Rear Tire Wear Comparison--- - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Location: Country Created by Geniuses, But Run by Idiots...!!!

Rear Tire Wear Comparison---

I had posted about the bad tire wear I got from my Dunlop 404 rear tire, the one I had to replace at 2,402 mi. that was as slick as a new spanked babies hind end, and should have been replaced at 18-1900 mi. if replaced as recommended...
Well just to show that it was not me, or the bike, here is its replacement (Michelin) at 3,500 mi., and it looks like it will go for several thousand more to me...

Kinda assures me that the 404 I got was indeed a piece of crap as I thought...
Have a good one...Old Dog...

Southern Central Tennessee.......
Now on the Dark Side......
Girl's Bike 09 Sporty xl 1200 Custom...33k + & clickin......
Sportster Owner/Rider since age 72...lol... Rider since Simplex...???
09-xl1200 "C" Vivid Black, Cast wheels w/19" Frt., SE-Stage 1+, X14iEDs...
MicroTach +, Higher wider H-bars, GPS Mt., Mustach bar Hwy. pegs...
Viking Shock cutout Saddlebags, Rear Mt. Signal Lt. Kit, Fork Brace...
RoadKing Air Shocks, Mustang Seat, Progressive Fork Springs...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 06:37 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
I had posted about the bad tire wear I got from my Dunlop 404 rear tire, the one I had to replace at 2,402 mi. that was as slick as a new spanked babies hind end, and should have been replaced at 18-1900 mi. if replaced as recommended...
Well just to show that it was not me, or the bike, here is its replacement (Michelin) at 3,500 mi., and it looks like it will go for several thousand more to me...

Kinda assures me that the 404 I got was indeed a piece of crap as I thought...
I will back you up on that,I put 2 ,404 Dunlops on mine last spring and got about 2200 miles out of the set.

I out a set of Dunlop Elite 3 tires on it next and I am still running on both of them.The 404 is just too soft for any but the lightest of bikes and a rathewr conservative rider along with it.
The E3 Dunlops cost about the same as the HD Branded Dunlop which is also a much better wearing tire too.

When it comes to wear and tire life along with price considered,the 404 is just not a good buy.You will go through about 3 of them per each one of the higher end tires.Low price does not always equal value'The Michelen Cmmander, Avon Conti Tour and the Dunlop E3 all get good reviews on other web forums.

Also worthy of mention is that some of the Metzeler Me 880 tires of Brazillian manufacture,have been reported to have tread separation issues.I had a set on my 750 a few years back and experienced excellent wear and handling from them but I hear through the grapevine the Metzeler name is not as highly thought of now with several VROC members saying they would never trust them again after their experience with them lately.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
I will back you up on that,I put 2 ,404 Dunlops on mine last spring and got about 2200 miles out of the set.

I out a set of Dunlop Elite 3 tires on it next and I am still running on both of them.The 404 is just too soft for any but the lightest of bikes and a rathewr conservative rider along with it.
The E3 Dunlops cost about the same as the HD Branded Dunlop which is also a much better wearing tire too.

When it comes to wear and tire life along with price considered,the 404 is just not a good buy.You will go through about 3 of them per each one of the higher end tires.Low price does not always equal value'The Michelen Cmmander, Avon Conti Tour and the Dunlop E3 all get good reviews on other web forums.

Also worthy of mention is that some of the Metzeler Me 880 tires of Brazillian manufacture,have been reported to have tread separation issues.I had a set on my 750 a few years back and experienced excellent wear and handling from them but I hear through the grapevine the Metzeler name is not as highly thought of now with several VROC members saying they would never trust them again after their experience with them lately.
Denny, I can go along on those lines too, I replaced my rear OEM Dunlop 401 @ almost 9k mi. with an ME880 because I remembered good handling & milage with one on an earlier VN750, but I actually got less than 5k out of this ME880, that is why I went to the cheaper Dunlop 404...
I guess it all boils down to, sometimes you do get what you pay for...lol...
The above mentioned Michelin Commander II 150/80/16 was only $130 w/free shipping, I may stay with them and get the 100/90/19 front to match...
BTW-My front Dunlop 110/90/19 is doing pretty darn good...

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 10:14 PM

Garage
I put the HD branded Dunlop's on, Rear last spring and front this spring. The rear has over 6000 miles and still has 3/4 thread left. I put a shinko on the first year I had the bike and only got 2600 miles till it was balder than grandpaw. Had grip but no life.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 11:32 PM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

My shinko 230 rear has 7/64" left at 5000 miles. Looks like I'll get 9000-10000 miles out of it.

Tires will last longest if you run them at the max sidewall pressure. Hey Old Dog, have you thought about using a car tire?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 06:30 AM Thread Starter
Old Twistie Sticks Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck A. View Post
I put the HD branded Dunlop's on, Rear last spring and front this spring. The rear has over 6000 miles and still has 3/4 thread left. I put a shinko on the first year I had the bike and only got 2600 miles till it was balder than grandpaw. Had grip but no life.
Yes the HD branded 401 Dunlop is a different animal than the 404, and a bit higher, but much better tire than the 404...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001
Hey Old Dog, have you thought about using a car tire?
Ha, ha, no way, not me for sure...lol... I know, I know, they do it, but I just don't have the nerve to use one in these twisties that I love ridin...

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 06:56 AM

Garage
In the '70s, I was a teenager with a Kaw Mach 500, 3 cylinder 2 stoke with a hellashush power band at 6000 rpm. That was hell on wheels in those days as far as power goes. Had a factory tire that was 6 inches wide and flat thread patterned, just like a car tire. I can still remember on the tire sidewall a warning note about cornering speeds printed in the rubber. Great forward grip but would come out from under you in a corner on hot or wet pavement in a heart beat but wet grass,, don't even get me started. Car tires aren't made to lean in a corner and grip, made to stay vertical and sidewall flex while keeping the surf thread flat to the pavement. Heck of a highway tire but not for backroad twistes. Worked with a guy that put a car tire on a Ninja. Pulled out of the office and gassed on it will still leaning, just like he had done for a year. After several stitches and the cast came off his arm he put a bike tire back on.

Last edited by Chuck A.; 06-17-2012 at 07:16 AM.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:25 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly2001 View Post
My shinko 230 rear has 7/64" left at 5000 miles. Looks like I'll get 9000-10000 miles out of it.
I didn't know anything about the Shinko tires when I bought mine other than the dealer put it on a great price. When I was replacing it, I made comment to the guy about the low mileage and he said something to the effect that it was a racing compound rubber in that tire and wouldn't last on high mileage. Said the crouch rocket guys loved them. Don't remeber any numbers on that tire but as I said before, it had grip!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 11:12 AM
Crap, I WAS in 5th gear.

YMMV applies in this thread more than any other!
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM
gun slinger

Garage
i got one season out of my 404's i switched and haven't looked back

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement