Any comments on Pirelli MT66 tires? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 03:36 PM Thread Starter
Love My Baby

Any comments on Pirelli MT66 tires?

Read the verses, searched the net and I've tentatively decided on purchasing Pirelli MT66 tires, front & rear, to replace my stock Bridgestones at just over 10,000 miles.

Before taking the plunge, I'd really like to hear from some of my VN750.com buddies who may be riding with these babies. Any comments or experiences you can share with me?

Thanks all...

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 04:35 PM

I replaced my stock Bridgestones with the MT66s at about 12K mi. My impressions are that the rear tire is really quite round. I don't think there is any chance of wearing off the chicken strips on that tire. My other observation is that they don't seem to stick quite as well. I've had the rear slip on me a bit a couple of times when the stock Bridgestones never did. They do have the advantage of lacking a center groove which was one criteria I had when looking for replacements. All and all, I'm not in love with these tires. I'll do some more searching before I buy new ones.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

I put Pirelli Rt66 on both my bikes shortly after I got them. Since these are my first bikes, I don't have other tires to compare them to. I put 6,000 miles on the VN750, and the tires look almost new to me. I don't think I'm too hard on the throttle, which may be a contributing factor to tire longevity. I try to avoid riding in the rain, but have been caught in some storms on a couple of occasions. I didn't notice any slipping problems, but I ride more conservatively in the rain, so that may not be a good comparison.

In short, I like them and it looks like they will go at least 12,000 miles before they need to be replaced.

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Undercover Sportbiker

I have zero personal experience, but here is a review from the Ninja 250 board, based on experience form multiple riders:

This is basically a Harley tire. The tire life is good, but the tire has almost no wet traction, so it would be a poor choice for touring (even though it's labeled as a touring tire). It's made for long, straight, dry stretches of interstate. The cornering on dry roads is no better than the stock rear. Crawling to a stop at a light in the rain is annoying as well.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-08-2009, 09:41 PM

I have them on mine and have almost 7000 miles on them. I only have about 1200 miles on bald stock tires to compare them too so I couldn't really say how they compare to others, but I am very happy with them. I have ridden in the rain a couple times an haven't had any problems, but I don't ride in the rain like an idiot either. My rear tire is starting to show some wear, but I'm thinking I can probably get 10k out of it. The front still looks new. All in all they didn't cost an arm and a leg and they seem to do the job. I'll probably get them again when the time comes.

Mom, I'm not wearing my helmet only for the purpose of taking this picture and
the background was digitally blurred to make it look like I'm going really fast.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Have 'em and like 'em.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:26 AM

One more thing to notice. You will definitely wear off the chicken strips on the front long before you do on the back. The rear has a rounder profile, at least when mounted, than the front does.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 06:26 AM Thread Starter
Love My Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworth View Post
I replaced my stock Bridgestones with the MT66s at about 12K mi. My impressions are that the rear tire is really quite round. I don't think there is any chance of wearing off the chicken strips on that tire. My other observation is that they don't seem to stick quite as well. I've had the rear slip on me a bit a couple of times when the stock Bridgestones never did. They do have the advantage of lacking a center groove which was one criteria I had when looking for replacements. All and all, I'm not in love with these tires. I'll do some more searching before I buy new ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jworth View Post
One more thing to notice. You will definitely wear off the chicken strips on the front long before you do on the back. The rear has a rounder profile, at least when mounted, than the front does.
Thanks Jworth. But I got two questions for you.
1. Does the front tire not last as long as the rear? Or as long as the front Bridgestone? Ususally a front tire will last almost twice as long as a rear.
2. Why don't you like a center grove in the rear tire? I would think that would be an excellent rain channel.

Rubyrick

MY BABY...
'05 VN750
16,000 miles +
Kawi tank bib
Kawi rear rack
Small windshield
DEKA M/F battery
VN750.com Grill Cover
LED license plate frame
Clear Alternatives LED brake light
Cortech mini tank bag on rear rack
Pirelli MT66 Tires: 110 front / 150 rear
Splines lubed when tires installed at 10,650 miles
Splines lubed again at 14,400 with stubby valve stem install

Place your mouse on the X below and drag to the O

X
Even though you can't see Him, GOD is there! O
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 11:04 AM

I have put bout 3k on the MT66 tires with no complaints. Not aggresive when riding in the rain, that said, no traction problems wet or dry. I did oversize front and back with no problems that I can perceive other than when on the open road the tires seemed to kinda wander and not track rock solid straight. But, that could be anything, tire pressure, etc. I currently run 36psi front and back only because that was the installers recommendation and they sell a ton of the Pirellis. The center groove issue is a tracking concern like in respect to bridge grates and road seems, as I understand it. Compared to the wife's Metzeler 880s, I find 'em comparable...my 2c.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2009, 12:25 PM

My vn750 isn't my primary bike so while I've had these tires a while, I've not put lots of miles on them. I haven't put enough to know how they are going to wear out relative to one another or previous tires. My stock tires on this bike wore at pretty much the same rate. I replaced them both at the same time and they both needed it. That is going to vary depending on how a particular individual rides, their weight, bike loads, etc. Point is, I don't know how they are going to wear. They do seem to have rather deep tread channels if that counts for anything.

As far as the center grove is concerned, the center grove in a tire will tend to track rain groves that they put in some pavement. They say it isn't unsafe, but it sure feels weird and I don't much care for it. I imagine that effect would be reduced on the rear tire as compared to the front. Nothing wrong with that center grove as far as channeling water. Well maybe. The way I see it, I'd rather have groves that are diagonal from the center out towards the edge. That'd get the water actually out from under the tire as compared to shifting it fore or aft. That said, the groves on the MT66 aren't that way either. They're not a straight central grove, but the center groves do not connect to those on the outside of the tire IIRC.

I have heard/seen pics of of some tires failing at the center grove. That might be anecdotal, but it still gets my attention. I really don't think that is a big risk, but once you've seen it, it's hard to get that out of your mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement