Speedometer Blown? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Speedometer Blown?

I'm not sure where to put this thread, but this seems as good as any place I suppose. So, finally a few nice days strung together to get some good riding in. I'm on the way into work today, a 30 mile commute that's mostly interstate, and traveling at about 80 - 85 mph (indicated) when all of a sudden the speedo drops to zero. Rats. So I get to work, park, and take a look...the nut that holds the cable to the speedo housing at the hub is loose. Hm. So I tighten her back up, hop on the bike...no speedo.... So, I unthread the cable from the housing, the cable has the notched end, and it seems intact, but there seems to be quite a bit of grease on it, more than I remember from when I pulled the front wheel to replace the fork dust seals 2 months ago. Still, I monkey with the cable, but honestly don't know what to look for. I thread the cable back onto the housing notching and tighten the nut, but the speedometer doesn't work. I'm at work, so I don't have Clymer's and I have limited tools, but what is the likely culprit here? The speed housing on the hub is really snug in place, I thought I remembered it having a little play in it previously, but I could be wrong on that I guess. How do I troubleshoot this? Is it likely the cable, the speedomemter housing/gearing itself? I don't think it's the cluster gauge, but it could be. I appreciate any help you can provide!

1992 Vulcan 750
(Brother-in-law's bike, but am caretaker while deployed)
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 06:52 AM
Old Truck Junkie

The cable may be broken. If you did not get the hub back in the right position it can put a bind on the cable an eventually break it. The speedo assembly at the wheel has a notch to line it up. The tire man caused mine to break for that very reason. You can still ride use your tach for aprocimate speed.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm, niterider, I'm afraid that might just be the case, but I thought I was pretty sure to line those up right...I've put about 300 miles on since, but that kinda lines up with what you're saying. Is there any way to check the cable without just replacing it?

I just went out on a quick break and pulled the cable from the lower housing and noticed two things:

1.) With gentle pressure I can pull the cable out of the sheathing...too easily it seems. Is this normal or does this confirm a snapped cable?

2.) The cable is well greased, but when I pulled on it, I noticed some water dripped out of the sheating/cable interface. I think this means water is getting trapped up in the gauge. Does that mean anything?

1992 Vulcan 750
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)

Last edited by hoff02; 05-21-2010 at 08:06 AM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Undercover Sportbiker

The easiest way to check for broken cable is to disconnect it at both ends and spin one end. If the other side does not spin, your cable is broken.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 11:53 AM

Or just unscrew it from your speedo and roll the bike a few feet in neutral. You should see the cable end spin as you roll the bike.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Great tips from all, thank you! I ended just throwing the bike on the center stand and then lightly jacking the frame up to get the front wheel up. Disconnected the speedometer gauge end first....spun the wheel and the cable didn't spin. Removed the bottom end and spun the cable by hand...no movement. Just to be sure, I yanked on the one end of the cable, and sure enough 6 inches slid out...sheered off. Hey, cheapest possible fix out of the options. While it was jacked up, I got down and spun the wheel to make sure the housing gears are in working order. Good to go...just ordered a cable from the local dealership. Always something it seems....

1992 Vulcan 750
V&H Cruzers
K&N Filters
Re-Jetted (40, 135)
Marbled
Rebuilt ACCTs (TOC kit)

1984 VF700 Magna
(Wife's Bike)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 06:19 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalding View Post
Or just unscrew it from your speedo and roll the bike a few feet in neutral. You should see the cable end spin as you roll the bike.
LOL! Yeah, but why not make it uber-complicated...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement