Handling - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:08 AM Thread Starter

Handling

I don't know if it's me or what. I had a chance to ride this 95 today and it's felt a little strange on turns and twists. some of the things I didn't rule out was the TIRES: Not the same tires from 95 but they are the same OEM type. Spitfires I think.. They look a little like a car tire from the 20's or 30's.. Not really rounded like a sport bike but not 100% flat. Also they do have good tread and not that old..

SHOCKS: The Shocks are stock from 95 and have the adjustments on the top.
I think right now they are set on 2. I'm 5'8" 170lbs if anyone has a good stating point that might help please don't be shy.

The first thing I'm thinking of doing is to put a lower shock on.. Maybe drop it 1 to 1.5 inches for a lower center..

The issue I'm finding feels like the back end. It feels like it want's to give out.. I don't expect to have the VN handle like a sport bike but I I feel like it's coming up just a little short of it capabilities..

Any suggestions would be great
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:43 AM

I'm no expert on handling or suspension, but maybe you should check tire air pressure and the shocks' air pressure as well. I think the Vulcan Verses has the proper psi, don't remember... sorry I can't give you the exact psi you should be running.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
I'm no expert on handling or suspension, but maybe you should check tire air pressure and the shocks' air pressure as well. I think the Vulcan Verses has the proper psi, don't remember... sorry I can't give you the exact psi you should be running.
Thanks, It's amazing how someone can overlook the simplest things like air pressure... Should of been the first thing on my list.. lol

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 04:06 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
Thanks, It's amazing how someone can overlook the simplest things like air pressure... Should of been the first thing on my list.. lol
If you are pushing it much in the turns bump the shocks up to 4 and see if that doesn't help some also I would not drop the bikes back end for handling purposes you just lose ground clearance and start dragging hard parts sooner.If adjusting the shocks help a little,go with a better shock in the rear and you'll find out the factory ones are crap.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 06:04 AM

I would get rid of those tires first! Riding a bike with unknown tire history can be very unsafe!!!
Next I would check the forks. Does the springs feel OK? Do they go up and down smoothly when you sit on it and apply the front brake and push the bike forward? May want to change the fork oil and springs.
The rear shock adjustment you are talking about is the re-bound or return stroke. Number 1 will be the weakest.......4 the strongest or slower stroke.
Air pressure controls the down force of the shock. These are set at 0 pressure from the Factory and a lot of guys run that.
The stock shocks are VERY GOOD but you need to spend a lot of time fooling around with the air pressure that works for you. Don't give up! I weigh about the same as you and I run 15lbs solo and 20lbs two up. You results may vary.
I really do not recommend that you put a shorter shock on the bike unless you are sure that you can still get the same travel as the stock set up. They don't have enough travel as is.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:21 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Danny, I'll give it a shot.

Al, Changing the tires is the hard part. They are less then 3 years old. The tread is better then good and they have no dry rot.. The bike was my brothers. He bought it new in 95 and has always gone to the dealer to get just about anything done to it..

The front seem good and solid and had new seals put in last year or a year before..
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 10:55 AM

Garage
Rear tire change would be my first choice after reading your first post. The tire resembles a car tire? Some motorcycles have touring tires that look like car tires. Not much grip for cornering.They last good for long rides but if you're gonna corner alot, like local riding, you need a tire that's good all around.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Old Fart

Garage
The stock rear shocks are not "very good" ...you really won't appreciate how not so good they are until you switch to a set of Progressives or Works Performance ones.

As suggested...15 -20 lbs in each shock and rebound on 4 will help alot... Tire pressure is important and unless the tires are badly worn they should still hold in a turn.

Other items that would not hurt to check is steering head bearings and swing arm bushings wear. Any play in either of them will effect handling greatly.

The rear shocks main fault is they provide no adjustable preload...and most riders under 185 lbs find them a bit to stiff. (if your brother weighs alot more than you they might just be worn out)

I'd stick with the stock length on the rear too (12.5") and try some different pressures both in the shocks and in the tire. I found that just a 2 pound difference can change handling significantly.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roncgizmo View Post
I don't know if it's me or what. I had a chance to ride this 95 today and it's felt a little strange on turns and twists. some of the things I didn't rule out was the TIRES: Not the same tires from 95 but they are the same OEM type. Spitfires I think.. They look a little like a car tire from the 20's or 30's.. Not really rounded like a sport bike but not 100% flat. Also they do have good tread and not that old..

SHOCKS: The Shocks are stock from 95 and have the adjustments on the top.
I think right now they are set on 2. I'm 5'8" 170lbs if anyone has a good stating point that might help please don't be shy.

The first thing I'm thinking of doing is to put a lower shock on.. Maybe drop it 1 to 1.5 inches for a lower center..

The issue I'm finding feels like the back end. It feels like it want's to give out.. I don't expect to have the VN handle like a sport bike but I I feel like it's coming up just a little short of it capabilities..

Any suggestions would be great
CK the front forks for signs of oil or rings on the forks. Or maybe dry looking seals. Also, if the front tire is wearing sort of choppy, these are all signs of low or unequal fork oil. Nothing will make a bike handle more squirrely that low or unequal oil up front!

'94 VN 750 17k mi. Aqua, Memphis shade.
Acquired 2/2011
Oiled
Tank cleaned
New Fork seals
Marbled
Idle jets-RT-3.0, Lft-2.5 turns
Sea Foamed
New Batt for grins
Stupid hose in the rt ear found and fixed
Major clutch adj.
New Petcock
New Shimko tires
De-goated before I got it.
Iridium plugs
YEA! New choke cable!!
Gonna do the Spline Lube soon(Chged tires before I found this site)

Replacement for my FXDWGI
Why didn't I find these before I spent $22 grand!!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-10-2011, 11:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, It's going to be a nice day here tomorrow and lucky me has the day off
Before I ride off I'm going to pump up the shocks with a hand pump then I'll check the air in the tires. If I change out the rear tire will the bike fit a 180 w/o issues? I don't mind doing some minor mods but I don't want to go nuts...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement