Feeling the bike shake at highway speeds - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Feeling the bike shake at highway speeds

When hitting highway speeds, I feel the bike starting to shake/wiggle. It appears to be in the handlebars. If I add weight to the driver's footrests and muscle the handle bars, the wiggle is reduced but I can still feel it. Afraid to ride the bike now.

Only thing that was done to the bike recently was the back tire was replaced because of a nail. But I felt the wiggle prior to the tire replacement. I do have a smaller windshield that looks like the spitfire one that originally came with the bike. I can take off the windshield and see if that's the cause.

Any ideas what I can check? Thanks!

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 01:49 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavisimo View Post
When hitting highway speeds, I feel the bike starting to shake/wiggle. It appears to be in the handlebars. If I add weight to the driver's footrests and muscle the handle bars, the wiggle is reduced but I can still feel it. Afraid to ride the bike now.

Only thing that was done to the bike recently was the back tire was replaced because of a nail. But I felt the wiggle prior to the tire replacement. I do have a smaller windshield that looks like the spitfire one that originally came with the bike. I can take off the windshield and see if that's the cause.

Any ideas what I can check? Thanks!
Check the steering head bearings and swingarm bearings and are you carrying any thing that can shake around on the rear of the bike are you?I had a tour pack (trunk) get loosened up on a Voyager and it started shaking and the next thing I knew I almost went down to a major wobble,Some things to check ,I am sure there will be more forth coming from others.You are right to be concerned.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denny6006 View Post
Check the steering head bearings and swingarm bearings and are you carrying any thing that can shake around on the rear of the bike are you?I had a tour pack (trunk) get loosened up on a Voyager and it started shaking and the next thing I knew I almost went down to a major wobble,Some things to check ,I am sure there will be more forth coming from others.You are right to be concerned.
Nothing on the bike that's wobbly except for myself. I even took off the saddlebags thinking it might have been the wind catching them but still go the wobble. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to research where those bearings are located and check them out.

VROC Number: 31246
2003 Kawasaki VN750 SOLD
2006 Honda VTX1800C

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:00 PM
Linkmeister Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavisimo View Post
Nothing on the bike that's wobbly except for myself. I even took off the saddlebags thinking it might have been the wind catching them but still go the wobble. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll have to research where those bearings are located and check them out.
The head bearings are located at the front of the frame where the forks are attached and rotate. A simple way to check for looseness and/or wear in the bearings is to put the bike on the center stand and get someone to sit on the back seat to hold the front wheel off the ground. Then you can grasp the fork tubes near the front wheel axle with both hands and pull towards toward the front. If you feel any movement back and forth, it probably needs adjustment. Also check rotation of the forks for any looseness or roughness in the bearings. If you find any, you probably need to dismantle it, clean and inspect for wear or damage.

Check for any cracks in frame welds around the head too.

The swingarm bearings are located under the shiny chrome caps just in front of the rear foot pegs. I do not know how much looseness or movement you might be able to detect by holding onto the frame with one hand, while pushing the swingarm from side to side with the other, while the bike is on the center stand with the rear wheel in the air. If you do feel any movement, it does need further inspection and adjustment.

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 04-23-2010 at 05:15 PM.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:13 PM

Make sure your tires are inflated properly.

Then do all the Ole Hoss checks.

If your highway is grooved, there will be some shaking. Adding progressive springs to my forks reduced all kinds of front end shake.

Scheherazade
'86 VN750
MF Battery, Iridium Plugs, RR relocated, Voltmeter, 170/80/15 Kenda Kruz rear tire, DIY Samsonite hard bags, DIY shaved seat with Beaded seat pad ('cause that's how I roll) and the dreaded STATOR CHANGE.

Shining Black Bess '86 VN750, retired for parts after a fried stator and being knocked (kee-runch) in her parking spot.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Garage
get a buddy to help you on this. Stand the bike upright while on it put your weight on your feet and hold it up off the bike.Now while one of you is watching the joints at the swingarm bearing and shock mounts, rear axle , and every thing that moves and whoever is on the bike shake the life out of the handler bars like you are checking for play and see if you can spot something loose or making any weird squeaks or pops or movement that shouldn't be there, something might show itself.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:08 PM

New or old tire on the front? Could be an out of balance front tire, or even rear, or both. I know you said you felt it before the rear tire replacement, but it could be that they didn't quite get it balanced right, or a combo of the front and rear. Any wobble at slower speeds? Usually an out of balance tire will show it's problems at a certain speed.

Fergy
Kyle, TX VN750.com member #707 VROC#19556
2002 VN1500 Classic
Spline Lube Procedure, with photos, R/R Relocation and Coil Mod
Rusty Tank Cleaning!
Electrical Fault Finding Flowchart
SEAFOAM JUNKIE!

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 01:04 AM
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fergy View Post
New or old tire on the front? Could be an out of balance front tire, or even rear, or both. I know you said you felt it before the rear tire replacement, but it could be that they didn't quite get it balanced right, or a combo of the front and rear. Any wobble at slower speeds? Usually an out of balance tire will show it's problems at a certain speed.
X2 Check the tire first. See if the balance weight is missing. Put it on the center stand, weight the rear, and just spin it and watch it from several angles. Mark the bottom of the tire, spin it and see if it stops with the mark on the bottom again.
It may well be the fork or something sophiscated, but the tire is a very likely suspect.

If it is a balance issue, consider ceramic beads in lieu of weights.

Jim
'95 Kawasaki Concours

Sold my Vulcan

I do LOTS of dumb stuff. Riding is only one of them.

Last edited by jimkonst; 04-23-2010 at 11:06 AM.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkonst View Post
If it is a balance issue, consider ceramic beads in lieu of weights.
Or Ride On. Balances the tire AND seals punctures up to 1/4". However, unlike the beads, can't be reused in a replacement tire.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:01 AM

XXX3 on the tires. Same with the bearings in the forks. Also check the axle bolts. Anything loose there will let the tires rock and give you the shakes.

"The Mistress".
1985 VN700A1

MODS:
New stator
My version of the Marbleing
New paint and trim
New oversized front tire
Degoated
Iridium Plugs
New grip and lever covers
New(er) Ignition switch

Waiting on:
A good ride

As always:
Wanting attention at all times.

Why should I act my age, I am an ADULT!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement