front tire wear - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

front tire wear

Can anyone shed some light ont this? The front tire on my 85 VN700 is a Dunlop Qualifier like came on it origionally. Its the 3rd one and Id prefer to stick with it as I like the white letters. Anyway the tread is like an "older" style tire with 7 tread "rows" across the width of the tire. The question is the very center row of tread is nice and smooth albeit a little worn. BUT the tread rows on either side of center have a really bad heel-toe wear pattern to the individual blocks of tread. Is there such thing as bike alignment (I don't see how!)? Is it a tire pressure problem - too high or low? The vibration is making my hands and wrists fall asleep after a while so its a little creepy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Yes there is alignment on a motorcycle. I believe the Clymer's manual even describes the home test, something about a really long piece of string...

Wheels not tracking the same line will constantly be fighting to pull away from each other (left/right). I would consider your wheel bearings as first culprit, but it could be many things, up to and including frame damage.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Send a message via MSN to Ernie
Unless something is bent, the wheel alignment should not be out at all. There is no way the rear wheel can be out on a shaft drive unlike a chain set-up. As a matter of interest, I use Continental Conti-Tours on my bike & the front one always wears in a weird "stepped" pattern at the sides. When it gets really bad I get vibration on hard cornering. At first I thought it was wheel bearings & replaced them but it made no difference. I put a new tyre on & it was fine again until it wore the same way. I just live with the problem now.

1991 BMW K1100LT

1980 Suzuki GS1000G

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 07:29 AM

Are you sure the tire condition is "cupping"? alot of things can and will contribute to this "phenominom" ~sp~ the "rib" design of the OEM tire will show cupping more so than other designs will. Unless you have a side-hack alignment is not a factor
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 08:53 AM
Search Goddess

Interesting that you mention side-hack in regards to alignment..
I can verify that if you have an alignment problem (with a sidecar attached) It can chew up a tire in about 1500 miles!

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. The bike tracks straight I think, since I can let go of the bars and I go pretty straight if the road is level. Would bad wheel bearings wobble or something if I shake the front wheel? (like a car??) I have had 3 tires on the front. #1 was replaced at 4000 mi due to old age, #2 was replaced at 11,000 and number 3 has 18,000 and needs replacement now. By any chance is 7000 or so miles the "end of the road" for oem Dunlop Qualifiers and the funky tread wear is just the tire going bad??
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-04-2006, 11:54 PM

This Link isnt abouyt Kawasaki but it will explain the "cupping" I tried to reffer to, and its cause as well as cure.
[email protected] "hacking" yea no doubt a perfectly good set of skins can me measured in hours not miles if the alighnment is out on a hacked rigged, been there done that, and used up a perfectly good checking acount trying before the cure was found...hacks are fun but get a pro to help install one.....hahahah
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-05-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks alot! The link you posted seems to be just what I was looking for. Im gonna print that out and go into the garage and see what I can determine for myself about my riding style and what corrective measures (if any) I can take. From a quick read though, it seems as if my odd wear is due to a combo of me riding style, tire tread design, air pressure etc. rather than an unknown accident or bent parts. Great help from all....thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement