Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Trouble installing new front brake pads..

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  msh1156 
#1 ·
well, I did the rear brakes and spline lube with no problems, but these front brakes are killing me!

I got the new pads on and trying to install the caliper back on to the rotor, but it seems as if there isn't enough room for the rotor to slip between the new brake pads. I've been futzing with it for about an hour now and I am at the end of my rope with it! Can anyone help me understand the secret to getting this done right?:BLAM:

#2 ·
Did you push the piston all the way back into the caliper?

#3 ·
Well, I pushed with all I could, but it doesn't appear to be moving so I presume that to mean the piston is depressed fully into the caliper.

#4 ·
it will be level with the calipar if its all the way in. you may have to crack the line to get it all the way in.

#5 ·
Well it's not flush at all..

I cracked the brake line and removed the pads, hoping to push the piston into the caliper further. Here are some pix of what I'm dealing with.

#6 ·
When you pushed did you use a clamp? On car calipers I usually use an 8 inch C clamp or a special caliper tool set that I have; (glorified C clamp). That usually brings the piston flush with the cylinder. I don't mean to imply you have not tried this, I just don't know. Hope this may help.

#7 ·
I have not worked on brakes on my Vulcan, but have changed many disc brake pads on my cars. Like Bronson, I use a big C-clamp or special tool to push the piston back in. You may need to take the master cylinder cap off and remove some brake fluid to relieve hydralic lock.

#8 ·
That was the ticket! I used a clamp and depressed the piston completely. Then I put the new pads back on and everything went smoothly. I rode it around the block and all seems well except for a sleight noise coming from what seems like the left caliper (when sitting on the bike). It's almost as if the pads are always in contact with the rotor, though it rides smoothly.

Should I be concerned? I think this sound was around with the old pads too, just not as loud. Perhaps it will pass?

#9 ·
Brake pads do tend to lightly drag on the rotor all the time, in my experience.
If you changed to a different composition material in the pads you could get more noise too.
I think semi metalic or sintered metal may be noisier.
If the leading edge of the pads are not beveled off at 45* you can get a little squeeling noise at times too.

#10 ·
If the caliper piston and cylinder are dirty and corroded it can cause the piston from working in and out freely.
I had this problem with my yammy and I had to clean both pistons and cylinders, but in my case the brakes had started to lock to where it would hold the bike back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.