Cutting springs for lowering - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2011, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

Cutting springs for lowering

Has anybody done this?

1995 VN750 - 10K
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 12:10 AM
Into the Darkness

Not recommended the springs ont he shocks are cut to the size they need to be for the opening. I had a friend do that on his bike which was a Honda, and after he cut the springs to lower it a little so his girlfriend could ride the bike the shocks actually went out. They make different size shocks you can buy to put ont he bike.

1990 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
English Version

ACCT to MCCT conversion video
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18235

ACCT to MCCT Conversion Thread created by wib714
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17917

Proximity Construction
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:53 AM
HAWK

Send a message via Yahoo to Ccspinner
In the front there are spacers that can be cut down and not cut the springs.
The rear just get shorter shocks, much safer.

Chad Falstad "Hawk"
Vroc #17649
2011 HD Ultra Classic "angel"
2001 Nomad 1500 Sold March 2012
2001 VN 750 "Sold June with 2008 with 21,000""Serinity"

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 07:17 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccspinner View Post
In the front there are spacers that can be cut down and not cut the springs.
Your still doing the same thing, and both are real bad ideas. Cut the spacer, or even the spring, you lessen your forks amount of travel. Given it only has about 3 1/2 inches to start with, any reduction over an inch would likely be very dangerous.

The best way to lower the front is to first increase the pre-load by installing a longer spacer...then raising the fork tube up in the upper clamps. Would not go much more than an inch.

This way you retain your fork travel, and the added preload helps avoid insuuficant trail issues over bumpy roads.

Ideally the best route to lower the rear is with a set of lowering blocks , but given that the stock shocks blow... I'd go with a shorter aftermarket set instead.

The only reason I can see for lowering the bike is because you are "height challanged" ... And it's alot easier to just lower the seat.....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

Last edited by Knifemaker; 05-06-2011 at 08:17 AM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post
Your still doing the same thing, and both are real bad ideas. Cut the spacer, or even the spring, you lessen your forks amount of travel. Given it only has about 3 1/2 inches to start with, any reduction over an inch would likely be very dangerous.

The best way to lower the front is to first increase the pre-load by installing a longer spacer...then raising the fork tube up in the upper clamps. Would not go much more than an inch.

This way you retain your fork travel, and the added preload helps avoid insuuficant trail issues over bumpy roads.

Ideally the best route to lower the rear is with a set of lowering blocks , but given that the stock shocks blow... I'd go with a shorter aftermarket set instead.

The only reason I can see for lowering the bike is because you are "height challanged" ... And it's alot easier to just lower the seat.....

KM
Progressive sells a kit to lower the forks. You have to pull the forks off to do it, but it's easy...... With the over sized tires and Saddlemen seat, I was on my tip-toes, now I'm both feet flat on the ground
oh, and if you are getting shorter rear shocks, you might want to consider the HD ones.... I bought the 10.5" standard shocks and have to turn the preload all the way up to keep from bottoming with the old lady on the back..
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 01:58 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knifemaker View Post

KM
Some people like the looks of a lowered bike and are too old to be doing 120 mph through the twisties.LOL

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 02:01 PM
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to OleDirtyDoc
I have installed a set of shocks from a Suzuki Savage on mine and raised the forks in the clamps about an inch.

ONE RATS ASS GIVEN PER POST
Support your local FREEBIRDS MC
1986/5 Vn700/750 Frankenfook cross eyed bitch "Mellisa Fayhe"
I am a BIKER and i'm proud.FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY

lowered with progessive 412 10" shocks
rejetted for K/N Pods part#rc 2340
sportster seat

'I didn't lose my mind.i gave it away

BRING BACK WOLFIE."Peace and Carrots"RIP
"And I'm free...as a bird"John Lennon Free as a Bird
"I only carry when I have my pants on"Joe Robinson RIP aka Old Dog
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-2011, 03:54 PM

While not height challenged- I am not tall and have debated lowering the bike an inch or two. Looks like replacing the rear shocks may be the way to go but I don't have the $ for those good ol' 11 inch progressives. How tall are the Savage's shocks? Did you have to modify them any way to get them on?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:29 PM

Hi my friend... install these HD rear shocks and do that you said ..... approximately how many inches I'm getting lower???
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2014, 05:33 PM

How many inches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariv View Post
Progressive sells a kit to lower the forks. You have to pull the forks off to do it, but it's easy...... With the over sized tires and Saddlemen seat, I was on my tip-toes, now I'm both feet flat on the ground
oh, and if you are getting shorter rear shocks, you might want to consider the HD ones.... I bought the 10.5" standard shocks and have to turn the preload all the way up to keep from bottoming with the old lady on the back..
Hi my friend... install these HD rear shocks and do that you said ..... approximately how many inches I'm getting lower???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement