90 Degree Tire Stem Valves - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to cglennon
90 Degree Tire Stem Valves

Just got my new Metzelers mounted yesterday along with new metal valve stems; a 90 degree for the back and short straight for the front. Sweet! No more bending the rear tire stem to check the pressure or add air.

I didn't really didn't notice until I got home that the rear tire 90 degree valve was facing left (i.e., toward the side stand). Not a big deal for me, since I usually check the tire pressure and add air while on the center stand, but it would seem that facing the 90 degree valve stem to the right would allow for easy access when the bike is on the side stand.

I did a bit of Googling and lots of other folks, who have had a shop mount the valve, have had the same experience. Left mounting is required for some bikes to avoid contact with mechanics/body (i.e., left mounting on Honda Goldwing to avoid brake calibers on right), but I see no such reason on the VN750.

Is left mounting of a 90 degree valve stem some kind of tire industry standard, required by the makers of mounting/balancing equipment or some other logical reason?

Chris Glennon - Portland, OR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Thumbs up Real Nice

That looks really nice. I can't help to wonder that I think I have seen 90 degree stems extenders that fit on the standard valves that you just screw on and leave there. That would not require removing the tire to install. Did you look into that as it seems you did some research? No matter what it looks great and I can imagine that it's much easier checking the pressure.

Gemguy

2003 Wine/Gray VN750 bought in 2005 w/2000 Miles
LED Tail/Brakelight & License Plate Light;Chrome Inspection Sticker Plate ;Battery Charging Quick Plug;Kuryakyn LED Battery Voltmeter;Throttle Rocker Palm Rest;Optronics Driving Lamps;KnifeMaker Floor Boards;Halogen Headlamp Bulb;OEM Engine Guard;Iridium Spark Plugs;OEM Luggage rack;Stebel Air Horn;Handlebar Clock; Handlebar Thermometer; Sealed Battery; Marbled; Leather Grip Covers; Rectangular Mirrors

~VROC~ # 389
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemguy View Post
That looks really nice. I can't help to wonder that I think I have seen 90 degree stems extenders that fit on the standard valves that you just screw on and leave there. That would not require removing the tire to install.
I did look into the extenders. However, those 90 degree screw on valve extenders are not meant to be left on the tire during operation. Apparently, the added weight of the extender and centrifugal forces place excess pressure on the stem (assuming rubber stems here), causing them to fail. Also, the new valves were less than $2/piece, so it seemed like the way to go.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by cglennon View Post
I did look into the extenders. However, those 90 degree screw on valve extenders are not meant to be left on the tire during operation. Apparently, the added weight of the extender and centrifugal forces place excess pressure on the stem (assuming rubber stems here), causing them to fail. Also, the new valves were less than $2/piece, so it seemed like the way to go.
Could you put a link in here to where you found them?
I have seen similar threads and some links, but they were $15 to $20 apiece.

I think I paid more than $2 apiece for rubber stems the last time I put new tires on the car.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
Could you put a link in here to where you found them?
I have seen similar threads and some links, but they were $15 to $20 apiece.

I think I paid more than $2 apiece for rubber stems the last time I put new tires on the car.
Why pay $2 for rubber stems that need to be replaced along with the tires. Metal ones can be reused over and over (and they look better). I purchased mine from Jake Wilson.

http://www.jakewilson.com/typeDetail...72&webCatId=38 Look for a Jake Wilson or Rocky Mountain ATV (same company) 10% off discount code on www.RetailMeNot.com or other coupon site.

If I had it to do over, I may have chosen the 45 degree valve stem model they offer, instead of the 90 degree. I think that the 45 degree would give a little better access. Also, I purchased my Metzeler tires from Jake Wilson. Total for two tires and to metal stems was $200, same day shipping and I received them in 3 days! Best price I could find anywhere.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 03:24 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote - "Why pay $2 for rubber stems that need to be replaced along with the tires. Metal ones can be reused over and over (and they look better)." - End quote

Sorry for not being clearer in my post. That is exactly the point I was trying to make. Thanks for the link. Shipping and handling will probably be more than the stems!

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 05:24 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Why pay $2 for rubber stems that need to be replaced along with the tires. Metal ones can be reused over and over (and they look better). I purchased mine from Jake Wilson.

http://www.jakewilson.com/typeDetail...72&webCatId=38 Look for a Jake Wilson or Rocky Mountain ATV (same company) 10% off discount code on www.RetailMeNot.com or other coupon site.

If I had it to do over, I may have chosen the 45 degree valve stem model they offer, instead of the 90 degree. I think that the 45 degree would give a little better access. Also, I purchased my Metzeler tires from Jake Wilson. Total for two tires and to metal stems was $200, same day shipping and I received them in 3 days! Best price I could find anywhere.
I think you are saying you would have changed only the rear wheel 90* stem to a 45*, and leave the short front valve stem as is. Is that right?

Gordon

Purchased May 16, 2008

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Kury Offset Hiway pegs

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 11:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlHossCanada View Post
I think you are saying you would have changed only the rear wheel 90* stem to a 45*, and leave the short front valve stem as is. Is that right?

Sorry, you are correct in your assumption. The short metal one installed on the front tire looks GREAT and there is no problem accessing for checking the tire pressure or adding air. Don't get me wrong. I am also very happy with the rear 90 degree tire valve, because it means no more bending the old OEM rubber tire valve to check the air pressure or add air, and it too looks GREAT. However, I think a 45 degree tire valve installed on the rear tire might offer just a bit more convenience.

Also, to avoid the shipping charges, wait until you need new tires and then order them from Jake Wilson (best prices I could find, lots of 10% discount coupons and free shipping) along with the metal stem valves.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I didn't really didn't notice until I got home that the rear tire 90 degree valve was facing left (i.e., toward the side stand). Not a big deal for me, since I usually check the tire pressure and add air while on the center stand, but it would seem that facing the 90 degree valve stem to the right would allow for easy access when the bike is on the side stand.
The shop guy should know to mount the 90 deg. stem pointing right! To reorient the stem to the right, just rotate it CLOCKWISE and it will slip on the rubber bushing; if you rotate counterclockwise, the stem body is likely to loosen in the threaded retaining collar on the back side of the rim.

Darrel
'03 Vulcan 750 (90k miles)
-Corbin Seat
-V-Force Windshield
-LeatherLyke Touring Bags
-Chrome Luggage Rack
-Headlight Modulator
-Brakelight Flasher
-MF Battery
-Heads-Up Voltage Monitor
-Replaced Stator (9,000 and 16,000 mi.)
-Oil-cooled Stator Mod (photos)
-Replaced and Relocated R/R
-Greased rear splines
-Fused Stator (photos)
-Metzeler ME880 Marathon 170/80-15 (Rear), 110/90-19 (Front)
-TOC MCCTs installed
-Headlight Relays
SOLD - 2013
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 10:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrelc5 View Post
The shop guy should know to mount the 90 deg. stem pointing right! To reorient the stem to the right, just rotate it CLOCKWISE and it will slip on the rubber bushing; if you rotate counterclockwise, the stem body is likely to loosen in the threaded retaining collar on the back side of the rim.
I tried to spin it, but it won't budge. Again, not a problem since I usually check the pressure while the bike is on the center stand.

Also, I think you have answered my original question. There appears to be no technical reason for mounting a 90 degree tire stem valve to the left. So, I need to specify which side of the bike I want it pointed when having a technician mount it. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement