Using SpeedBleeders - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Using SpeedBleeders

I just got a set of SpeedBleeders for my vn750. I would like to replace the fluid. I've got about 8,500 clicks on the bike, and I'm guessing the fluid has never been changed (I'm the second owner).

I have a couple of questions, as I've never done this before.

First, it seems to me that when I install the SB, I will be removing the stock bleeder valves. Won't the fluid pour out during this process? Or will the fluid only exit the system if I depress the brake lever?

Now, do I have this right? Once the SBs are installed, the procedure would be to pop the cap off of the reservoir, attach the hose to one SB and open it up. Then slowly pump the lever to purge fluid, making sure to keep adding fluid up top to keep air out of the system. Once I see a steady stream in the hose (no air bubbles), close that SB and move to the other side and repeat. Then close that SB and fill the reservoir.

Sorry if my questions seem basic... this procedure is new to me. Just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance!

==========
Peter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via Skype™ to KIMMERLING
basically thats right. I thought there were instructions with them. The fluid will come out if you remove the stock bleeder. Thats ok. Just put the new pimpalicious speed bleeders on and i believe you rotate them open 1/4 turn and pump the brake. There are excellent threads about bleeding brakes you should check out on here. It matters how intense you want to be. Some pump rubbing etoh through to get all the moisture out. I just used new fluid and pumped till all new stuff was in there. Then i tied the brake handle down overnight to compress the bubbles and make them rise.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
"To strive, to seek, to find, not to yield."
05 Vulcan 750 26,050miles *Traded in*
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Givi windshield/Heated grips
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
Pat Walsh Crash bars skid plate
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
Aquarium thermometer with forward probe mount
Admore LED Lighting/Givi E36N panniers
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 02:14 AM Thread Starter

I ordered them from the SB website and they arrived without any instructions. I have read a few of the threads here, especially one with lots of photos... although he wasn't using SB.

==========
Peter

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:51 AM

I used a krystalveissen beer bottle i had laying around and just pumped the brake fluid into it. The speedbleeder website has little clear plastic baggys for when you are racing and need to pull the vulcan over to do a quick brake fluid change.

2011 Suzuki VSTROM DL650 with ABS Purchased Jan 28 now with 39,000miles WRECKED JAN 12 ,2013
Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter View Post
I just got a set of SpeedBleeders for my vn750. I would like to replace the fluid. I've got about 8,500 clicks on the bike, and I'm guessing the fluid has never been changed (I'm the second owner).

I have a couple of questions, as I've never done this before.

First, it seems to me that when I install the SB, I will be removing the stock bleeder valves. Won't the fluid pour out during this process? Or will the fluid only exit the system if I depress the brake lever?

Now, do I have this right? Once the SBs are installed, the procedure would be to pop the cap off of the reservoir, attach the hose to one SB and open it up. Then slowly pump the lever to purge fluid, making sure to keep adding fluid up top to keep air out of the system. Once I see a steady stream in the hose (no air bubbles), close that SB and move to the other side and repeat. Then close that SB and fill the reservoir.

Sorry if my questions seem basic... this procedure is new to me. Just want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks in advance!
SpeedBleeders are a great maintenance product! Here are a few tips I've learned;

Installation:
  • Wrap a rag just below the brake bleeding valve to catch any brake fluid lost during installation.
  • Remove the master cylinder cap, top off the reservoir (fill it to the top) with brake fluid, then reinstall and secure the cap. This will help minimize the amount of fluid lost and prevent the master cylinder from running dry during the installation process.
  • If the existing bleeder valve does NOT have a rubber cap, then temporarily use the one provided with the SB valve. This will also help minimize fluid loss during installation.
  • Have the SB valve ready to install quickly after removing the original brake bleeder valve to limit the amount of brake fluid lost during the install. NOTE: only a small amount of fluid will come out since the capped master cylinder reservoir will generate a vacuum, reducing the flow of fluid.
  • The SB valves have thread lock and will NOT screw in easily by hand. It must be done by wrench. Do not be so overly concerned about the brake fluid leaking that you do cross thread the valves during installation. Take your time. Brake fluid is cheap, tapping the caliber is not.
  • Repeat on second caliber.

Bleeding:
IMPORTANT: SB should not be used to bleed a system that is completely dry. The brake system will not compress the air sufficiently to open the SB check valve. Initial bleed should be done using standard bleeder valves or no valve at all (i.e., gravity bleed). Install the SB valves AFTER the system has been filled with brake fluid.
  • Install a length of clear tubing onto the SB valve. Loop the tubing straight up, then down into a clear container. The loop straight up will catch and hold the fluid close to the valve opening for inspection.
  • Open the master cylinder and top it off with fresh fluid.
  • Open the SB valve 1/4 to 1/2 way. The thread lock will prevent the fluid from escaping around the valve.
  • Pump the brake handle about 3/4 of the way. Don't pull the brake handle all the way to the handlebar, that might damage the master cylinder. Just pretend that you're pulling up to a stop sign with no other vehicles around. Slow and steady.
  • The check valve in the SB will close when the brake handle is released. Note: sometimes the brake handle will need a gentle push back to its fully extended position. Nice and easy.
  • Continue pumping and topping off the master cylinder (don't let it run dry!!!!) until the fluid coming out of the SB valve is clear and free of bubbles. Having the tubing loop just after the SB valve will make this easy to determine.
  • Close the valve.
  • Move to next valve and repeat the process. This will take less time since the primary line has already been flushed.
  • Test the brake function when all calibers have been bleed.
  • Repeat every 2 years.

After many, many uses the thread lock on the SB valve will wear away and allow fluid to escape around the threads. Remove the valve and reapply thread lock. Never had this happen, since I only change the brake fluid every 2 years and the thread lock last a long time.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR

Last edited by cglennon; 09-23-2010 at 04:33 PM.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 03:47 PM

Your process is entirely right. When you unscrew the stock bleed bolt pesky gravity will leak out some of the fluid. If you do the off and on operation quickish you will be fine. Rags are a must.

I usually just offer a friend a beer and do it the old fashion way with 2 people. Speed bleeders seem entertaining though. If you are still not 100% ok with poking at the brakes/installing the speed bleeder- there are a couple videos on youtube if you search "motorcycle" and "speed bleeder".
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:11 PM

great write up on the process!

Ventura guards
MadStadt mount
Backoff
Riderbeads
Givi 52 topcase
OEM centerstand
Headlight modulator
Battery tender
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quite often while bleeding the brakes on my cars over the years, they would just gravity bleed and not need to have the brake pumped at all.

Is there some reason why the brakes on the Vulcan will not gravity bleed with the stock bleeders if the passage is clean and clear?

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 09-23-2010 at 06:50 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-23-2010, 07:54 PM

I have sb on my street rod and I found that there was not enough thread sealer so I used some teflon tape since I did not have any sealer on hand and have not had any issues. as I said before use thread sealer thread lock is not the same because it is more watery and works like a glue. If used 1 you will not seal anything rendering them useless and 2 you will break them when trying to remove them. Thread sealer is in the same isle as thread locker. It is mainly used to seal the head studs on an engine that thread into water jackets like small block v8 and pretty much all automotive engines.

Harley sportster fenders
custom raked front end
custom exhaust
vn800 tank and guages
modified seat and recovered
rear frame chopped
custom wiring harness
airbox removed
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Quite often while bleeding the brakes on my cars over the years, they would just gravity bleed and not need to have the brake pumped at all.

Is there some reason why the brakes on the Vulcan will not gravity bleed with the stock bleeders if the passage is clean and clear?
There is nothing wrong with using the stock or standard bleed valves to gravity feed, especially given the short distance between the master cylinder and caliber on most motorcycles. It is an easy 1 person job (active or gravity) as long as your arm's length spans the master cylinder and brake caliber. However, gravity bleeding, even on motorcycles, is like watching paint dry; slow and boring, IMHO. No offense to paint drying watching fans intended! In comparison, SpeedBleed type valves make bleeding very faster, very easier and foolproof. Best for racing bikes that change brake fluid often, but worth a few bucks if you want a fast, easy and foolproof 1 person brake bleed every 2 years. Think of all the beer you'll save by not having to have to bribe a buddy open and close the caliber bleed valve while you operate the brake.

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement