Removing aluminum wheel corrosion on my '99 - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
Yearround Rider

Removing aluminum wheel corrosion on my '99

Are there recos for a good way to remove wheel rim corrosion? I just saw an ad for "Aluminator". From the "A..." site:

". . .
Aluminator cleans and brightens unfinished aluminum* without heavy buffing or polishing. Use it as part of your regular maintenance schedule to prevent the buildup of surface corrosion and keep aluminum parts looking new. Aluminator is a mild surface etching acid solution designed to reduce the need for tedious hand buffing. Spray on an even coat of Aluminator and when the part is clean, simply rinse with clear water to stop the etching process. Used alone, or as a pre-treatment for more detailed polishing, Aluminator is perfect for removing road film, diesel smoke, watermarks, brake dust, and oxidation from any unprotected aluminum surface. Also works great on tires / whitewalls!
. . ..
This product is a buffered "safe" acid based aluminum brightener, designed for clean, unfinished (bare) aluminum. Not all aluminums are the same. Many things are manufactured with different alloys and even coatings mixed into the aluminum which, in effect, can block Aluminator.
. . ..
Aluminator is not a "cleaner", it is formulated for etching aluminum surfaces and removing oxidation, road film, scum, diesel smoke, and water marks. The quick penetration and etching action reduces the need to rub, buff or agitate the surface being brightened."

A web search turned up a few comments and "anodized" as a factor was mentioned. ???

Also "Mothers Aluminum polish."

I'd prefer a no-buffing solution (no power tools available)-- have tried a couple of metal polishes to no avail.

(PS -- this list has been of immense help in the past re thermostat and front pads replacement.)

Bill S. / DC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 03:21 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Welcome back schooner. I seems you must spend all your spare time riding the Vulcan, not so much on the computer eh? <G> I`m glad we were able to help with past projects and service.

I don`t know anything about this "Aluminator" brightener, but it sound like it may clean the corrosion off your wheels with a minimum of applied elbow grease. I would be very careful to keep it off any painted surfaces. If I were using this product I would do it when the rear wheel was off for service anyway, to keep splashes away from any other bike parts.

Here is a link to CaptHab and his polished aluminum lower fork sliders, using 400 and 1,000 grit sandpaper along with Mothers polish. Towards the end of the thread in post #15 denny mentions using Krylon Crystal Clear Enamel in a spray can to seal the aluminum after you clean it. It might work for you to stop or slow future corrosion, once you get the wheels cleaned off.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10422

Anodized aluminum has a hard oxidized finish. Here is a short explanation that I found:

Many metals are structurally weakened by the oxidation process, but not aluminum. Aluminum can actually be made stronger and more durable through a process called 'anodizing'. Anodizing involves placing a sheet of aluminum into a chemical acid bath, quite often acetone in laboratory experiments. The sheet of aluminum becomes the positive anode of a chemical battery and the acid bath becomes the negative. An electric current passes through the acid, causing the surface of the aluminum to oxidize (essentially rust). The oxidized aluminum forms a strong coating as it replaces the original aluminum on the surface. The result is an extremely hard substance called anodized aluminum.

Anodized aluminum can be nearly as hard as diamond under the right anodizing process. Many modern buildings use anodized aluminum in places where the metal framework is exposed to the elements.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
Yearround Rider

Hello Gordon. Appreciate your thoughts. Bummer the note at the bottom re broken leg. Here's bests for the healing.

Bill S./ DC

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:20 AM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
our wheels are actually clearcoated aluminum form kawasaki i at one time looked into painting or powdercoating my wheels to match the bike i was told bt several shops i would have to mediablast the coating off the wheels before they could touch them. after finding this out i used a muratic acid based wheel cleaner (professional detail shop only from what i was told) and then flitz poilsh and buffball mounted in a drill (yes the stuff they advertize at 2 in the morning drinking and watching latenight tv is bad) but this stuff actually worked. i buy it by the 2 pound can now it is also amazing on oxidized plastic headlamps on your cage took a bit of rubbing though.

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:02 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcanjoe View Post
our wheels are actually clearcoated aluminum form kawasaki i at one time looked into painting or powdercoating my wheels to match the bike i was told bt several shops i would have to mediablast the coating off the wheels before they could touch them. after finding this out i used a muratic acid based wheel cleaner (professional detail shop only from what i was told) and then flitz poilsh and buffball mounted in a drill (yes the stuff they advertize at 2 in the morning drinking and watching latenight tv is bad) but this stuff actually worked. i buy it by the 2 pound can now it is also amazing on oxidized plastic headlamps on your cage took a bit of rubbing though.
Het vj, are you buying the muratic acid or flitz polish by the #2 can?

And I presume it is the flitz, not the acid you use on the oxidized plastic headlight lenses.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9127
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:58 PM
MANIC MECHANIC

Send a message via MSN to vulcanjoe Send a message via Yahoo to vulcanjoe
flitz on headlights 14:1 muratic acid on coated wheels if you put it on a polished wheel it will start to pit instantly

34k so far
VN750.com member #613
Keep the shiny side up
coastered
de-goat and baffles removed
jetted 42-150 2 shims
Earshaved with unifilters
inside of tank coated
spline lube
long Beach Blue Pearl Paint 4/07
Shindengen FH012AA r/r
TPE stator
Exide sc30lfa Battery 28ah 445cca
Saddlemen saddlebags
2001 HD fatboy solo seat
Custom taillight & rear turn signals
Fergy's coil relay mod
Fiamm El-Grande high/low tone horns
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
ExNewbie..Still Learnin'!

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post
I'd prefer a no-buffing solution (no power tools available)-- have tried a couple of metal polishes to no avail.

(PS -- this list has been of immense help in the past re thermostat and front pads replacement.)

Bill S. / DC
Bill - Not the easiest way (lots of elbow grease) but works very well and inexpensive with no chemicals to worry about. Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Takes some time but does not hurt the finish and cleans up the aluminum nicely. Definitely a rainy day project or an multi-evening "watchin' the tube, havin' a beer" project.

Anyone else have an easier, "spray on, rinse off" solution?

'89 Vulcan 750

VROC# 30232

HID Headlamp Conversion
V&H Cruzers (great sound)
Kaw V-Force Windshield
Kaw Rear Luggage Rack
Kaw Engine Guard
VN750.COM Grill Cover
W&M Black Magic Saddlebags
Diehard M/F Battery
R/R Replaced/Relocated
Stator Replaced
Voltmeter Installed
Splines Lubed
Metzler 880 Marathons
Front - 110/90-19
Rear - 170/80-15
Carbs Balanced
Carb Mix Adjusted
Fuel Tank Derusted/Lined/Sealed
NGK Iridium Plugs
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:01 AM

aluminum cleaner

most truck stops use stuff called alum -brite its a mild acid for the wheels and stuff ! ive used it many times and had good luck with it! but you will have to delute it for different types of aluminum
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 08:59 AM

This is my favorite product to clean up aluminum:

link

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
X2 DT... I use that stuff in the trucking world to clean up aluminum fuel and air tanks... works like a charm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement