What the fork is this? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 03:48 AM Thread Starter

What the fork is this?

Just got my very own VN yeaterday (finally!!)
I don't have a shop manual yet sooooo I got a question about the forks.
This bike has the fork tubes slid up about 1 1/2" above the top clamp. Although I have done this on several bikes in the past I have never seen a stock bike like this. Should they be flush with the top clamp?
I also saw a thumb screw type cap on the forks legs. I took on off just to see what was in there and was shocked to nothing but a bolt for the cap!!!
What the hell is this?? How do you take the forks apart or at least change oil in them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:52 AM
Sparky!!!

Garage
you can download the Kawasaki Service Manual for free HERE (be warned it is a large file and might take some time to DL if you are using Dial up... but well worth it...)

The forks you describe (without seeing pictures) sound like the air ride forks. and Yes they should be flush...but the rear might have been dropped... do you have a bracket similar to this:
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 11:10 AM
On His Lady Vulcan

As Slim stated it should be flush, your PO lowered it is all,easy adjustment as youre well aware of I'm sure.

"You came out of your mom looking like SHlT. She thought you were beautiful. Don't know what scared me most, your looks or her judgment."

Pictures of the "Ladies"

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Old Fart

Garage

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 04:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

i lowered my rear, (11" progressive shocks) didnot change the forks. should the forks changed (lowered also)?

Jeff Brooks
Owensboro KY
'94 Vulcan 750

http://youtube.com/user/cm4cm5
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 07:49 PM
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cm4cm5 View Post
i lowered my rear, (11" progressive shocks) didnot change the forks. should the forks changed (lowered also)?
no, your forks can stay where they are at... you can lower the back with out lowering the front... but you can't lower the front with out lowering the rear... If you lower the front without lowering the rear it makes the bike very very unstable. Lowering the rear does change the steering geometry but not so much (as long as we are only talking an inch or two) as to cause drastic trail issues.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 04:12 AM Thread Starter

No air forks. Just a rather cheap but ok plastic cap on a treaded bolt on the top of the fork tube.
I'm going to set them flush with the fork head.
I always set up my Flattrack bikes so the frame is level with the ground and this thing kinda slopes down in front a bit.
Dropping the front end doesn't make the bike handle bad (depending how much you drop it) it just makes it handle "quicker" which can be good in some cases.
Dropping the rear will make the bike handle slower making it not want to make sharp turns without effort, so to the guy that only lowered the back and not the front he may want to drop the front end a bit for better handling in the twisties.
All in all, I like the VN so far. I don't think I've ridin it more the 10 miles cause you guys have me so paraniod that I have been working for three days de-goating......drilling mufflers......installing a voltmeter etc.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
no, your forks can stay where they are at... you can lower the back with out lowering the front... but you can't lower the front with out lowering the rear... If you lower the front without lowering the rear it makes the bike very very unstable. Lowering the rear does change the steering geometry but not so much (as long as we are only talking an inch or two) as to cause drastic trail issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by honest Al View Post
No air forks. Just a rather cheap but ok plastic cap on a treaded bolt on the top of the fork tube.
I'm going to set them flush with the fork head.
I always set up my Flattrack bikes so the frame is level with the ground and this thing kinda slopes down in front a bit.
Dropping the front end doesn't make the bike handle bad (depending how much you drop it) it just makes it handle "quicker" which can be good in some cases.
Dropping the rear will make the bike handle slower making it not want to make sharp turns without effort, so to the guy that only lowered the back and not the front he may want to drop the front end a bit for better handling in the twisties.
All in all, I like the VN so far. I don't think I've ridin it more the 10 miles cause you guys have me so paraniod that I have been working for three days de-goating......drilling mufflers......installing a voltmeter etc.
I wish somebody had told me about 4 bikes ago not to lower the front only,because that is the only way I could get them to handle the way I want them to turn in quickly and flick from side to side easily which is the effect that lowering the front has on handling,notice sportbikes have short forks and are high in the rear it helps to plant the front tire as well.
As in about everything else in life this is a compromise because you give up straight line stability and when taken to the extremes that sportbikes take the stance they add steering dampeneres and try to hold the head shaking or the death wobbles to a minimum.while all bikes are built for Joe Average there is usually some adjustability built in to most ,that if you know the rules and don't get in over your abilities,we should have no problems.

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:59 PM

Lowering the front only is dangerous. It decreases the rake and trail, which has a negative affect on stability. Sportbikes push the limit on rake and trail, which is what makes them handle so well (in the hands of a skilled and experienced sportbike rider), but they are very twitchy and unstable, which makes them unsuitable for inexperienced riders IMO. Also, Sportbikes have a far more sophisticated chassis and suspension, and a completely different riding position. A lot more attention is paid to their center of gravity and front/rear weight bias. Their frames are a lot stiffer and stronger.

Again, IMO, lowering just the front of a Vulcan 750 is just asking for it. I would not lower either end or both, because it decreases ground clearance, and the feeler things on my pegs are already ground off from dragging the pegs. A stock Vulcan 750 has enough ground clearance, considering what it is, but it doesn't have any to spare. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:45 PM

Garage
I live and ride in eastern KY which a lot of the members on her can attest to is in the heart of the Appalachian mountains,I am no greenhorn and this not my first ride around the block,I have owned and ridden dual sports (back when we called them enduros,have had several bikes down to the frame and back to riding condition I have owened. MX bikes Standard street bikes full dress Harley's cb750 sohc hondas.Twq different rigid frame Harleys {One pan and one Knuckle)The dresser was a1972shovelhead,the firs cafe racers were built on stock frames ,which you pointed out led to stronger frames for the sport bikes of today,back up 15 years and look at the sport bike frame of the day and compare them to todays sportbike,big difference wouldn't you say,My number one riding bud and he's a 30 year bike veteran too rides a 2006CBRR 1000 RR and he doesn't have to wait on me in the twisties and he shows me no pity .I went with the bigger tiresand with thehuge amount of trail built into the vn's front end with it's leading axle, to say that dropping the front end 3/4 to 7/8 " is dangerous is just causing un justified fear in a young bikers mind.personally I ain't scared to lean mine over unless I have young riders with me who are on fast bikes and tend to overrun curves rather than lean it over and drive on through

If you see it on my bike I did it
VROC#30324
92 vn750(sold)
Current ride 05 1500 Classic FI
lovin' the new scoot

Quote:
"When all is said and done,usually more is said than done" UNK
Click on one x and drag to the other to read between them.

Psalm 40:1...
XI waited patiently for the Lord; and he turned unto me, and heard my cry. X
Sponsored Links
Advertisement