I want a fatter front tire... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

I want a fatter front tire...

I've seen this asked about multiple different bikes, but can't find anything specific to the vulcan frame/neck. What kind of front end could i get for my 97 vn750 that would allow me to put a fatter front tire on? I'd like it to be as close to the rear tire size as possible. I'm not sure if this is possible without replacing the neck of the frame, but I thought I'd ask!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM
If only it had 6th gear..

Curious .... why would you want to have your front tire as wide as the rear? I believe the bike might handle like a toad since its designed for a pizza cutter up front but I may be wrong . I think there's a thread on here with pics of a rear tire mounted on a vn's front, end (not mounted on the bike tho). Ill see if I can find it and update...

Dave

Mods:
Jetted, shaved & coastered
Home made under-tank single filter
Converted ACCT's to manual (thanks wib714)
Dual vac lines on petcock (my cure for ticking)
LED tail/plate lights
Relocated helmet lock to license plate

Added stuff:
Customized hard bags w/ lights
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Home made 'Vita-Volt' meter
Foot rests on engine guard
Tunes

Hmm....she was on the back when we left.... ??
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2011, 08:43 PM
Old Fart

Garage
I could swear someone put a front end off a larger bike on the 750 without changing the neck, but not 100% sure what front end they used.

Perhaps someone can jog my memory on this and help you out also?

JD might know....Try sending him a PM:
https://www.vn750.com/forum/member.php?u=257

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 09-23-2011 at 08:53 PM.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 03:26 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
I have some information on this... Check out my scribd link and look for ocr tube sizes... there are a lot of different bikes that share the same neck bearings as our vn750... the vn1500 BUBF is an almost bolt on mod... IIRC a spacer needsto be made for the top tripple tree... other than that it bolts on.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
I have some information on this... Check out my scribd link and look for ocr tube sizes... there are a lot of different bikes that share the same neck bearings as our vn750... the vn1500 BUBF is an almost bolt on mod... IIRC a spacer needsto be made for the top tripple tree... other than that it bolts on.

I'm guessing it's in the "DIY Manual" file?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 10:53 AM

I'll ask again cuz I'm definitely interested. What are the advantages on this style bike to have a fatty up front? I do think it would look cool but are there other advantages like ride comfort, gas mileage ir whatever?

Dave

Mods:
LED tail/plate lights

Added stuff:
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Tunes

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesVulster View Post
I'll ask again cuz I'm definitely interested. What are the advantages on this style bike to have a fatty up front? I do think it would look cool but are there other advantages like ride comfort, gas mileage ir whatever?
The only real advantage to having a bigger ,i.e. wider tire is having more rubber on the road. Take a look at most sport bikes... they usually have pretty wide tires... Or at least ones closer in width to the rear.

But these bikes were engineered for this. Putting a radically wider tire on a cruiser seems kinda silly. It will increase gas consumption, make an already slow steering bike harder to steer, increase unsprung weight, and in my opinion... Just look weird.

The only reason I can see for getting a huge tire up front is if you are adding a sidecar. The stock wheel will take a 110 tire, which I think is a good thing. But going as wide as the rear? Not going to be an improvement in anything other than the increase in traction...but can cause other chasis/suspension problems.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:09 PM

Thanks Km. Kinda what I was thinking, especially with the gas mileage suffering because of the added ground contact/friction etc. Personally I like the onion ring up front and donut in the back with this style. I think that's why I like the Sportster look more than the bigger HD's. Small fenders etc. Never thought about the sportbikes having widers up front but that def makes sense. Your FJR has similar (or maybe even the same size?) on the f & r. Bet you get serious handling on it.

Dave

Mods:
LED tail/plate lights

Added stuff:
Chrome levers
Hellcat windscreen
LED running lights
Tunes

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:40 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The FJR has a 120/70 front and a 180/70 rear. They both are 17" rims. And Z rated tires.

When I said sport bike fronts were wider, I did not mean they were the same, just that you don't see really wide rears with tall skinny fronts like you do on cruiser bikes or custom-choppers.

I do think there were a few race/sport bikes that had very simular width front/rears, (smaller displacement bikes I believe) but as all bikes are rear wheel drive, having a wider rear is usually the logical pick.

I still recommend the 110 tire up front for the Vulcan...

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2011, 12:58 PM

Wide tires...

There IS an advantage to wide tires depending on where/how you mostly ride. For example : I live in farm and mountain country...many of the roads are in poor shape and even gravel. Almost all around here go for wider rims and tires. Adds to the "cushioning" effect that at times the forks wont produce, especially if slightly underinflated (10%).
After my accident with my SuperGlide (Showa forks bent like they were copper), I put a '53 wideglide front end on it. Triple tree bolted right up. And I added a new front tire (part of the old left with the Delta 88) and got one width narrower than rear. Had a 16" rim on rear, and a 19" Hallicrafters spool on front. What a dream that was to ride !...never shouldda sold it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement