Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Pads and Shoes

where is the best place to get new pads, rotors, and shoes... I want the best "bang" for the buck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 02:25 AM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Do you really need rotors? How many miles do you have, and whats wrong with the rotors? Rotors are mucho expensive, as in $300+ APIECE. Used is the only way to go, if you really need them. A few minor grooves do not make the rotors unusable, the new pads will quickly "wear in" and conform to any irregularities in the rotors. I put 80,000+ miles on a Vulcan 750, it still had it's original rotors, in great shape, and I had just recently replaced the original rear shoes, at 70,000+, before trading it in. I check the rear shoes on my current bike when I do a spline lube, about every 10,000 miles, and so far, at 43,000 miles, they show no appreciable wear. I have replaced the front pads 3 times, and use the cheap EBC organic pads (non metallic) from denniskirk.com. Don't get the metallic or semi metallic pads. The Vulcan's rotors weren't designed for them, it won't stop as well, and while the pads last longer, they wear down the rotors. Jerry.

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:57 AM
The Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimvulcanrider View Post
where is the best place to get new pads, rotors, and shoes... I want the best "bang" for the buck.
The EBC HH Sintered pads and shoes are the are the BEST you can buy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...d=370222685570

85 VN700 "Old Yella"

REBUILT ENGINE
CUSTOM PAINT
VANCE & HINES CRUZERS
EAR SHAVED AND RE-JETTED W/K&N'S
DUNLOP ELITE K591 FRONT & REAR
VOLTMETER
SYNTHETIC BRAKE FLUID
SYNTHETIC OIL & GEAR LUBE
PLEXISTAR 2 WINDSHIELD
SPLINES LUBED
ACCT'S GREASED W/TOC SPRINGS
COASTERD
LEATHER SADDLE BAGS
LEATHER TOOL AND ROLL BAG
PICKUP COILS GAPPED AT .018"
NGK CAP, WIRES, IRIDUMS
BARNETT FRICTION PLATES & SPRINGS
CUSTOM GRIPS, MIRRORS, LEVERS
ORIGINAL STATOR & R/R 14.5v
DEKA MF AGM ETX15L

Best Auto/Moto Insurance | Motorcycle Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by VN750Rider/Jerry View Post
Do you really need rotors? How many miles do you have, and whats wrong with the rotors? Rotors are mucho expensive, as in $300+ APIECE. Used is the only way to go, if you really need them. A few minor grooves do not make the rotors unusable, the new pads will quickly "wear in" and conform to any irregularities in the rotors. I put 80,000+ miles on a Vulcan 750, it still had it's original rotors, in great shape, and I had just recently replaced the original rear shoes, at 70,000+, before trading it in. I check the rear shoes on my current bike when I do a spline lube, about every 10,000 miles, and so far, at 43,000 miles, they show no appreciable wear. I have replaced the front pads 3 times, and use the cheap EBC organic pads (non metallic) from denniskirk.com. Don't get the metallic or semi metallic pads. The Vulcan's rotors weren't designed for them, it won't stop as well, and while the pads last longer, they wear down the rotors. Jerry.
Yes i need new Rotors... they aren't just deeply grooved, but very glazed and have heat cracks as well. My bike is very low miles, but was very neglected in its past life.

Thanks Lance for the link... those look nice... hopefully soon I get my bonus money from my deployment so I can afford them.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 09:29 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Wow. Cracked rotors? I have seen rotors cut all to pieces from contact with the metal backing plates on the pads, but I have never seen rotors with cracks before.

Here are the pads I use. They work great, and after 43,000 miles, my rotors still look new. Jerry.

http://tiny.cc/0Xndq

I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker.

1997 Vulcan 750, purchased about a week ago
2006 Sportster 1200 Low
2013 Royal Enfield Bullet 500, converted to carb
2001 Yamaha XT225, heavily modified
2004 Honda Rebel 250
1979 Vespa P200E
2002 Vulcan 750 parts bike
1994 Yamaha XT225 parts bike
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Sparky!!!

Garage
your link didn't work Jerry... but yea this isn't the first time I have seen cracked rotors... It doesn't take much to make them crack from heat... an inexperienced rider has a tendency to ride the brakes, which causes excessive heat... excessive heat fallowed by sudden cooling= cracked rotors... I should also mention that the cracks aren't all the way through the rotors...but they are there just enough to make me worry... I am known through out the automotive world for my "temporary" permanent fixes... Meaning I will do a quick repair to get something back on the road as quickly as possible while waitng for the right part to come in... I guarantee that my temp fix will work for a certain amount of time, but needs to be fixed the right way before the end of my temp fix guarantee. but usually I will see my temp fix come back years later (not weeks or months as I had said). Now my relevance to this is... I do not attempt a quick fix on breaks, and frames... pretty much every thing else goes... but Brakes are way to important and too much of a liability to cut corners. I feel my breaks are heading south, and for "my' piece of mind... I am going to redo the brakes the way I see fit... meaning if I feel that rotors are bad whether they are or aren't... in my mind they are bad, so they are bad. If they aren't bad... I still worry... so I will replace them.

I am going to be replacing the fallowing
Front Rotors
Pads
Calipers
Lines
Rear Shoes
any hardware inside the rear break assembly
wheel bearings
and any other part I see in need of replacement while I am doing the brake work.

People bring me their cars for break work, because I have the reputation of doing a complete job, not just a pad and shoe replacement. And i do it for less than the break shop wants just for pad and shoe replacement.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

Slim - if you decide to look at used, I still have the ones from my 96.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement