Join Date: Aug 2011
1) First few pics is stripping the forks, and removing the dust seal.
2) Next is draining the oil, and removing spacer (1985 VN700 has a spacer on top of seal)....spacer just falls out when inverted and tapped...
3) then comes the seal removal, and Ive included a detailed pic of the automotive dent puller. Cost me about $4 in the early 80's.
I used a decking screw (not a sheetrock screw) and gently screwed it into the old seal. After yanking a bit, went 180 degrees and same...gently and slowly, seal came out.
4) I cleaned the seat channel for the snapring well, and after lubing the seal with a lil oil, slipped it right in just using fingers. Then I took the spacer (after filing it clean) replaced it on top of the seal, then took a PVC pipe and GENTLY tapped the seal home. PVC cut end HAS to be square !
5) I set in the snapring, making sure it was seated, then added dustboot. Added the oil normally.
I was gonna paint the lower tubes before reinstall, but will wait till winter, or whenever. I wanna get riding !!!!