swingarm ain't swinging - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

Angry swingarm ain't swinging

I got the front tire off, put a couple old small tires under the forks, strapped the forks to the center stand, took the adjusting nut off the brake arm, took the nut off the lower arm that holds the brake in place, and removed the lower shock nuts, pulled off the shocks, and the swing arms only dropped about 1/2" the suspension moves freely when I'm on it, but for the life of me, I can't figure out why the tire won't drop far enough for me to take the axle out. The tire is about 5" above the ground, so there is nothing stopping it there. What am I missing? Do I need to remove something else? Do I have a bigger problem? Should I just attempt to remove the exhaust like the manual suggests?

Please help
Thanks
Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Once Banned

The rear foot pegs. Did you take them off?

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
25,000+ original owner miles
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

no, I didn't see where they were attatched to anything that would stop the swing arm. i thought you only needed to remove the footpegs, so you could remove the shocks easier. Is that the problem? What would they attatch to that would stop the swing arm from dropping, wouldn't that stop them from working correctly when riding?

bk

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 11:30 PM
Once Banned

I had go out to the garage and recheck. Yeah, the chrome triangle thingy is attached to the goat's belly, and the belly is stopping the swing arm from moving down further. Seeing how the swing arm normally moves up, the belly doesn't get in the way.

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

The VN750 is not a dirt bike so I think that is normal (that is how it worked for me this past Sunday). I have a stock exhaust setup and after removing the shocks, there is just enough clearance so the axel can be removed. After removing the axel, and spacer on the right, then you slide the wheel to the right to slide it of the final drive and the wheel will drop down so it can be removed (not so easy to get back into place). I was checking the final driveshaft splines so I removed the final drive before moving the wheel out from under the bike and had much more room to maneuver the wheel.

Deuce (Loran Naperville IL)
1995 VN750 (Black w/ 2004 tins - no teal)
2003 VN750
Both have: - F&S Bags & brackets
- Corbin seat w backrest
- Progressive suspension.
- Kury iso goldwing grips
2 1983 V65 Magnas
2 1985 V65 Mangas (1 which is in many parts)
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 08:38 AM
Search Goddess

Removing the license plate should give you room to pull the wheel to the right, disengaging the final drive. I then tilted the top of the wheel to the left as I pulled it out.

One note.. I lifted the rear tire above my exhaust to get the rear axle off, With the shocks disconnected it will move up a lot further and clears the exhaust.

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 09:58 AM

Thats normal it would be easier just to take off the muffler,not the hole pipe just the end.Theres a clamp that holds it on and another bolt that holds it ,their right together.It slides right off.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 11:19 AM Thread Starter

I'm going to have to go home and look closer. I didn't think about the wheel only needing to move up Um.......duh! I guess these bikes aren't made to jump school busses.

I'm going to try removing the foot pegs first. My bike sat outside for 2 years when previous owner couldn't get it running. I'm afraid to try to take off the exhaust, for fear that something else will go wrong.

Thanks
Bob
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
Once Banned

No need to remove the exhaust. Are you following Fergy's instructions? He's very thorough. If not, here is his site with pics: http://pages.tstar.net/~fergy/writeups/final_drive.html

You may have to pull on the left exhaust a little for the axle nut to pass, but that's not a big deal.

I really believe that your belly is stopping you at this point. I had the exact same problem when I did mine. Couldn't figure out why the swingarm wouldn't move any further...

2000 A16
Drilled baffles
$65 leather saddle bags
Kuryaken grips
relocated R/R
de-badged
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

You people are great! I forgot, I can't try it tonight. It's my 20th anniversary, and wifey poo wouldn't like it if I spent the evening working on the bike again.

As soon as I can get her to let go of the purse strings a little bit, I'm going to become a site supporter. You have all saved me a LOT more $$ than I would have spent by taking the bike to a shop. ( It's been more rewarding too). The small fee of becoming a supporter is a VERY small price to pay.

Thanks again, I'll keep you posted, but I'm sure that's probably the problem.

Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement