best tire on a vn 750? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:52 AM Thread Starter

best tire on a vn 750?

Hey guys, just wanted you're opinion on whats a good tire for the vn750, I'm looking at buying one from a pretty nice price but the tires are shot and will need replacing before i can get it inspected. Thanks ahead of time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 AM

Hey my first tech reply...

I just joined but have been reading this site for the last couple of weeks. Most people here agree that the ME880 tires from Metzler are the go to best tires for our bikes.

Ride safe.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 01:33 AM
Banned

It's all a matter of preference. You want a good tire that is nice and sticky, but you want to figure out what is best for you.
Are you going to do a lot of interstate riding? Back roads with a lot of twisties? Dry weather, wet weather? Most tires will accommodate what you want to do, but it's best to research them. Make sure and check the date on the sides of the tires. You don't want to get any that are over a couple years old.
Most here use the Metzler ME880's. They are an awesome tire, but are expensive. But at the same time you only have 2 tires between you and the road, so get a good pair.
I always get a matching set of treads for both tires. I'm pretty sure you don't have to, but I'm sure someone will chime in and help with that.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 02:36 AM
gun slinger

Garage
i have the factory size useing dunlop 404's there super awsome in the rain!!!! i have put about almost 2000 miles on the bike in the last month or so .. there also great in the cold ( i hate northern ohio )i also have put the old girl damn near on the foot peg before in a hard turn with these shoes
rear tire was 97 bucks (shipped to me i took it off and payed to have it mounted and balanced) and the front was 125 bucks that was i took it off and they orderd the tire and mounted and balanced it

2010' voyager

2005 1600 nomad sold

1987 kawasaki vulcan 750 SOLD

1985 kawasaki vulcan 700 parts bike maybe
lots of hand guns
3 cagers doors kicked in

Last edited by centurynick; 04-22-2011 at 02:42 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:03 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Hello.....I have to throw in my 2 cents on this question.....as I feel it should be a two part question........Best tires for a Vulcan 750....period!......or best tires for a Vulcan 750 in a certain price range? Best tires period....... I would say there are three...... Pirelli Night Dragons, Metzeler 880's, or Avon Venom's. They all stick to the road great.....and are great in the rain.......The Avon's are very soft compound so they stick like glue......but will be worn out the fastest. The Night Dragons are Pirelli's answer to the Metz 880's. Both are a very good all weather.....decent mileage tire. If you don't want to spend over 150.00$ on a set of tires......my vote is for Shinko Tourmaster 230's. I own these currently and love them......good all weather tire and very high mileage out of these (8000 miles currently and only now beginning to show signs of wear.)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 04:11 AM
Love My Baby

Last year I replaced my stock Bridgestones with Pirelli MT66's. Best tires I've ever rode on. Zero wobble on metal grate bridges and incredible traction on wet Florida roads, even with sharp turns on rain-soaked pavement. They were much cheaper than the Metzler's as well, about half the price.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 05:22 AM

The bike I just bought has Shinko Tourmaster 230's and so far they work. I only have 100 miles on them and the previous owner just had them put on and they only had like 40 miles on them. I will post back later on how these hold up as I have a 65 mile commute daily so I will be racking up miles on them quick.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 08:07 AM

New tires are great, but always remember new tires or old tires you can still pop a hole in them from riding over nails and etc. I use ride on tire sealer, i could run over 100 nails and tires will still be inflated.

www.vulcanriders.us scuba
vn750.com scuba
vulcanforum.com scuba54220
vroc.org VROC # 32658 (scuba)
1984 kz750 ltd
1982 yamaha maxim 750
2002 nomad trike
1978 suzuki 250
1964 harley amf
1987 yamaha venture 1300
1984 honda silverwing
custom exhaust
custom mirrors
custom grips
custom floorboards
ride-on tire sealant
corbin seat and backrest
custom exhaust
willie & max saddle bags
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 03:08 PM

Avons

I was in the same situation 3 years ago and I did a lot of reading on the forum. At the time the Mets and the Avons seemed to be neck and neck. I got better pricing on the Avons and took the Knifemakers advice and put fatter tires on the bike. I love the tires and they still have plenty of tread after 10,000 miles. I think the rubber will go bad before I wear them out. Note, the fattter tire (see signature for sizes) actually corrected the speedometer as one of our members pointed out.

MAG659 - Mark George
Chagrin Falls, OH
1986 VN 750 - "Old Goat"
24,000 miles
Lubed Splines
MFB (Deka- AGM)
NKG - Iridiums
Plexistar II
Relocated R/R
Avon Venoms - wider
F-110/90
R-170/80
K&N Air Filters
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2011, 10:15 PM
Banned

ME880's.....................................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement