Good weekend turned bad! Help? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter

Good weekend turned bad! Help?

Well, this was supposed to be a good weekend for my VN700... I managed to clean the carburetors and put them back in, I had already changed the oil, I replaced and relocated the R/R, I got a fresh battery (not AGM, but fresh), I did the marble thing for the reed valves, I changed a bunch of old dried up hoses... everything was going ok, and then I look at my front brake cylinder and there's this sight thing on it to see the level of the fluid, but it looks kinda dark, so I rub it with my finger to see if it clears up...

Well, the sight glass (plastic it seems) seemed to disintegrate!! It just broke with just rubbing it with my finger!! I was soooo pissed off... think it can be fixed or plugged or something, or am I just doomed to buy another cylinder?

Last edited by Ceal; 09-12-2010 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 PM
Banned

That's a new one..... I think I would try to plug it somehow. Do you know anyone good at welding aluminum? That might be an option.... I don't know. Looks like the cylinder is sold as an assembly: 43015-1283
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/model...semblies/73186
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:23 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

I don`t know if there is any way to repair a broken sight glass on the master brake cylinder. Maybe check with a watchmaker to see if he has a watch crystal of the right diameter to fit the hole, and silicone it in place. Not the prettiest fix, but maybe functional??? The brake fluid in the reservoir is not under pressure, only the fluid in the brake line in front of the brake piston operated by the hand lever.

Here is a whole front brake assembly off a 1986 model, on ebay for $60. The rectangular MC was used from `85 to 1990.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KAWAS...Q5fAccessories

Another one off a 2003 for $297. (This one has a round master cylinder used from 1991-2006, but with the hand lever included it should be a straight bolt on. The brake hand lever shape is different for the rectangular and round MC.)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawas...Q5fAccessories

I couldn`t find any master cylinders only for sale on ebay.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 01:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, I had already checked ebay, so I posted another thread here to see if someone has one for sale. I like that watch crystal idea... I don't care if it doesn't look that good, just want to ride the bike. I do have a master cylinder from my EX500, they are the same except that the one on my Vulcan has the thread for the mirror and the EX500 MC doesn't have that. I can use that one in the meantime until I get a Vulcan MC or maybe get different mirrors that attach differently(?). I'm not sure, gonna scout my options... I did want new mirrors, so if I can find some that don't mount on that particular hole, it'd be great.

I was kinda disappointed today, was looking forward to testing the bike and see how it performed with the carb cleaning, adjusting the screws 2.5 turns out, the marble thing and all... but I couldn't even start the damn thing... desperately needs new spark plugs but I can't find them locally... I only found the regular ones (not iridium, not even platinum... copper?) and they're almost as expensive as the Iridium plugs are in the U.S., so I'm definitely not buying them here.

I really hope I can get the bike back on the road soon :-/
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 04:15 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceal View Post
Well, this was supposed to be a good weekend for my VN700... I managed to clean the carburetors and put them back in, I had already changed the oil, I replaced and relocated the R/R, I got a fresh battery (not AGM, but fresh), I did the marble thing for the reed valves, I changed a bunch of old dried up hoses... everything was going ok, and then I look at my front brake cylinder and there's this sight thing on it to see the level of the fluid, but it looks kinda dark, so I rub it with my finger to see if it clears up...

Well, the sight glass (plastic it seems) seemed to disintegrate!! It just broke with just rubbing it with my finger!! I was soooo pissed off... think it can be fixed or plugged or something, or am I just doomed to buy another cylinder?

85'-90' M/C sight glass "mineral glass" AKA watch crystal

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-ka...Q5fAccessories

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 AM

I'm thinking that you need the original replacement where it is a pressurized system like in a car. Maybe not as much pressure but still a vital piece of equipment. If you silicone something in place it could blow off when you hit the brake and that would suck if you are in a predicament. I would try and find a new/used brake cylinder.

Edit; I guess I should have checked Lances' link before posting. So what him said above. lol

01' VN750
Jardine cross over exaust
Kyriakin grips and foot pegs
Modified seat and backrest
Windshield
Luggage rack
Crash bar with Kyriakin pegs and extensions
Kumho 758 165/80-15 CT rear Dunlop 404 110/90-19 front
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
Spline lube

93' VN750 getting TLC
Decals and mirrors
Coastered and air/fuel screws at 2.5 turns
ACCTs to MCCTs
Degoated with Harley mufflers
Duro 110-90-19 front 150-90-15 rear
Pick-up coils at .020
Spline lube

Last edited by baldy; 09-13-2010 at 08:57 AM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

wow, thanks a LOT for that link Lance!! I couldn't find that one myself

Baldy: I don't think there's pressure in the reservoir, I only rubbed that thing and it broke, if there was any considerable pressure it would have been long gone I think lol

Here's a question... What color is the brake fluid supposed to be? This one came out green and kinda thick... maybe it wasn't even brake fluid.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Light amber.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 08:10 PM
Old Truck Junkie

You may be able to make one out of clear plactic. Be sure to test it with brake fluid to see if it will not melt. And use a light bit off silicone to seal it into place.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 PM
Boston Vulcan Rider

right i'd say get a thick piece of acrylic and cut the circle and either weld-bond, epoxy, or hard silicone it into place, or a combination of those sealing techniques. ought to be fine

Peace and open roads
-Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement