Heim joint rigid? - Kawasaki Vulcan 750 Forum : Kawasaki VN750 Forums
Wheels, Suspension and Brakes
Everything to do with wheels, tires,
suspension, forks and brakes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-23-2009, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Heim joint rigid?

Has anybody ever tried using heim joints with a steel sleeve to replace the shocks? If it worked it would be nice to have an adjustable rigid frame...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

I'm open to opinions, it may be a bad idea but i wanted to bring it up, i searched the forums and i can't find anything on heim joints.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM
Members who have donated towards server costs

Well, I had to google it to figure out what it was, so you probably want someone more knowledgeable to comment! Welcome to the forum though!

I'm keepin' all the left over parts. I'm gonna use 'em to build another bike!

Old Blue
2001 Honda CMX250 Rebel acquired July, 2008

1987 VN750 project bike, acquired August, 2009, 33,000 miles and balancer sticking out of the case, currently awaiting attention and parts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-24-2009, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Thank you, heim joints are very strong and should hold up well. On my quads, i replace the tie rod ends with heim joints, i have had good luck with them, and there not to expensive, and i can have the sleeve powdercoated to match the bike.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Old Fart

Garage
Heim joints are usefull for parts that need to move in 3 dimensions of one another, and as the rear shocks on our bike only need to move in 2 in relation to the top and bottom mount, there be no usefull advantage in using a heim joint over a simple rolling bushing (like the ones currently on our rear shocks)

As for using to adjust height, you might have a idea there, but the the threads would have to be pretty heavy duty and it might be hard building the two sides so each exactly the same length.

If you want a rigid rear, as in replacing the rear shocks with sold bars, the less joints, parts you have the stronger it would be. Things that have threads on them tend to loosen up on motorcycles, but I imagine you could just overbuild some really heavy chunk of metal with big thick heim joints at both ends, with double locking nuts on each threaded joint head, and accomplish what you are talking about here...it just be alot cheaper, stronger and weight alot less just to weld up the rear with 1/1/2" tubing on each side...(of course it would not be adjustable, but what is the point of making it adjustable anyway?)

KM

If You Are Not Sure If I Am Joking or Not....I AM !!Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/knifemaker1954/sets/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement