might've screwed up... help... - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter

might've screwed up... help...

Ok... So a couple of weekends ago I got new tires for the bike... Went with the recommended oversized metzelers... I honestly don't remember if I road it after I got the tires back on or not... Since then I ordered some new lowering shocks... Well tuesday I got off of work early and rather than slap on the new shocks I went for a ride... Too my surprise the bike felt very unstable... Tipping really bad to the left... I only road for a little bit... Brought her home and parked her and haven't had a chance to look at her til last night... I really didn't think too much about things til I went to put on my new shocks and noticed that the right shock wasn't lining up with the mounts... Looking at the old shock the bushing looks tweaked and there seems to be some new wear on the shock itself... So I mustve done something to put thing out of alignment...
The left side seems to line up fine except the shaft housing does rub against the bolt that holds my exhaust pipe to the frame...

Full disclosure here, when I was mounting the rear wheel the new tire wouldn't fit between the hub and right mounting bracket so I loosened the 4 bolts on the spline housing... But I didn't even loosen them 1/8"...

-daniel

2000 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cruz View Post
Ok... So a couple of weekends ago I got new tires for the bike... Went with the recommended oversized metzelers... I honestly don't remember if I road it after I got the tires back on or not... Since then I ordered some new lowering shocks... Well tuesday I got off of work early and rather than slap on the new shocks I went for a ride... Too my surprise the bike felt very unstable... Tipping really bad to the left... I only road for a little bit... Brought her home and parked her and haven't had a chance to look at her til last night... I really didn't think too much about things til I went to put on my new shocks and noticed that the right shock wasn't lining up with the mounts... Looking at the old shock the bushing looks tweaked and there seems to be some new wear on the shock itself... So I mustve done something to put thing out of alignment...
The left side seems to line up fine except the shaft housing does rub against the bolt that holds my exhaust pipe to the frame...

Full disclosure here, when I was mounting the rear wheel the new tire wouldn't fit between the hub and right mounting bracket so I loosened the 4 bolts on the spline housing... But I didn't even loosen them 1/8"...

-daniel
sounds like the rear wheel is not mounted properly on the bike.or is in a bind.Loosen the axle bolt and turn the rear wheel by hand and see if it is running true loosen up the 4 bolts you did before and turn the wheel some more and see if it moves or wobbles.You did get the spacer and washer back where they came from ,right?

shake the wheel a little and see if it settles in to where it belongs and tighten the four nuts back down and then tighten up the axle.

all I had to do was deflate the oversize metz to get it back on the bike.Is it possible there was something bent before you changed tires?

Check the swingarm bushings too,it really sounds as if the swing arm is bent and has been that way for a while and the new/bigger tire just exaggerated the problem.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X

Last edited by denny6006; 05-01-2011 at 03:59 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:15 PM Thread Starter

Hey Denny... Everything seems to be fine in relation to the wheel... As far as assembly goes, I put everything back the way it came off but being a used bike the PO couldve messed things up... I've taken everything back off and pulled the final drive... The swing arm still looks off...

What's bothering me is the left side seems to line up fine...

2000 Vulcan 750

Last edited by the_cruz; 05-01-2011 at 04:18 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:28 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_cruz View Post
Hey Denny... Everything seems to be fine in relation to the wheel... As far as assembly goes, I put everything back the way it came off but being a used bike the PO couldve messed things up... I've taken everything back off and pulled the final drive... The swing arm still looks off...

What's bothering me is the left side seems to line up fine...
look at this and see if it helps any
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/74318

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:35 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
look at this and see if it helps any,BTW If you can take a photo or two ,I'm sure some others would chime in too ,maybe this is one case where a picture would be worth a thousand words
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/74318
and this
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/74312

VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:

Last edited by denny6006; 05-01-2011 at 04:42 PM.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Denny asked me to put my 2 cents in here so here's what I think..

First off...photos would help alot here.
Second you should not have had to loosen the drive shaft bolts to "make it fit" .

First thing I would do is take the wheel back off, and then measure the distance , center to center , of the shock mounting studs, then measure each shock. The shocks should match and so should the distance between each mounting stud.

Then look at the parts blow up Denny linked and make sure the wheel is assmebled correctly and fitting properly.

The "Eye" on each shock should be on the same plane and each bushing should be centered....if one shock is longer than the other, something is wrong. If the distance between each mounting stud is different side to side...something is VERY wrong.

That's all I got untill I see some photos and you take those measurements.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 05:33 PM

And if it comes down to it, I'm off Tuesday; gimme a shout, and I'll come take a look.

Jim

J.D.
Kerrville, TX
'95 Vulcan 750 "Therapy II",
aka "Raggedy Ann"
'95 VN750 project
'03 VN800B "The Little Black"
'04 VN800E Drifter project
'93 VN1500A custom project
VROC #16185
GCVROC #33

Photo album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/leekayd/sets
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Hey KM... Thanks for your input... Working off my phone right now so can't really get pics up... I will definitely check the distance of the shock studs... The wheel was just a hair wider than what would easily slide past the right side of the swing arm and the gear ring on the final drive... I can wiggle it off just didn't feel comfortable going the other direction... Felt like I was going to flip the bike

2000 Vulcan 750
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Jim... I may take you up on that... I climbed underneath and studied the swing arm mount... It seemd to be way to the left...looking at the clymers manual for the swing arm they have me confused... They say to use a 2.5mm shim to set the spacing but their picture shows them putting in the shim sideways??? I grabbed a .100" shim from work and used it to space the swing arm and it looks a lot more even and now the shaft housing clears the bolt... But I don't know if that is right or not

2000 Vulcan 750
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2011, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Update... Well after I realigned the sway bar I went ahead and put everything back together... Things looked a lot better although the wheel still looks like it sits too far left and when i sit on the bike it just clears the fender... However, took the bike for a spin to see how it feels and it rode straight as can be... No more tipping to the left... That's good news I suppose...

2000 Vulcan 750
Sponsored Links
Advertisement