kenny

#5 ·
s Denny said.... Michelin Commander II's. Got about 11k on my rear and it should go another 15k I would think. Ride and handling are good, but I can't say for the front as I have another brand on it. Denny is right , you got to find the right pressure for any tire that you use. I know that 30 in the front works for me and 32 in the rear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.