Why Dual Brakes & Dual Calipers? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Why Dual Brakes & Dual Calipers?

Just wondereing why the Vulcans have dual brakes on the front? I see other bikes with only one brake on the front . I can see it for a safety and stopping power but im a ridder that normally uses more back brake pressure than i do on the front. A few bad spills & slips from using to much front brake. Toss your ideas my way !

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM
Old Truck Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldHipWesTex View Post
Just wondereing why the Vulcans have dual brakes on the front? I see other bikes with only one brake on the front . I can see it for a safety and stopping power but im a ridder that normally uses more back brake pressure than i do on the front. A few bad spills & slips from using to much front brake. Toss your ideas my way !
You answered your own ?.
However I did hear of one member that removed one side of the brake system without noting any difference (in his opinion.)

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
70% of the bike's stopping power is in the front brake.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

post #4 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:15 PM
Daily Rider

Personally, I like the dual disc brakes. As far as using to much front brake it is just a matter of only using one or two fingers on the brake lever, up high closer to the lever pivot. That way you should be able to control the pressure much better and not end up locking the brakes up.

2000 VN 750
post #5 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 12:35 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

As the bike slows down whether from using engine braking, rear wheel or front wheel braking, weight is tranfered from the rear wheel to the front. So in a hard braking situation you can progressively brake harder on the front wheel for maximum stopping power. At the same time you have to ease up on the rear brake as weight is transfered off of it, to prevent locking it up and sliding out into a potential lo-side or high-side crash. You want to gradually release the brake too. This helps keep maximun traction throughout the braking cycle.

To avoid locking the front brake, gradually apply it to maximum over a one second time period. Practice counting ONE THOUSAND AND ONE, as you brake. If the brake is full on before the finish of the count, you are "grabbing" the brake, not using a controlled "squeeze".

Cglennon is pretty close, I think, in his estimate of 70% braking power on the front wheel on a cruiser type motorcycle.

Some sport bikes with gummy tires are capapble of doing "stoppies", or reverse wheelies, which shows that they can get 100% stopping power from the front brake.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 10-23-2011 at 12:49 PM.
post #6 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 04:50 PM

Hoss, you have too much time to read since your surgery. Hope you get out to put all that knowledge to work soon. You are the forums resident expert nowadays!
Bronson

2005 VN 750
MF Battery
Plexistar windshield
.040 pilot jets.
Splines lubed 1955 mi.
Marbled
Iridium plugs
Reset pickup coil gaps.
Metzeler ME=880s
Shindengen MOSFET RR
V & H Cruzers
Degoated
Speed bleeders
MCCTs.
post #7 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
Hoss, you have too much time to read since your surgery. Hope you get out to put all that knowledge to work soon. You are the forums resident expert nowadays!
Bronson
Well Bronson, I have been back to work driving truck since Sept. 1. I have an early start at 6 am, and usually finish by 2:30 pm. Still pretty tired after work and often retiring by 8 pm for an early rising at 4:45 am.

I really need to put in 30-40 minutes a day on an exercise bike, and with some weights to increase my strength and endurance.

Hope to able to ride next season.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to OldHipWesTex
Thanks for all the great answers guys! Im not a gear down to stop rider, gear down only at close to stopping and getting into 1st gear again at a stop sign or red light. There is alot of weight transfer normally to the front brakes while slowing down,, was just wondering why Maw Ki did it with two brakes in front. Maybe just a selling point!

Vulcan #1 1993 - 28K
Vulcan #2 1999 - 26k
It All Comes Down To 3 Things:
#1 Fuel
#2 Spark
#3 Mechanical
Any One Fails - Then It Dont Run

ANTICIPATED MODS:
Build Fiberglass Fenders F/R
Mold & Cast New Turn Signals Lights
post #9 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-23-2011, 11:38 PM

It is definitely NOT just a selling point. Look at all of the performance bikes. They put a LOT of emphasis on the front brakes. The VN750 uses one piston each on each caliper. There are bikes out there that use 6 pistons on EACH caliper. That shows you how important the front brake is. The reason you have had trouble with the front brake is that it works TOO well, not that it doesn't work right. In slow parking lot speeds the front brake can be too much and it tends to throw the bike off balance if the wheel is not perfectly aligned. That is why at slow speeds more attention needs to be paid to the rear brake. That is also why bikes like ours can get by with the comparatively paltry rear drum brake. This is equally true of cars.
post #10 of 64 (permalink) Old 10-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Well JW.... It was a selling point to me. Most of , if not all the cruisers I looked at back in 2002 had only one disc up front... The 750s duel discs... Along with the full instruments helped me make my mind up quickly on which bike to buy.

Selling points are GOOD things.....

And rather go into the whole world of braking techniques... I'll just say that if you only use your rear brake ... You don't know how to ride a bike and will likely get hurt at some point when good braking is needed.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement