Air Gauges - Tires and Shocks - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Air Gauges - Tires and Shocks

Does anyone have a preference in their tire air gauge and their shock air gauge? I've gotta get something better than the ones I've been using for my cars. And they don't have to be the same tool. In fact, I'm assuming they won't be the same tool - different needs usually require different tools.

Also, does anyone have a preferred method of filling their shocks - hand pump, foot pump, electrical compressor pump, etc?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:06 PM
Old Fart

Garage
For tires I use the Roadgear digital gauge. 90 degree offset makes it alot quicker to get a reading.
http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

For the shocks. I used a small electric pump, like the "Slime" one, that had a built in gauge. I found that I lost 5 lbs just pullmg the pump off the shock, so.....I just filled them with five pounds more or air.

A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units.... Making filling the tires or checking pressure alot easier.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-16-2012 at 03:08 PM.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 03:21 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
For tires I use the Roadgear digital gauge. 90 degree offset makes it alot quicker to get a reading.
http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

For the shocks. I used a small electric pump, like the "Slime" one, that had a built in gauge. I found that I lost 5 lbs just pullmg the pump off the shock, so.....I just filled them with five pounds more or air.

A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units.... Making filling the tires or checking pressure alot easier.
That Roadgear gauge seems a lot like the Accutire that I've seen tons of recommendations for. Thanks. Now I have options. Without that 90-degree offset, I was wondering how I was going to get in there.

I bought a Slime gauge and it was garbage! I hope their pump is better. But yes, you're not the first to mention slightly overfilling it due to the loss.

I hadn't thought of replacing the stems. I'm also not so sure I'm a good enough mechanic to do it.

Thanks, Knifemaker.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-16-2012, 06:13 PM

This is what I use, got it from advanced Auto parts for $10. It's offset about 45 degrees so it will work with straight stems on our rims. Will read 1/2 lb on pressures. If you are military you get 10 percent off if you tell them so.

Autocraft Tire Gauge - Pencil - Digital

MCCT Mod
Pickup Mod
12 Volt Receptacle Mod
Memphis Shades Santa Cruz
Homemade Luggage Rack
NGK Iridium IX Spark Plugs
Harley Sportster Exhausts
Rotating/Flashing Tail Lights
170/80 Michelin Commander II
Saddlemen Highwayman Slant Jumbo Saddlebags
Bought 09/10 12.2k miles - 04/12 33.4k miles
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 08:50 PM

so, for stock shocks, how much pressure should be in them? i have to set it to its stiffest setting with just me on it because its low on air (i hope). haven't tried to fill them, as i dont want to over inflate them too much either

- 1998 Vulcan 750
- Black with red
- MCCT conversion
- Pick up coil mod
- Stereo with 3.5 inch speakers
- Sylvania ridiculously bright headlight
- Westco maintenance free battery
- Vance & Hines slash cut pipes
- Custom turn signal bracket
- Arrowhead universal turn signals (rear only)
- Kuryakyn longhorn offset highway pegs
- Suzuki Savage 650 rear shocks (2 inches shorter)
- Lowered front 1.5 inches
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfraser View Post
so, for stock shocks, how much pressure should be in them? i have to set it to its stiffest setting with just me on it because its low on air (i hope). haven't tried to fill them, as i dont want to over inflate them too much either
Useable pressure is from 0 to 43 psi.
Max is 71 psi.
Clymer manual says a 150 lb rider should be ok with atmospheric pressure (0 psi) and damper setting on #2.

The air pressure and the exterior spring resists compression in a bump, and the dampers slow the rebound by restricting oil passage through a "valve" of sorts. Not sure how the different settings adjust the flow, I just accept that they do.

Rule of thumb on this board seems to be to inflate them to 10% of rider`s weight plus luggage.
I`m just south of 300 lb and mine are inflated to 30 psi and damper on #3.
Max recommended weight on vn750 is 397 lb, so if I were to carry more weight I probably need to set dampers on 4, and pump shocks up tp max at 40-43 lb.

The stock Kaw shocks are not the best ever made.
Progressive Shocks and front springs have been praised as a big improvement when you decide to change out the OEM stuff for something better.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com...ies/index.html
The 412 Heavy Duty are the ones I would choose for my bike. 12 1/2" is stock length. ($299.95 per pair)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 05-23-2012 at 09:50 PM.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 06:29 AM

When I first got my bike the dampers were on #1 and there was 0lbs of air in the shocks. Felt "mushy" over bumps. I put them on #2 and put 10lbs in each shock and it rides better to me. I'm 160 so not too far from what the owners manual claims is the stock setup weight.

Oh, and I put the air in with a hand pump. It doesn't take much to put quite a bit of air in there.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units....
Got a link to a distributor besides Amazon ?...I checked every auto parts and custom shop in a 30mi radius, and nuthin ! And I gotta ride 12mi just to be able to GET air (due to the local options)....been wanting to add 90 degree stems fer ages ! Especially for the rear !

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post
Got a link to a distributor besides Amazon ?...I checked every auto parts and custom shop in a 30mi radius, and nuthin ! And I gotta ride 12mi just to be able to GET air (due to the local options)....been wanting to add 90 degree stems fer ages ! Especially for the rear !
is this it?
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010

or :
http://www.jpcycles.com/product/ZZ21730

Last edited by kc2dgq; 05-24-2012 at 07:27 PM.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-25-2012, 07:24 PM

Yeah, like thems....Ive seen screw ons too, but was concerned about centrifugal force on em. I cant find any anywhere local, just online.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement