Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Finding new tires

I need tires for my 85 VN700.
Where is a decent place to buy new w/o having to spend $300.00 for a set?
Local Kaw dealer wants $240.00 for a rear alone!
Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Funny you should ask about this. I was just looking at tires for my ride today. My search was online and specifically for oversized tires, so your results may vary. Here's what I found: cheapcycleparts.com has a set of Pirelli MT66 Route for $171.10 plus shipping. This is a 110/90-19 front and a 170/80-15 rear. If you go with a stock size and a different brand, Dunlop for instance, your cost should be even less. Metzlers are high end and carry a heftier price tag.

Other sites had my tires for slightly more ($171.98) at motorcyclesuperstore.com and rockymountainatvmc.com.

There are quite a few posts in the archives here about tire choices, brands, sizes, etc. and lots of helpful folks on this forum I'm sure will chime in, too.

Good luck in your search.

John

1989 VN750
VROC#31798

I'm bad with names. May I just call you dumb?
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

When I was looking for tires, jakewilson.com and rockymountainatvmc.com (believe it's the same parent company, different divisions) had the best prices for the Pirelli MT 66 tires I ordered. Have put 14,000 on them; rear has some tread left, and the front quite a bit.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-12-2011, 09:14 PM
Old Truck Junkie

I got some kenda's from JC Whitney. They did the job for me.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:11 AM
Ron

I bought a set of oversized Kenda Kruz from Ridedirect last season. So far really happy with them, we'll see how long they last.

http://www.ridedirect.com/search_tires_by_size.html

Ron
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 12:46 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
When I was looking for tires, jakewilson.com and rockymountainatvmc.com (believe it's the same parent company, different divisions) had the best prices for the Pirelli MT 66 tires I ordered. Have put 14,000 on them; rear has some tread left, and the front quite a bit.
Another vote for jakewilson.com and rockymountainatvmc.com (same company, warehouse, ordering, etc.). Great service and great price, when on sale. They also have coupons, like free shipping, that can be found on coupon sides like retailemenot.com. Also, get their metal 90 or 45 degree tire stem for the rear tire. It make checking the rear tire pressure a lot easier.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 01:03 AM
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

Yes....I have also been doing some very intensive online tire shopping comparing tire prices and shipping charges. I have been shopping for either a set of (110/90/19 front) (170/80/15 rear) Shinko Tourmaster 230 price 127.00 a set or....... (100/90/19 front) (170/80/15 rear) Pirelli Night Dragon price 225.00 a set. I have to say Motorcycle Superstore and Jake Wilson / Rockymountainatvmc ....both have the best prices on the internet. There prices are truly "Rock Bottom". I am pretty sure all three of those stores offer free shipping on orders over 100.00........Also, I second the advice of the previous post....get the 90 degree valve stem for the rear tire.....it will save you alot of headaches!!!!! I hope this is helpful. Oh yes......For those of you that are unfamiliar with Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires......I found a picture online that proves that they are just renamed Yokohama Tour Star tires(same exact tread pattern) from before Yokohama sold there motorcycle tire division to Shinko Tires. Most Shinko motorcycle tires are just old Yokohama tire designs. I currently own a set of Shinko Tourmaster 230's and I have to say.....for the price....you can not get a better performing tire. For those looking for softer compound high performance cruiser tire....the Pirelli Night Dragon's are where it's at! This series is newer from Pirelli.......check them out! They seem to be a tire designed along the lines and offer the same performance of the Metzeler Marathon 880 and Avon Venom AM41/AM42, but they cost about 30.00 to 50.00 dollars less a set. They are marketed specifically as a tire designed for high torque V-Twins of today! That's right up our alley because the design of the Vulcan 750 was way before it's time anyway!

Last edited by BRET H; 02-13-2011 at 08:11 AM. Reason: misspelled word/ added info
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 10:11 AM
Headbanger/Popes of Hell

just remember, tires are the ONLY thing between you and the pavement and you ONLY have two! so, how much is your life worth! buy the best you can get because when it comes to tires, you get what you pay for!

as for getting a 90 degree valve stem, you may want to get a 90 degree valve stem extension. I have read about many that had problems with 90 degree valve stem and the extensions worked better for most people. besides you can use the extensions on any bike.

if it goes vroom or boom, I LIKE IT!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:28 AM
Old Fart

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
...as for getting a 90 degree valve stem, you may want to get a 90 degree valve stem extension. I have read about many that had problems with 90 degree valve stem and the extensions worked better for most people. besides you can use the extensions on any bike.
Odd, I have heard the exact opposite,that those with "extensions" had issues with them loosening up and/or leaking...while the bolt on aluminum angled valves worked flawlessly.

You really do not need "90 degreee" valve stems, the 45- 85 degree ones work well too.

However I do reccomend the machined aluminum ones and not the ones that just look like bent metal tubes. These cost more, but seem to worth it.

Can not find the link for the ones I posted before, but they look just like these:
http://www.motostrano.com/90devast.html

I do reccomend not using any kind of extension that screws on to the exsisting valve stem....unless you only use it fill the tires and not to ride with.

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 02-13-2011, 11:32 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger View Post
...as for getting a 90 degree valve stem, you may want to get a 90 degree valve stem extension. I have read about many that had problems with 90 degree valve stem and the extensions worked better for most people. besides you can use the extensions on any bike.

No problems with the 90 degree metal tire stems purchased from JakeWilson.com after almost a year of use. Only cost $2.00. Also, most tire stem extensions can not be left on the tire during operation, if the tire is equipped with standard rubber stems. The added off-centered mass and centrifugal force will stress standard rubber tire stems and cause them to fail. That means installing and uninstall the tire stem extension every time you need to check the tire pressure and add air.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 02-13-2011 at 02:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement