Mickey Thompson Sportsman??? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2009, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Mickey Thompson Sportsman???

Has anyone tried the Mickey Thompson Sportsman Front #1572 on the 750?
Summitt shows the numbers....on the 26 x 7.50- 15.
Rim 3.5 to 6.5..
diameter-- 26inches
section width-- 6.30
tread width-- 4.80
non-directional
I'm lowering my '86 with 11" progressive shocks and thinking of these tires for long life and lowering the RPM's a little...

Also, I know I saw somewhere that someone was running Darkside on the front...where do I find that info again?

Thanks, Grits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 01:46 AM
Linkmeister Supreme

Link to MTS Front tire #1572: http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...SportsmanFront

To the best of my knowledge no one here has tried to use the MTS Front tire to darkside a vn7XX. / I suggest you go to a darkside forum to get some good info about it. To my knowledge only a couple of members here have gone to the darkside on their vn700-750s. Here are a couple of links to crznurs and her experience, and enthusiastic positive response to using a car tire (CT) on the rear wheel of her vn700.

https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ght=vredestien
https://www.vn750.com/forum/showthrea...ght=vredestien

I can`t make a direct link to a couple of darkside forums for some reason, but go to Delphi forums, and you will find Riding the Darkside forum there. They have some size charts for various mc to ct conversions, and at least one link to another darkside site.

If your reference to "running Darkside on the front" means running a ct on the front, I do not think it is possible. Maybe on a trike or a sidecar rig, but not on a two wheeled motorcycle.

It is possible to run a mc rear tire on the front , but the direction of tire rotation must be opposite to that shown with the directional arrow, due to the major forces at work on the front tire will come while braking, not accelerating forward. This is a very abbreviated explanation of the reason for doing this. A much clearer explanation of tire costruction is given in the darkside forums. You will just have to search a little.

Here is a link to the author of the "Life is a Road" series of motorcycle stories, Daniel Meyers. He has driven over 100k miles on a darkside 2000 Honda Valkarie, 1600cc, flat 6 heavy cruiser. His reasons for doing so are explained in this link:

http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/...eDarkSide.html

(After you read that, come back to the top and click on Road Stories. Read the first one called "The Bet". I`ll bet you can`t stop at just one. I spent the best part of two days reading everything there. Now I want his whole collection of books.)

Gordon

1991 VN 750 -"Cosmic Lady" or "Bad Girl"?
Purchased May 16, 2008
Approx.19,300km (12,000 miles)

H-D windshield
Relocated R/R
MF-AGM battery
Fiamm Freeway Blaster horns
F&S luggage rack and engine guard
Kury Offset Hiway pegs
July 13, 2016, Riding on the DARKSIDE now, Classic Radial 165/80-15

TOP TEN THINGS A NEW RIDER/OWNER SHOULD DO. Click on link.
https://www.vn750.com/forum/11-vn750-general-discussion/9127-top-ten-items-you-would-suggest-new-owner-do-his-new-ride.html

Last edited by OlHossCanada; 12-12-2009 at 02:08 AM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help OldHose...

I've already done a lot of searching and have been to the sites you mentioned,
except the stories....
As a matter of fact, this lengthy searching and learning is what has me thinking about the Darkside to start with.

But I dont seem to be very efficient or effective in my searches, as I get a lot of general info and info on other bikes, but not very much on the VN750 Specifically.

The Vredestien sounds good but the diameter is under 26" so the RPMs will stay high. I'm getting up my nerve to try the MT Front....on the rear.
My bike has a new 90/90-19 RWL Elite on the front and I'm thinking of replacing it with something bigger to correct the speedometer...110/90-19. The rear has a good looking Qualifier on, but I'm afraid it may be old, and I cant find the date anywhere on it...

I'm lowering the rear with 11" pro shocks for looks and to make my legs longer.....even though I know I'll sacrifice a little in handling and ground clearance. If it's too low I'll put the original shocks back on and sell the Progressive ones.

KnifeBreaker thinks I'm Nuts....and he's right! .....But I just HAVE to try things...

Thanks again....Grits

BTW....when can you ride again??

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grits View Post
The rear has a good looking Qualifier on, but I'm afraid it may be old, and I cant find the date anywhere on it...
The manufacture date should be either three or four digits molded into the sidewall. First two digits are the week of the year it was produced and the last one or two are the year. If it has a three digit code, it was made before the year 2000. Tires made after then will have four.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
The manufacture date should be either three or four digits molded into the sidewall. First two digits are the week of the year it was produced and the last one or two are the year. If it has a three digit code, it was made before the year 2000. Tires made after then will have four.
Thanks FleaControl,

I've tried to find that code, but with all my titanium plates, rods and pins, I cant lean down, squat down or kneel down, so I'll have to jack the bike up, or get someone else to read it for me. Surely it's there somewhere! It's a Qualifier and the bike only had just over 8000 miles, so I'll bet it's the original...

.....Ol'MetalGrits
Sponsored Links
Advertisement