Air Gauges - Tires and Shocks - Page 2 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Question Confused...again

Wait a minute! Do I need to remove the tire to install right angle/90-degree valve stems? Or is it something that attaches to the existing valve stem?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstein1 View Post
Wait a minute! Do I need to remove the tire to install right angle/90-degree valve stems? Or is it something that attaches to the existing valve stem?
You don't need to remove the tire... But you have go break it down enough to get a wrench in there to tighten the stem down.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You don't need to remove the tire... But you have go break it down enough to get a wrench in there to tighten the stem down.
I just found this: http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressur...8572007&sr=8-2

Won't that work instead of actually changing the stem? That's just a connector right? No assembly required?

This is not laziness you're witnessing. This is fear. If my bike wasn't my only ride, I'd feel more comfortable attempting my own work. Since I must rely on my bike, I'm so hesitant to mess something up.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottstein1 View Post
I just found this: http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressur...8572007&sr=8-2

Won't that work instead of actually changing the stem? That's just a connector right? No assembly required?

This is not laziness you're witnessing. This is fear. If my bike wasn't my only ride, I'd feel more comfortable attempting my own work. Since I must rely on my bike, I'm so hesitant to mess something up.

Yes, that would work. Just don't leave it on the tire when you ride off.

Oh, and just for the record, i don't know of anyone that pulled their wheels off, and broke down their tires just to put angled stems on. Most folks buy them...... and then have them installed when they get new tires.
KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 06-01-2012 at 06:58 PM.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Yes, that would work. Just don't leave it on the tire when you ride off.
You know me already!

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-01-2012, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Just don't leave it on the tire when you ride off
The reason why, in part is inertia....all the weight goes from center wheel to out (can rip it out). Ive seen these add-ons, and had I found one would have bought...but only to be used for airing up. There are sweet 90 deg valvestems out there...some are rubber "pull in from insides", the rest are the ones with the nuts and hold a low profile....go with the nuts....
The above is as per my local custom shop which sells both....Im getting the aluminum with nuts and an anodized blue alum....he told me "when all else fails, trust yer nuts"....

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 11:58 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
I paid $2/piece for these at Jake Wilson when I purchased my last set of Metzelers and had dealer installed them when they replaced the tires. I put a 90 degree (first picture) on the rear and straight shortie (last picture) on the front. It also comes in a 45 degree option (middle picture) which would work equally well rear or front tire.

No issues after 2 years of riding with them, they look great, and checking tire pressure is a snap. Best $4 mod I made to the bike.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
I paid $2/piece for these at Jake Wilson when I purchased my last set of Metzelers and had dealer installed them when they replaced the tires. I put a 90 degree (first picture) on the rear and straight shortie (last picture) on the front. It also comes in a 45 degree option (middle picture) which would work equally well rear or front tire.

No issues after 2 years of riding with them, they look great, and checking tire pressure is a snap. Best $4 mod I made to the bike.

Thanks cglennon! Helpful! Maybe I'll do as you did and buy them, hold them until I have my tires changed (by someone not as fearful as me), and then ask them to do it for me. I think that sounds like a good plan. In the meantime, I'll pick up a cheap connector.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Total Newbie

Makes one wonder why Kawasaki didn't just install angled stems in the first place. A little foresight would've been nice. But hey, then I wouldn't have learned all about valve stems.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 07:49 PM

I was looking at more like this (there are variations to fit specific type rims)....they look a bit beafier to me to take on the centrifugal forces....cost just a lil more, but IMO worth it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement