Crack in Tire - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

Crack in Tire

Hey guys, did a pre-ride inspection and found a tire problem. My bike has about 6,700 miles on it right now and I'm running the stock Bridgestones. The tread is getting low, and I had every intention on getting new tires in the spring. It's getting late in the season and I don't have the expenses for new tires right now. Looking at the pic, do you think I should put the bike in winter storage and call it quits early, or do you think it would be fine for a month or two? Maybe it's repairable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-09 13.27.39.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	4126  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 02:59 PM
Drive less, ride more...

You don't say whether or not that tire is losing air pressure--and if so, approx how fast.

Judging from the pic you've provided though, it doesn't appear that the split in the tread penetrates to the materials underneath.

I would keep careful tabs on the future "progess" of this split, and also--do an air pressure check on the tire b4 throwing a leg over (even for short rides).

Later, after you install new tires, be sure to add "Ride On" tire sealant to your bike's new "shoes".

Many threads exist here already on the merits of different makes/models of tires, so I won't go into details here.

Good luck!...

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. As of now the tire is not losing air.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-09-2011, 05:26 PM
Old Fart

Garage
You might want to get a strong light and a screwdriver to make sure that there is not anything in the crack. It likely is not a crack per sae, but cut.

I had a piece of metal that did that to me once. I opened up the cut and pulled out a small chunk of steel. If clean, You can fill it with rubber cement , and I would not be too worried about riding on it as long as it is not deeper than the tread depth of the adjacent area.

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 03:26 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Looks more like a cut. Chances are you'll be OK, except that the cut is in the absolute worst possible direction. Check the depth with something not sharp to see if it goes below hte level of where the tread meets the carcass of the tire. If it doesn't, you should be OK for a while. You'd be better if it was turned 90 degrees - the way it is now, acceleration and decelration forces can potentially cause the cut to widen. Potentially.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-10-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
You might want to get a strong light and a screwdriver to make sure that there is not anything in the crack. It likely is not a crack per sae, but cut.

I had a piece of metal that did that to me once. I opened up the cut and pulled out a small chunk of steel. If clean, You can fill it with rubber cement , and I would not be too worried about riding on it as long as it is not deeper than the tread depth of the adjacent area.
My first thought was that you ran over something nasty. KM is right about checking for any remains in the tire, as that could cause a blowout. X2 about cleaning it and keeping watch for progress.

Keep the dirty side down,
Hippie
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Alright guys, thanks for the concern. I haven't driven it since I found the cut, so I'll give it a thorough check in the morning and report back with my findings.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2011, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Figured I'd let you know what I saw since some seemed interested. The cut is deep, but not dangerously so. There was nothing lodged in there. Wonder what I ran over? Anyway, I'll probably try some rubber cement like KM mentioned. Going to take it easy until the end of the season, then stick on some new tires in the spring. Based on other threads, I'm thinking the Metzler ME 880's. Again, thanks for all the responses!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:06 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcdude View Post
I'm thinking the Metzler ME 880's.
Good thinking there KC!

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM
Drive less, ride more...

You can buy good tires for your bike that are not ME880s.

But the 880s have an enviable track record of reliability and longevity.

Note also that the ME880 is the tire of choice out the factory door for both the Yamaha Raider and the Triumph Thunderbird. Both of these are of course bigger, heavier, & more expensive bikes than our VN750.

Just some food for thought....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement