Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Air Gauges - Tires and Shocks

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  skyboxer 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a preference in their tire air gauge and their shock air gauge? I've gotta get something better than the ones I've been using for my cars. And they don't have to be the same tool. In fact, I'm assuming they won't be the same tool - different needs usually require different tools.

Also, does anyone have a preferred method of filling their shocks - hand pump, foot pump, electrical compressor pump, etc?

#2 · (Edited)
For tires I use the Roadgear digital gauge. 90 degree offset makes it alot quicker to get a reading.
http://roadgear.com/digital-tire-gauge-p-40.html

For the shocks. I used a small electric pump, like the "Slime" one, that had a built in gauge. I found that I lost 5 lbs just pullmg the pump off the shock, so.....I just filled them with five pounds more or air.

A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units.... Making filling the tires or checking pressure alot easier.

#3 ·
That Roadgear gauge seems a lot like the Accutire that I've seen tons of recommendations for. Thanks. Now I have options. Without that 90-degree offset, I was wondering how I was going to get in there. :smiley_th

I bought a Slime gauge and it was garbage! :hitanykey I hope their pump is better. But yes, you're not the first to mention slightly overfilling it due to the loss.

I hadn't thought of replacing the stems. I'm also not so sure I'm a good enough mechanic to do it.

Thanks, Knifemaker.

#4 ·
This is what I use, got it from advanced Auto parts for $10. It's offset about 45 degrees so it will work with straight stems on our rims. Will read 1/2 lb on pressures. If you are military you get 10 percent off if you tell them so.

Autocraft Tire Gauge - Pencil - Digital

#5 ·
so, for stock shocks, how much pressure should be in them? i have to set it to its stiffest setting with just me on it because its low on air (i hope). haven't tried to fill them, as i dont want to over inflate them too much either

#6 · (Edited)
Useable pressure is from 0 to 43 psi.
Max is 71 psi.
Clymer manual says a 150 lb rider should be ok with atmospheric pressure (0 psi) and damper setting on #2.

The air pressure and the exterior spring resists compression in a bump, and the dampers slow the rebound by restricting oil passage through a "valve" of sorts. Not sure how the different settings adjust the flow, I just accept that they do. :)

Rule of thumb on this board seems to be to inflate them to 10% of rider`s weight plus luggage.
I`m just south of 300 lb and mine are inflated to 30 psi and damper on #3.
Max recommended weight on vn750 is 397 lb, so if I were to carry more weight I probably need to set dampers on 4, and pump shocks up tp max at 40-43 lb.

The stock Kaw shocks are not the best ever made.
Progressive Shocks and front springs have been praised as a big improvement when you decide to change out the OEM stuff for something better.
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/metric/412series/index.html
The 412 Heavy Duty are the ones I would choose for my bike. 12 1/2" is stock length. ($299.95 per pair)

#7 ·
When I first got my bike the dampers were on #1 and there was 0lbs of air in the shocks. Felt "mushy" over bumps. I put them on #2 and put 10lbs in each shock and it rides better to me. I'm 160 so not too far from what the owners manual claims is the stock setup weight.

Oh, and I put the air in with a hand pump. It doesn't take much to put quite a bit of air in there.

#8 ·
A good move is to replace the stock air stems with quality angled units....
Got a link to a distributor besides Amazon ?...I checked every auto parts and custom shop in a 30mi radius, and nuthin ! And I gotta ride 12mi just to be able to GET air (due to the local options)....been wanting to add 90 degree stems fer ages ! Especially for the rear !

#12 ·
Wait a minute! Do I need to remove the tire to install right angle/90-degree valve stems? Or is it something that attaches to the existing valve stem? :doh:
You don't need to remove the tire... But you have go break it down enough to get a wrench in there to tighten the stem down.

#16 ·
Just don't leave it on the tire when you ride off
The reason why, in part is inertia....all the weight goes from center wheel to out (can rip it out). Ive seen these add-ons, and had I found one would have bought...but only to be used for airing up. There are sweet 90 deg valvestems out there...some are rubber "pull in from insides", the rest are the ones with the nuts and hold a low profile....go with the nuts....
The above is as per my local custom shop which sells both....Im getting the aluminum with nuts and an anodized blue alum....he told me "when all else fails, trust yer nuts"....

#17 ·
I paid $2/piece for these at Jake Wilson when I purchased my last set of Metzelers and had dealer installed them when they replaced the tires. I put a 90 degree (first picture) on the rear and straight shortie (last picture) on the front. It also comes in a 45 degree option (middle picture) which would work equally well rear or front tire.

No issues after 2 years of riding with them, they look great, and checking tire pressure is a snap. Best $4 mod I made to the bike.

#18 ·
Thanks cglennon! Helpful! :beerchug: Maybe I'll do as you did and buy them, hold them until I have my tires changed (by someone not as fearful as me:baby:), and then ask them to do it for me. I think that sounds like a good plan. In the meantime, I'll pick up a cheap connector.

#20 ·
I was looking at more like this (there are variations to fit specific type rims)....they look a bit beafier to me to take on the centrifugal forces....cost just a lil more, but IMO worth it.

#21 ·
Update...I picked up a chrome 90 at my buddy's shop just like the ones CGLennon posted...the 90 wont work !...on my 85 anyway, the rim thickness will not allow you to insert and turn into position (past the bend), unless maybe drilling. A 45 of that style probably would work though, there's "just" enough play. The one I showed inserts from the outside and tightens inside the wheel...its the only kind of 90 that will work unless you modify your rim. I ended up installing a super short stem, and I STILL cant use most chucks. I ended up making my own adapter from spare parts and hose laying around.
Also...the easiest way to change out a stem, is to take a large C-clamp, let all the air out, place the clamp about 8" away from the stem, tighten, then use either a large flat screwdriver or tire iron to push the tire bead out of the way...mine took about 7 mins to do.

#22 ·
i got mine on ebay and they work fine ...look just like those pictured above

#23 ·
The rims on the newer Vulcans were possibly different than the early. Mine had nuts holding the stem in ('85), whereas say KC's had the slip thru automotive rubber type.

#24 ·
I bought a 30 dollar air tank from walmart because I seem to need air wherever the compressor isn't. It has a small enough chuck to fit them rear wheel. And for the shocks, I pull the popoff valve until the tank reads 30 then hit both shocks. Couldn't be easier.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.