Oversize Rear tire or Not? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-11-2011, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Oversize Rear tire or Not?

Ok, yes another tire thread.

There seems to be a consensus on the forum for a front oversize 110/90/19 tire but there is some disagreement regarding the rear. Just want to make sure I make the right decision so what are your opinons for and against an oversize Rear 170/80/15 tire?

Plus I've looked at Jakewilson, Rockymountain, Ron Ayers, Southwest Moto and found the following prices and as of now will probably go with the MT66 unless convinced otherwise. Thanks

Pirelli MT66 $69 & $101 Total $170

ME880 Front $113 & $150 Total $263

Avon Venom Front $101 couldn't find price on rear Total ?

Anybody got a price on the Dunlops?

1986 VN 750
20,000 miles
MF Battery
Replaced Stock Turn signals
Starter Clutch
NGK plugs
MT66 Pirelli's
Seafoam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 12:13 AM
Drive less, ride more...

There are of course opinions all over the place on this topic.

It's up to you of course to decide how much you want to spend, and the look you want. That's what it really all boils down to.

For my part, I have over 10,000 miles on the ME880's with the recommended oversized front and rear tire sizes (see my pix in the signature link below). There were no fitment issues. There have been no "expansion" or other interference issues after the install. The mechs that put them on did not come to me and say something like, "they won't fit" or "we have to modify or move (fill in the blank here) to get your rear tire past the swingarm." There are/were no rub marks on either side, or the top, of either tire.

The bike definitely handles more securely with the larger sizes. They look better on the bike, too.

Despite all the hubub you may be hearing or reading elsewhere, the recommended larger sizes just fit. Period.

Depending on how it's done and who does it, you may in fact have to let some air out of the rear tire on install to get it to clear, but of course it's no big deal to fill it back up afterwards.

The Metzelers may in fact cost a bit more than some of the others, but I now have over 10k on both, and their treads look great. I'd say the back is good for another 10k; the front, at least several thousand more, anyway. For a while, these were the factory tires on the Yamaha Raider. Not sure if they still are, or not.

I've also ridden these tires some in the rain. They have not let me down.

To help keep flat tires and blowouts at bay, be sure to use/install "Ride On" tire sealant in your new "shoes" after you put a few hundred miles on them. Someday, you'll be glad you did.

Check the date of manufacture on your new tires (preferably b4 they're installed!). They shouldn't be more than several months old, if that.

It helps airing up a lot.....if you order and install a diagonal tire valve stem in the rear tire. Go with the all metal version only.

Hope some of this helps.....

'05 VN750

For other bike pix & mods, go to:
http://s1203.photobucket.com/albums/...k/VN750%20pix/
post #3 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 05:22 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

^I agree with everything he said!

I have the larger size Metz 880's front the rear. I love them! handling is much better and they stick like glue!

but I agree, whatever tire you go with, you will be happier with the larger size tire. the larger front helps a lot with handling and the larger on the rear not only helps with handling but will lower your RPM's at highway speeds. also they look better and with the larger tire you get MORE tread on the road, which is a GOOD thing!

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!

Last edited by ruger; 05-01-2011 at 10:42 AM.

post #4 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Don't forget to check prices at ....wwwMotorcycleSuperstore.com. They have super low prices. The Metzeler's are a very good tire......I have heard that the Avon's stick like glue......but wear out in like 4000 to 5000 miles(super soft rubber compound). I recommend the Pirelli Night Dragons......amazingly great tire.....only problem is that they don't offer an upgraded size for the front ...only the OEM size!
post #5 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:33 AM

I've read a lot of the debates about oversized tires for the last several months and made the decision to go oversized. The Pirelli's are my choice for the best I can afford. I haven't yet made the purchase, but am looking. I've found the same prices you quoted...nothing lower anywhere right now.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #6 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to make sure the overwhelming majority says oversize the rear as well. Doesn't sound like I can go wrong with either the ME880s or MT66. Thanks for the input.

1986 VN 750
20,000 miles
MF Battery
Replaced Stock Turn signals
Starter Clutch
NGK plugs
MT66 Pirelli's
Seafoam
post #7 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 PM
Yahoo VN750 Group Owner

Send a message via Yahoo to Pick
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldBikeNewRider View Post
Just wanted to make sure the overwhelming majority says oversize the rear as well. Doesn't sound like I can go wrong with either the ME880s or MT66. Thanks for the input.
I have the oversize ME880 on the back (110 won't fit on the front with my Tour Pack front fender). I took the wheel off and took it to the dealer to have the tire mounted. He asked me to verify that I knew somebody who had done it so he would know that the size would work. I called JD in TX and he assured me that is what he had. So they went ahead and mounted it, and I had no trouble reinstalling the wheel. It works, but I can't say that I have noticed any great difference. I keep them at 40 psi front and rear, and I get over 20,000 miles on a set.

Jim "Pick" Foster
Dixon, IL
VROC #9492
2010 Honda NT700V
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jimfost/sets/
http://s186.photobucket.com/albums/x294/jimfost/
post #8 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 06:50 AM

FYI -- just found the Pirelli MT66 oversized tires (110 front/170 rear) at www.chaparral-racing.com for $168.76/set and free 2-day shipping. Best deal I've seen so far.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

post #9 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 08:39 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

That "is" a super deal on Pirelli Route MT66's. Those are an excellent tire set also. You can't go wrong with Pirelli. Hey Johnm......what is your most important feature of new tires..... Long Mileage, Road grip in wet/dry, or Price?

Last edited by BRET H; 03-13-2011 at 08:42 AM.
post #10 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-13-2011, 10:30 AM

^^^I'm totally selfish and cheap with most all my purchases...lol. I always strive to find really good quality at really good prices. (Hey, that's how I got a VN750). May not always be top-of-the-line, but it's not gonna be cheap "junk" either. (Not trying to fuel any debates here. Just saying price is not the only deciding factor).

I plan to do some long distance rides this year and need a good all-around tire... good handling is on my short list of qualities (gotta hit the twisties) and hopefully I'll get good mileage, too. I think the Pirelli's will give me both at a price that doesn't make my eyes bleed. (Gotta save some cash to avoid the fuel loan).

I also plan to use Ride-On tire sealant which is sworn by others to help protect against flats, provide better tire balance (and thus a smoother ride), and longer tread life. I hope it lives up to its claims. I'll let ya know.

Prolly gave ya more than you intended from a simple question. LOL

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

Sponsored Links
Advertisement