Front Brakes Locked Up - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Front Brakes Locked Up

I bought my bike from my brother in law after he spilled it going about 40 MPH. He only had it 2 weeks. Damage to the bike was minimal, windshield broke, highway pegs snapped off clutch lever scraped up, right rear foot peg/muffler bracket broke.I have all of the above changed out and repaired. Tank didn't even get a scuff. My brother in law not so lucky. Major knee reconstruction. Healing. Now for the cause of the spill....First of all I am no authority on the repair subject. On the other hand I have never taken a vehicle to the garage to have it fixed. He told me the front brakes locked up on him. I got the bike home and opened the master cylinder, full of rusty sludge and the return port was crystalized and caked shut. I disassembled the master cylinder, cleaned it thoroughly removed all the lines, disassembled the calipers and cleaned them. I had to rod out the small opening in the master cylinder. I called my closest Kawasaki dealer and asked if I was on the right track. He graciously said yes. I fashoned me a vaccum catch jar with two fittings on top to attach to my vaccum pump and to the bleeder screw on the calipers. I vaccumed new fluid through the system and let it purge a little extra. I caught all the yuck in the jar. Works like a charm. Kawasaki told me it was a result of poor maintenance and moisture had built up in the system. They recommended changing out brake fluid every year or so...I hope this helps someone avoid an accident.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

I posted pics in maintenance photos
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2012, 08:46 PM

Ma Kaw says every 15,000 miles or two years, which ever comes first, change the fluid. I'm due on the mileage.

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:29 PM
CBH

My front brakes are seized, out of no where. Have had the bike for two years and had it in the shop recently. Today I went out on my lunch and the bike would not move, the forks would compress as I gave it gas, like it was trying to do a brake stand. Any one have any ideas for a quick fix so I can get home in and hour and a half from now... or do I need to call am tow truck? Currently 5:30 eastern. Help???

1985 750 Vulcan-Red
36,875 miles
New timing chain
New choke cable
Clean front rim
new throttle pull back cable
new spark plugs
New Bridgestone on the back
New Fluids all around
SeaFoam in the tank
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM
romeobravo172

Send a message via Skype™ to romeobravo172
Open up bleeder valve on each caliper, take a small screwdrive and gently push the pistons away from rotor. Keep in mind on your way home will only have rear brake!!

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM
romeobravo172

Sounds like poss a master cyl is not letting fluid back into resivor, if both calipers are stuck is prob master cyl, if only one side might just be the piston stuck.

04-3,200 miles bought July 2011 with 928 miles. Loaded with acessories to many to list here, see my albums for more details! I also make a custom tank bib specific for the 750 if anyone is interested, ck my albums for some pics.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:52 PM
..have a vulcan good day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeobravo172 View Post
Open up bleeder valve on each caliper, take a small screwdriver and gently push the pistons away from rotor. Keep in mind on your way home will only have rear brake!!
x2 I used a 1.5 " putty knife, you might get away with a butter knife.
I closed the bleeder valves after pushing pistons, just didn't use front brake until a complete fluid change.
hope this helps
WilliamTech

'86 VN750 13,700 mi -Stock
-Purchased 2008 w/8800mi
Replaced ALL Cables . Kuryakyn LED Voltmeter
SilverStar Ultra 9003/HB2 H4 Headlamp, Jardine Fwd Controls,
Iridiums DPR7EIX-9 & Wires, Tuxedo Mod, Coil Mod, P/U Sensor Mod, Fork Seals,
Splines Lubed - 11/4/2012 - MF AGM Battery
Additional Flashing LED Brake Light on Trunk
Dampers went out @ 13+K !
After TOC MCCT's..... so amazingly quiet I discovered a rattling heat shield on my stock exhaust !
...have a vulcan good day!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 05:58 PM
romeobravo172

Could be a collapsed brake line that only lets fluid go one way(to caliper, but not back to master), can't tell from outside, this happens on the inside of hose. If you get it unstuck, take your time getting it to wherever and then figure out what went wrong!!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:05 PM
CBH

Went out at 5:30 and it is freed up, was able to push the bike with my tip toes. So I'm lost...on my drive in today it was fine, sat for approx 4 hrs and it was unmoveable and then 2hrs later, free as a bird. Does this make sense to anyone? We'll see how it is when I go out at 7..

1985 750 Vulcan-Red
36,875 miles
New timing chain
New choke cable
Clean front rim
new throttle pull back cable
new spark plugs
New Bridgestone on the back
New Fluids all around
SeaFoam in the tank
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-12-2012, 06:11 PM
romeobravo172

I would not use my front brakes until I got it home or somewhere I could do a good diagnostics on it. Would not want to be sitting at a red light with my front (or rear) brake locked up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement