front brake pad question - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

front brake pad question

Hey everyone,

Got a repair shop changing my fork seals (the downside to not having a backyard in a city) and they said some oil has leaked onto the front brake pads. Obviously they want to replace them at high cost so I said I would do it myself.

They felt a tad mushy on the ride over, but I had/have a feeling there may be an air bubble in the fluid. Was going to change the fluid anyhow. What do you guys think? Clean the rotors/change fluid and see how it handles or replace the pads? (I should be able to find a write up on here). Side note question- taking off the pads and putting them in brake cleaner for a while- would that break down any oil on there?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 12:50 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I would do the brake cleaner route and see how it goes from there. I would just spray the disk and wipe it dry, a little bit on the pads. But you be the judge, you are the one in the saddle.

02 honda sabre 1100

Last edited by niterider; 04-01-2011 at 12:52 PM.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 01:51 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Yeah , I would not soak the pads...just raise the front end...spin the wheel and spray down each side.

The pads should not be that porus that they are "soaked" with oil.

Bleeding is the next move....

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

As a follow up- well the pads themselves are pretty grimy and oil covered. I decided I may as well replace them, but ran into 1 thing- the manual says to push the caliper holder towards the piston to release the pads. I can't get mine past flush with the brake pad holes. Any suggestions/tricks?

Also, I have seen pistons where you can put a flat head screwdriver and turn them inward. Is that fine for this bike as the others? Or would that just run the risk of damaging the piston.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 08:38 PM
Old Truck Junkie

Are you using a "C" clamp to push the piston in?

02 honda sabre 1100
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-18-2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter

I have one, but I can't get to it yet since the larger pad isn't out. I am not sure if there is enough surface area on the caliper holder to use a c-clamp on that though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:11 PM

Brake pads

So, I am unable to find any thing on the web about changing the pads in general. How the heck do you get the big pad's off the front caliper?! Year is 2005 size 750, feel like a rookie all over again!
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 04:37 PM Thread Starter

Here is the plan so far:

-Put bike on center stand.
-Bleed out some of the brake fluid (use a tiny hose) from the bleed valve on the right side caliper (makes it easier). Don't let air into your system.
-Use 10mm (I think) socket and undo the 2 bolts holding the caliper on the fork tube.
-Pull the caliper assembly off and look at how the pads are in there. The pad on the piston side is smaller and just held in by pressure and two notches towards the base (you will notice them when you push it out).
-The two black caliper holders can be pressed in towards the piston to get the larger pad out. This is where my issue is since I can't quite get enough clearance to get it out. Trying again today.
-Use a C-clamp or hand to push the piston as far in as you can. This is why you drained some brake fluid.
-Put new pads on and attach caliper back to bike. MAKE SURE to pump the brake handle a few times to get the new pads to bite.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-20-2011, 05:14 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

There are 3 or 4 pages of instructions for front brake pad replacement in the Clymer manual, and I assume in the Kaw manual on the TOC site or the one in Kanuck69`s sigline.

Most of the instructions are pretty straight forward and common sense if you have changed brake pads on a car.
One that I hadn`t noticed before was to check the back of the brake pad`s steel plate for roughness and file it smooth if needed.
Also apply a little high temp disc brake lube to the end of the piston and the back of the steel plate when assembling.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonoranGecko View Post
So, I am unable to find any thing on the web about changing the pads in general. How the heck do you get the big pad's off the front caliper?! Year is 2005 size 750, feel like a rookie all over again! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/hitanykey.gif[/IMG]
Also had this issue at first. A perfect amount of pressure back on the cushioned pins provides just enough but barely enough room to slide off one side of the large pad. If the pin is gunked up it may be near impossible to push it back far enough to slip the pad off its guide. Also consider a drummel tool to cut the pad if you are so daring to do so. I didn’t have to take it that far but it seemed like it might be fun to try. Also grease those suckers up or WD40 it and pull like hell with pliers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement