Whitewall paint - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

Whitewall paint

I been wanting to put whitewalls on my bike since I got it, but tires are still near new, and the cost of new whitewalls aint cuttin it...
So....did a lil research, and fount that many vintage bike and auto freaks use a special paint to make blackwalls white.
I found a 2 part kit for $24...will easily do my front and rear...anyone have any experience with it ? The reviews Ive read were good. Lasts about 2 yrs. But I dont believe half of what I read on the net.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=301920

I also found an English (Brit) site that sells the stick ons (very pricey !), and Ive heard bad reviews about peeling due to centrifugal force.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 04:03 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks brother (saved the link)...and thatd be less than $100 fer 4 sides....not bad...but I heard these stick ons peel closest to the tread....will look into em more though...I might have a slightly used rear WW at my buddy's shop too. But I got too much goin into my FWD controls now....paint would be Sooooo frickin easy !...lookin into that Krylon vinyl paint...mebbe.....

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 06:49 PM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

I remember seeing the "add on" style used years ago but I do not remember any real problems back then. No matter what kind of paint you use I would be concerned about cracking and peeling. Our tires take a lot of flexing in my opinion. Good luck in your choice and I am still interested in the forward control project you are working on. I hope to see some pictures soon on the progress.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles

Last edited by Vulcan2000; 09-13-2012 at 11:05 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 07:40 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I wouldn't paint.. paint induces dry-rot a lot quicker.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-26-2012, 10:44 PM Thread Starter

Brother...for dry rot to occur, a vehicle needs to stand still (kinda like a rolling stone gathers no moss thing)...Im a daily rider...its all I got....whats the worst that can happen ?...tires get buttugly and I end up cleanin em with laquer thinner, right ?...lol....

And my Brother, Tom...you are the least of whom Ive forgotten !...worked on them more today...design/templates, etc (Im a perfectionist, and went thru 12 sheets of stiff carboard)....I may even have someone in S Jersey that could help me with materials (mostly the bolts/nuts/washers/spacers)....I can see em under yer Yule tree Brother....have faith, my friend.....
And ya missed my "Wolfie Burgers" when we had the last ride...ya gonna need to make up fer that.....
ANYTIME ya wanna go to OCC, lemme know...you can even spend the night if ya want, I gotta spare room....best bet is on a weekday...I mentioned that to Ant too....OCC is a morgue on weekends besides tourists.
BTW, KC2, thats yer new nick..."Ant"....lol....think ya know why...nuthin personal, brother !...like my pickles ???
Oh yeah, Ant....I may have a free heatshield for ya...found a chrome cutoff in my basement shop....will take a pic and mail ya....has a mounting bracket attached....gotta mod it just a lil though, but its free...

Last edited by Wolfie; 08-26-2012 at 10:49 PM.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-12-2012, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

My 89 yr old Mom bought me a rattlecan of that Krylon plastic/vinyl paint...her car is white...she wanted her front (Camry)skirt touched up (plastic)....mwaa haa haaa....I tried it on an old truck tire I had laying around...one coat, and after 7 days, fine....soon as I get help getting mine on the centerstand, doing front and rear whitewalls....I got posterboard to use fer templates....this is gonna be cool !
Hint too...paint when deflated, then reinflate and do a second coat. It works !...so far anyway...

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-13-2012, 11:04 AM
2000 VN 750 Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
..........And my Brother, Tom...you are the least of whom Ive forgotten !...worked on them more today...design/templates, etc (Im a perfectionist, and went thru 12 sheets of stiff carboard)....I may even have someone in S Jersey that could help me with materials (mostly the bolts/nuts/washers/spacers)....I can see em under yer Yule tree Brother....have faith, my friend.....
And ya missed my "Wolfie Burgers" when we had the last ride...ya gonna need to make up fer that.....
ANYTIME ya wanna go to OCC, lemme know...you can even spend the night if ya want, I gotta spare room....best bet is on a weekday...I mentioned that to Ant too....OCC is a morgue on weekends besides tourists.
I am really looking forward to that ride and I understand about it needing to be a weekday to be able to see some activity. I am going to talk with Anthony to see if we can match up one of his weekday offs with mine as I am off Thursdays and Fridays every other week. I hope we can work that out soon before we get too much of a change in weather. Right now is the perfect time for riding at least in my opinion.

and always remember, "Ride until you rot!"
**Really not sure if the Big "C" is back right now
but having to face the fact that this is a lifetime routine
going forward. Five operations done and it still continues.

Tom
Vulcan 2000
New ride: 2009 Victory Vision Arlen Ness Signature Series
4507 miles
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2012, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Well, you know me....Im off 24/7 when it comes to rides with my brothers !...

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-27-2013, 04:17 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
you got me thinking about whitewalls on my 86.how'd that krylon hold up so far?i need tires anyway for "Faye" but am having a hard time finding a matched set in the sizes i want.they either have them in one or the other.gonna do 110/90/19fr and 170/80/15 rear.i like the shinko 230 tourmaster.havn't checked avon($$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$)yet.don't wanna pay too much and whitewalls would look sweet,especially if i can get that springer to work.have a front rim off a 440 ltd that has one roter,but is a litter thinner than a vulcan front.gotta see if the 110 is too wide or not

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
Sponsored Links