170/80/15 tire clearance issue? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Heading to the DARKSIDE!

170/80/15 tire clearance issue?

Hey folks. When I go to replace my rear tire(Shinko Tour Master 230 150/90/15) I am thinking of upgrading the size to a 170/80/15 which alot of you have with success. My issue is that my bike has progressive 2" lowering springs on the rear. I wonder if this will present a problem with fender clearance? Let me know if you have any info. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:40 AM

I run Shinkos too so let us know if it fits.

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:45 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Unfortunately I don't know, but I don't understand why people want such huge tires. I would rather have an 18" rear wheel, with a skinnier tire. That's one thing I like about the Mean Streak, is the large diameter rear wheel. Maybe I've just seen to many of these boutique choppers with the 300 series rear tires, but I'm just burned out on the fat tire look. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Old Truck Junkie

I run the big tire and the bike is lowered. I have no problems.

02 honda sabre 1100
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Search Goddess

Well Jerry, they don't look like huge tires for one thing, but the difference is noticeable when you have two bikes side by side. The larger tire will reduce RPMs slightly, something our bikes like to use more of, making us wish for that additional gear. Lower rpms mean higher mpg. Simple process to figure out. So no, the 170/80/15 does NOT make my rear look fat!

The biggest difference is in width, not height, and the swingarm area is the concern and limitation
Comparing a 150/90/15
Gives you
Sidewall Height: 5.31
Section Width: 5.91
Tire Height (Diameter): 25.63
Revs per mile: 811.55

A 170/80/15
Gives you
Sidewall Height: 5.35
Section Width: 6.69
Tire Height (Diameter): 25.71
Revs per mile: 809.02

I don't believe the .08" in Tire height will make a difference. If it does, you might want to add a bit more to your rear shocks *L*

If you want to compare tire sizes, this is what I used
http://www.barretire.com/calculator.htm

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2010, 11:30 AM

It's all about the look and feel and making it your bike the way you want it. What about load capacity and tire wear? Is is possible to get slightly more usable miles out of a wider tire? How about safety? any added benefits under adverse conditions?

DT

95 VN750 (eBay)31k+
GL1100 front fender
OEM engine guard
OEM high back rest
'V-Twin' HWY pegs
Black 750 Spectre handlebars
SunPro Volt Meter (Amazon)
Maier bug shield (JCW)
Bar Ends anti-vibe (JCW)
Emgo air filters
Tank bag-Eclipse
Tail bag-FroZone Cooler
Back Rest-Igloo 6 pak cooler
WalMart Saddle Bags
R/R Relocate
Dry Splines Lubed
AGM DieHard-Sears
Gutted Goat
Sporster XL Mufflers
LED's-stop,tail,turn,marker
Pickup coil mod to .45mm
Silverstar headlight
Rotella T6
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 AM

The fat rear tire was mostly a Japanese thing. While the Japanese have tried to copy Harley with most of their cruisers, Harleys never used fat rear tires. For one thing, they wouldn't fit with the Harley belt drive system. Harleys still use relatively skinny rear tires compared to Japanese cruisers. Victory has designed a belt drive system and swing arm that allows the use of oversize rear tires, and Harley clone builders mostly just made the primary wider to accomplish the same thing. I like the larger diameter wheels and smaller rear tires used on older bikes. Then when the Kawasaki Mean Streak came out, I thought it looked so much better than the 1500 Classic, and the 18" rear wheel had a lot to do with it. I have also seen Classics modified with an 18" rear wheel, and thought they looked much better as well. Unfortunately (for me) there is no way to modify the Vulcan 750, because of the cast wheel.

I actually love the way the Vulcan 750 looks (and works) but some things I like better than others. Many do not like the "ears". To me, that small diameter rear wheel with the huge rear tire is one of the least attractive parts of the bike. Just personal opinion. Fat rear tires seem to be all the rage these days. Jerry.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Search Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
The fat rear tire was mostly a Japanese thing. While the Japanese have tried to copy Harley with most of their cruisers, Harleys never used fat rear tires. For one thing, they wouldn't fit with the Harley belt drive system. Harleys still use relatively skinny rear tires compared to Japanese cruisers. Victory has designed a belt drive system and swing arm that allows the use of oversize rear tires, and Harley clone builders mostly just made the primary wider to accomplish the same thing. I like the larger diameter wheels and smaller rear tires used on older bikes. Then when the Kawasaki Mean Streak came out, I thought it looked so much better than the 1500 Classic, and the 18" rear wheel had a lot to do with it. I have also seen Classics modified with an 18" rear wheel, and thought they looked much better as well. Unfortunately (for me) there is no way to modify the Vulcan 750, because of the cast wheel.

I actually love the way the Vulcan 750 looks (and works) but some things I like better than others. Many do not like the "ears". To me, that small diameter rear wheel with the huge rear tire is one of the least attractive parts of the bike. Just personal opinion. Fat rear tires seem to be all the rage these days. Jerry.
Ok, now I am totally confused since we have had several Harleys in our garage too, and I couldn't think of one that didn't have a smaller fatter rear tire. (See ref for example: http://www.compacc.com/c/Tires_Harley.cfm )
And I can go back to some of the panheads, shovelheads, etc..
Now if you want a bike that uses the same tire on all wheels, well Ural is a good one for that. The spare that is carried with the hack rig is a spare for any wheel.. I believe BMW has/had the same principle on some of their models

Dianna
Conway, AR
Patriot Guard Rider
2000 VN750 Sere (Serendipity)
1990 GL1500 (Ole Blue)
1986 VN750 EVie (project bike, heavy custom)
VROC # 11628 / 25000-H
ARVROC # 12 Coordinator and Crowd Control
OKVROC # 18 (H)
TNVROC # 45 (H)
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2010, 09:45 AM

I have just noticed over the years that stock Harleys use a larger diameter rear wheel, with a skinnier rear tire than most Japanese cruisers do, and even read an article about it in a motorcycle magazine several years ago. It's not a big deal, but I'll look into it further later when I get time. But the Vulcan does have a really big rear tire (not including those super huge tires on custom choppers), with a very wide sidewall. It almost looks like a car tire/wheel from the side. Well, that is before everybody started using 20" wheels and rubber band tires on cars. Jerry.

2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
Sponsored Links
Advertisement